Volunteering

Jack_Pine

Full time employment: Posting here.
Might have bee done before........

3 years away but wondering what type of volunteering (for those who are interested) opportunities have you all found? What have you found to be rewarding?

Did it relate to your career or just based on need?

I started taking classes through the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at our local university. I volunteer by organizing science classes for them. I've put on two classes in the past year. It keeps me involved with science. My previous w*rk experience was as an engineer for a Dept of Energy national lab. I am also on their curriculum committee. I've been ER'd for a little more than 2 yrs.

Might have bee done before........

3 years away but wondering what type of volunteering (for those who are interested) opportunities have you all found? What have you found to be rewarding?
Police work.
Did it relate to your career or just based on need?
Totally different from my working daze as a pencil pusher.

I did Habitat for Humanity for a while. Of course, when they saw my capabilities, they wanted me to take on a leadership role - AKA -turn it into a job. I bailed out and have been happy to have no regularly scheduled commitments since.

Also hard on the elbow, swingin' a hammer. :(

I started taking classes through the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at our local university. I volunteer by organizing science classes for them. I've put on two classes in the past year. It keeps me involved with science. My previous w*rk experience was as an engineer for a Dept of Energy national lab. I am also on their curriculum committee. I've been ER'd for a little more than 2 yrs.

Sounds great.

I had just completed the Master Gardener training when I retired. So, I volunteer in a demonstration vegetable garden and give workshops on how to grow vegetables in a home garden.

I added a second volunteer opportunity last summer when the food bank in my town added a vegetable garden and small orchard to help feed their clients. So, I work there too. In the middle of summer I work 4 mornings a week gardening and in winter it's down to 2 mornings.

Sure you can help me here.......Police work?

Should I thank you for your service?
Well now...aren't you nice? :) Nah...gratitude should go to our real heroes that deal with serious circumstances everyday.

Our city offered a nine week citizen's police academy. I loved it and told them I would be available to volunteer if they needed me. Ended up volunteering for almost ten years. During my seventh year at the police department, I started volunteering for the court as well.

Those years were very rewarding for me. :)

Police work.
Totally different from my working daze as a pencil pusher.

Well now...aren't you nice? :) Nah...gratitude should go to our real heroes that deal with serious circumstances everyday.

Our city offered a nine week citizen's police academy. I loved it and told them I would be available to volunteer if they needed me. Ended up volunteering for almost ten years. During my seventh year at the police department, I started volunteering for the court as well.

Great, not trying to ping you.

Last edited:
I've been volunteering by helping organize a number of local music festivals (Jazz and Blues, Fiddlers Convention). Also have started working with the Coastal Bays organization, doing some conservation work. From there I've moved into working with the state Herp Atlas, which consists of wandering around in nature looking for and documenting the various snakes, lizards, salamanders, and turtles that exist in the area. That's a tough one, lol. I'm getting ready to start working on Master Naturalist certification, similar to KBs Master Gardener, but aimed at wild plants and critters.

Truth be told, it's all getting a little demanding. It's fun, but does at time seem to become like w*rk. I'm thinking of dropping out of the music side and just attending the fests, although I'll always be available to help out with the day-of stuff like setting up and tearing down. My concern with volunteering was always the way it has a tendency to suck you in more than you plan in the beginning. You have to set your boundries and stick with them.

Volunteering is a great opportunity in ER that many of us do not have in our pre-retirement lives or at least is very limited because of Work. Also, for those who are used to donating a portion of their income to charity, it becomes a delay to ER if you wish to continue. If you are used to donating 10% of your income to charity, in order to continue that in retirement at the same $$ value, you would need to save an additional 2.5 Years of salary in your nest egg, which is a meaningful delay for most. Transition from $$$ charity to volunteering makes sense on many levels.

Volunteer...
The word kinda pulls up an image of doing something for free, that other people get paid to do. By those standards, I think I wouldn't qualify, but...

Things to do since retirement? Almost nothing that required a long term commitment, but FWIW... some stuff that I do/have done for fun.
...Scout leader
...Taught computer classes 7 years
...Taught Small Business Administration Classes
...Grief Counseling
...Helped widows with financial/legal management
...Organized, planned and worked to put on more than 50 parties and events in our senior community
...Salvaged, repaired and maintained bikes for the whole community
...EMT-Type on-call for emergencies and night time illnesses
...Car, appliance, repair
...Free computer repair in home 13 years
...Emcee'd events
...Marina maintenance
...RV/boat compound maintenance
...Put up/take down clubhouse decorations 100+ times
...Help with pool maintenance
...Assisted with patriotic celebrations... Veterans day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July and for veterans burials for 22 years
...Set up and run the community Website
...Walk dogs, do errands for shut ins.
...Provide small parts, specialized tools, ladders, garden equipment etc, for the neighborhood.
...Dish washing for Saturday community breakfasts
...Bingo Caller
...Storm clean up
...HOA board member
...String Band member
... Alligator watch :)

This is really pretty funny.. If asked, I'd probably say I don't volunteer for anything because I'd consider things like "meals on wheels", "habitat", or hospital work to be "volunteering" because it means making a commitment, and I value my freedom too much to do that. Have not "earned" even one thin dime since 1989, but wouldn't trade any of these fun things for any amount of money.

Life is good.

Last edited:
Volunteer...
The word kinda pulls up an image of doing something for free, that other people get paid to do. By those standards, I think I wouldn't qualify, but...

Things to do since retirement? Almost nothing that required a long term commitment, but FWIW... some stuff that I do/have done for fun.
...Scout leader
...Taught computer classes 7 years
...Taught Small Business Administration Classes
...Grief Counseling
...Helped widows with financial/legal management
...Organized, planned and worked to put on more than 50 parties and events in our senior community
...Salvaged, repaired and maintained bikes for the whole community
...EMT-Type on-call for emergencies and night time illnesses
...Car, appliance, repair
...Free computer repair in home 13 years
...Emcee'd events
...Marina maintenance
...RV/boat compound maintenance
...Put up/take down clubhouse decorations 100+ times
...Help with pool maintenance
...Assisted with patriotic celebrations... Veterans day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July and for veterans burials for 22 years
...Set up and run the community Website
...Walk dogs, do errands for shut ins.
...Provide small parts, specialized tools, ladders, garden equipment etc, for the neighborhood.
...Dish washing for Saturday community breakfasts
...Bingo Caller
...Storm clean up
...HOA board member
...String Band member
... Alligator watch :)

This is really pretty funny.. If asked, I'd probably say I don't volunteer for anything because I'd consider things like "meals on wheels", "habitat", or hospital work to be "volunteering" because it means making a commitment, and I value my freedom too much to do that. Have not "earned" even one thin dime since 1989, but wouldn't trade any of these fun things for any amount of money.

Life is good.

OK, point is:confused:

Nature foundation. I do trail work, lead some hikes, and maintain their web site. Much of it can be done whenever I like, as long as it's reasonably timely.

I'm thinking of also being a volunteer fireman. They have pros too, so as I understand it the volunteers do things like hook up hoses. No rushing into burning buildings. Not sure though, since it requires being on call. No taking off for a 3 hour trail run or hike.

My main volunteer work is in the local School Scrabble program. Since 2001, I have been visiting a few area schools and act as a guru to the middle-school-aged kids in the club. I have also been running small tourneys among the schools since 2005. I find it a big ego trip and enjoy working with the kids, especially the better ones who can really benefit from my more advanced strategies.

I have also helped out at a college square dance class. The caller in my evening dances teaches a class and I help him out. What's not to like about having a class of pretty 20-year-old girls? :)

It is only once a year, but I help out my co-op board every year by overseeing the board elections and determining a quorum at the annual meeting. I put my spreadsheet skills I used at my job to work here with good results. They are very appreciative and my work gives me some added credibility when I make suggestions to the board on other issues.

Meals On Wheels driver. Unrelated to work life. I like to eat, thought others might enjoy it as well.;)

For several years after retirement I taught a basic computing class for immigrants trying to upgrade their skills. It was twice a week for 18 weeks per semester. Unfortunately, I had to stop because I increased travel and couldn't commit for the full period. I now serve as a tech fix-it guy for a non-profit that helps old folks age in place in my neighborhood.

Both unrelated to my career:

Volunteer tax preparer through Tax Aide for 5 years now.

Volunteer GED Math instructor through various local non-profits for 4 years.

I also spent some time training to be a SHIP (Senior Health Insurance Program) volunteer to help with Medicare choices, but did not find that to be a comfortable fit for me.

Another Master Gardener here, was a docent at a botanical garden, before moving to the homestead. Just resigned from our volunteer fire dept, faced the fact that hearing loss was putting myself and other FF in danger. Help with the local food coop, assist researchers at the Southwest Research Center, with mostly native plant, bird, and herp studies. I am still the town go to guy, when a strong back and weak mind are needed.

Peace Corps. When I was there, about 10% of volunteers were over 50. PC was looking for more older volunteers. Full service is a 2 year commitment (you can leave at anytime). They also have a new program Peace Corps Response where volunteer time is shorter and many positions only require life experience (vs. Peace Corps) to land the position. While PC had its problems, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I did serve with my DW. However, it will make it harder to find a position when there are two people.

I've done this same thing for many years, and also participated in our town's CERT program. Enjoyed it very much. Plan to also get involved with Habitat for Humanity. DW too volunteers with our DPS.

Volunteering is a great way to get to know your local community and each time I've moved I've made a special point to step out of my comfort zone a little and help out in new ways. I've had fun and helped out others - it's a good deal. Here's the current list..

Build exhibits for a children's museum
Teach adult reading (literacy program)
Help out raising funds, sweeping floors and packing boxes for SIGN (bone nails for poor places)

I'm on the local United Way Board and also serve on several committees and volunteer in other ways (some related to my w*rk and others not).

Just wrapping up a term on my church board, also leading a taskforce (related to my w*rk), sing in the choir, and do various other volunteer activities there.

Serve on a committee of our church's regional denomination office (not related to my w*rk).

Occasionally serve dinner to inner city homeless folks (some of my other commitments have interfered with that recently).

Serving on the team for a spiritual retreat weekend in August.

Sing in a community choir of a local university that needs additional voices to do major choral works.

Yes, I am very busy!

The only volunteering I do is here, as a moderator on ER.org.

ETA: I volunteered for a couple of years as a science teacher in an inner city school. I stopped following threats to my safety. I later volunteered as a chemistry lecturer in high performing high schools and that was fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom