VPN using / Internet security

FIREarly

Recycles dryer sheets
Read another article about internet security and hiding from the internet.

This topic is about using a VPN as one method of security and privacy.

What VPN do you use?
Why do you like it?
How much is it per month?
Any other thoughts on the VPN topic.

I use Private Internet Access. I think it's $39.99 a year. I don't want to look it up right now. I have heard techno people say it is easy to trace someone using a VPN to their real ISP. But I think that might be true only if they are looking in real time not after the fact.

The bad news is most important sites you do business with banks, brokerages, credit cards, and might want the added security with, seem to know you are using a VPN and won't let you in. They even send a pop up telling to to turn off the VPN.

Long story short you're not all that invisible. At best it will keep your real ISP from being seen at a site but even that, supposedly is not totally safe.

Do I like mine? I guess so.

I use Private Internet Access. I think it's $39.99 a year. I don't want to look it up right now. I have heard techno people say it is easy to trace someone using a VPN to their real ISP. But I think that might be true only if they are looking in real time not after the fact.

The bad news is most important sites you do business with banks, brokerages, credit cards, and might want the added security with, seem to know you are using a VPN and won't let you in. They even send a pop up telling to to turn off the VPN.

Long story short you're not all that invisible. At best it will keep your real ISP from being seen at a site but even that, supposedly is not totally safe.

Do I like mine? I guess so.

@razztazz appreciate your response.

1. How did you pick Private Internet Access?
2. Does it let you pick what country you appear to be viewing from or auto-change each time?

The IP address is similar to your computer's "name". Thinking about getting a VPN but it's low on the priority list right now. Looking for people's first hand experience with VPN.

@razztazz thank you!

If you primarily want privacy you can try the Brave browser with Tor for free. No tracking and Tor scrambles your IP.

I use NordVPN, which can usually be had for about $3/month with various discounts and coupons you can find. It does have the ability to let you connect through servers located in many different countries, which is known as "location spoofing". I've been using it for about six years now, and I have no real complaints. It works perfectly well for what I want to do with it. It has apps for Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, and FireTV (among others) and I've used them all with no issues.

@razztazz appreciate your response.

1. How did you pick Private Internet Access?
2. Does it let you pick what country you appear to be viewing from or auto-change each time?

The IP address is similar to your computer's "name". Thinking about getting a VPN but it's low on the priority list right now. Looking for people's first hand experience with VPN.

@razztazz thank you!

This is where simply being popular counts. I was researching /shopping for VPNs and Private Internet Access kept coming up. In various lists of comparisons PIA kept coming up as A) Good and B) affordable

Yes, it gives you a long list of countries you can snag an ISP from. It's selectable

If you primarily want privacy you can try the Brave browser with Tor for free. No tracking and Tor scrambles your IP.

This is what I do when I need some privacy and close the blinds. Simple and did someone say free? :popcorn:

I have ExpressVPN. I end up turning it off as many sites will require a Captcha to use them if you are on a VPN. Captchas have gotten more and more annoying as they try to stay ahead of the bots.

You need to spend some time on any VPN website to determine if (1) they track you, and (2) if you can select the country server where you establish the connection.

That said, most financial sites still won't let you in. If you intend to check balances or do other banking activities, you get better protection using the institution's app on your phone/tablet rather than an internet connection.

I use PIA because it doesn't track, and I can select a country server to get a better connection. I don't do any financial stuff on my phone or tablet ever using the internet and a browser.

- Rita

I really don’t see any benefit in using a VPN, with maybe the exception of masking your location to defeat geographic blocking of streaming or other services.

For security, I don’t see any benefit. Almost all web sites are using https these days (thanks to folks like Lets Encrypt) - even this web site is encrypted. Certainly any website that transmits anything even mildly private will be using https.

Likewise all apps on iOS are forced to use https. Android defaults to this, but I’m not certain if it’s enforced. Regardless, any important app would be using https.

Oh, I should have mentioned that https is http (the web’s protocol) with security added. You can tell if it’s active by looking for the lock icon in your web browser address bar.

Most apps use this protocol for internet communications as well.

The security is provided by encrypting the data using public key encryption.

VPNs are not needed unless you're attempting to hide where you're going or what you're doing on the web. Nearly every website you access provides encryption between you and them. And if you use a VPN service you better trust them 100% because all your traffic goes through them. Most browsers won't allow you or make it difficult for you to connect to non encrypted sites.

Your biggest risk is YOU! Clicking on stuff you shouldn't, falling for phishing scams, and putting private data in unencrypted emails(big no-no) and text messages.

Google "Do I need a VPN" and read responses from tech boards/magazines/bloggers and not VPN providers.

Last edited:
I really don’t see any benefit in using a VPN, with maybe the exception of masking your location to defeat geographic blocking of streaming or other services...

Well, I use my Synology file server as a VPN (when I travel), so one advantage for me is that my financial/banking type apps see my home IP address, and therefore have no problem letting me into their sites.

Back
Top Bottom