Wasting time

Woodsrider

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am not retired yet but was hanging out with a friend that is. He mentioned that he had been wasting a lot of time. I asked him a few questions about that but was not happy with the answer. If you are retired what is wasting time? The best answer that I have been able to come up with is doing something that you place a low value on.

Wasting time to me would be spending most of the day watching TV or surfing around on the computer like a couch potato. I just retired and want to take retirement at a leisurely pace but I also have goals and activities that I want to pursue. To achieve these, I know I need to sometimes push myself to make it happen. That is just my personality.

Last edited:
Any time I'm not "accomplishing" something I feel like I've wasted my time. Sometimes I have to remind myself that's why I retired!

The to-do list hasn't gotten any shorter, but I like to think that I've tackled most of the big stuff and am working down to the smaller/cheaper/easier stuff. I spent yesterday moving from one small, unscheduled task to the next. Some that weren't even on the list. It felt pretty good.

So, while I may SAY that I'm wasting time, the fact is, I AM getting stuff done.

I still do some of the things that I used to do just to kill time at w*rk, like posting on forums like this ;)

For me, not so much wasting time but noticing how fast time seems to be going by, now that I'm getting up there. Noel Coward is quoted as saying "The awful thing about getting old is that you have breakfast every half-hour.” I didn't appreciate what he meant by that when I was younger. Now the feeling for me that weeks can go by in a blink maybe exacerbates the feeling that surprisingly little was "accomplished" during that time, when in fact there was ample stuff done? I dunno.

I don’t really understand the concept of “wasting time” in retirement. It must mean not doing something else that needs doing? Procrastinating? My “wasting” might be your leisure?

Wasting time is a noble undertaking, an achievement the idle rich and retired are best positioned to attain. It gives the term 'carpe diem' an entirely new meaning. :)

When I retired, I took to wasting time like a duck to water :dance:.

Any time I'm not "accomplishing" something I feel like I've wasted my time. Sometimes I have to remind myself that's why I retired!

I still do some of the things that I used to do just to kill time at w*rk, like posting on forums like this ;)

That's actually a very big hurdle to overcome. along with the "when is enough, enough".

I think we are just trained to be "doing something". even when I was full time, on the weekend I really had to ask myself "why isn't doing nothing an option".
I think we are just "wired" to believe that at the end of the night if we can't put check marks next to a list of things, we've "wasted" a day. :(

I still have brief flashes of that.

Going back to 1989 to the beginning of retirement. All of a sudden an extra 50 to 60 hours every week, (2500+ hours per year) with nothing that MUST be done.

So, what's the plan? Never had a plan. Just Freedom!

Let's back up to life's time:.... 8 hours of sleep... 1 1/2 hour getting up/going to bed, 1 1/2 hr of meals total of 11 hours/day or total of 4015 hours.

24 hours x 365 days = 8760 total hour in a year.

Then, before retirement, 8760 minus 4015 hours minus 2500 work hours equals 2245 hours that you already had of fun time, free time... your time, to organize and plan for how your live would be spent... vacations, work around the house, and to do all of those things like paying bills, shopping, visiting and whatever one does before retirement.

If you can buy that, and realize that your pre retirement years meant that you packed your "free" time into 2245 hours, (6 hours a day)... then... hang in there...
All of a sudden you have and EXTRA 2500 hours to do whatever you want. That's an EXTRA 7 hours a day... or a total of 13 hours of complete freedom every day, to do what you want, when you want... or not.

For some, a running start on the "bucket list", for others adjusting to that "anxiety" part of the brain that just disappeared.

In the immediate aftermath of work, for varying periods of hours, to maybe a year... the adjustment period of catching up, or perhaps the organized implementation of the plan that was years in the making. Moving, upgrading the house, reworking the finances, or maybe going on that dream vacation.
But that's just the beginning and for some, a critical time.

So here's my observation of two extremes. Roughly the difference of what we saw in two retirement communities, with couples in the beginning of retirement, ages 55 to 65... all walks of life, but mostly middle income working class folks. A large middle group between extremes, but basically two types of retirees.

1. Retirement to peace, quiet and relaxation. Wide open social schedule, subject to change at a minutes notice. Whatever feels good at the moment. Strangely enough, not what you'd call free spirits. More of a "going with the flow". At the same time, a general avoidance of any commitments, or anything that could resemble work or obligation.

2. Enthusiastic involvement in everything possible. Trip planning, volunteering, social engagements with other couple, or involvement in planning events, parties etc. Also, for some, a carryover of "work" in part time interests... fixing, consulting, teaching, organizing and generally staying busy.

In a community of 360 homes, perhaps 100 in the 1. class, 150 in the 2. class, and the rest, somewhere in between. This, in a community that would be considered active.

One personal observation. Having lived in that retirement community for over 25 years: The pattern was set when the new family moved in. Those who spent most of their time at home, continued to stay apart, while those who "joined in" in the beginning, continued to be active throughout. Not surprising I suppose, but in retrospect, those who got involved early, always seemed happier and younger... even into their 80's.

I suppose this is a no brainer, but I'm reminded of the saying "As the twig is bent...", and think that that first period of time after leaving the workplace could pave the way for the coming 30 or 40 years.

:cool:

Last edited:
Well, I pretty much equate wasting time with being leisurely, so yeah..I guess I waste a lot of time. Then again, it's not wasted at all...I enjoy all of it, even when I don't get squat done...so I guess I don't waste time at all.

+1 on the comments about time going WAY TOO FAST, though! I do NOT like that part of retirement.

I would interpret wasting time to mean spending time doing something you don't enjoy, possibly because you're bored and don't have anything interesting to occupy your attention.

If you enjoy surfing the web on your computer, it's not a waste of time. If you're doing it out of boredom, maybe it is.

Seems like a lot of things I could do are a waste of time.

I would interpret wasting time to mean spending time doing something you don't enjoy, possibly because you're bored and don't have anything interesting to occupy your attention.

+1 Agreed!

By this definition, I wasted a lot of time while at w*rk! :facepalm:

Taking an afternoon nap, mindlessly reading stuff on the web, hours spent on youtube, are all perfectly valid things to do in retirement. Wasn't that the point of retiring, so you didn't have to do stuff you didn't want to do?

There are days when I have things on my mental to do list that I want to accomplish. Or maybe not that specific day but I know I want to do those things. And, then I let the day or hours slip away without doing any of those things. I suddenly look up and I've spent a few hours surfing the web, reading Twitter, etc. Yes, I had fun and I enjoyed it so in a sense it wasn't wasted.

And, yet...it was in another way. I didn't make progress on things that if you had asked me if they were things I wanted to do more than surf the web or Twitter, I would have said yes they were. So, I did waste the time by not being productive on things that I wanted to be productive on.

I think wasting time is exactly what retirement brings. Forget that protestant work ethic.

I have a friend who watches old war movies. Not for me but who cares?

OTOH getting to the bucket list can be "w*rk"! We are in Beaune on our way to Nice. Lots of effort and pleasure. To pass without accomplishing those items would be a shame.

Wasting time to me would be spending most of the day watching TV or surfing around on the computer like a couch potato. I just retired and want to take retirement at a leisurely pace but I also have goals and activities that I want to pursue.

+1 Even sitting on the deck and reading is not a waste to me, but endless TV is. Travel is the best.

One man's leisure can be another's wasted time can be another's retirement.

How many times on this forum has a post started with "I don't worry/care about...."

Worry, now there is (was?) time wasted!

I think wasting time is exactly what retirement brings. Forget that protestant work ethic.

I have a friend who watches old war movies. Not for me but who cares?

OTOH getting to the bucket list can be "w*rk"! We are in Beaune on our way to Nice. Lots of effort and pleasure. To pass without accomplishing those items would be a shame.

We were in Beaune a couple of week’s ago on our barge trip. Really a lovely town. The hospital was very interesting.

Going back to 1989 to the beginning of retirement. All of a sudden an extra 50 to 60 hours every week, (2500+ hours per year) with nothing that MUST be done.

So, what's the plan? Never had a plan. Just Freedom!

In the immediate aftermath of work, for varying periods of hours, to maybe a year... the adjustment period of catching up, or perhaps the organized implementation of the plan that was years in the making. Moving, upgrading the house, reworking the finances, or maybe going on that dream vacation.
But that's just the beginning and for some, a critical time.

So here's my observation of two extremes. Roughly the difference of what we saw in two retirement communities, with couples in the beginning of retirement, ages 55 to 65... all walks of life, but mostly middle income working class folks. A large middle group between extremes, but basically two types of retirees.

1. Retirement to peace, quiet and relaxation. Wide open social schedule, subject to change at a minutes notice. Whatever feels good at the moment. Strangely enough, not what you'd call free spirits. More of a "going with the flow". At the same time, a general avoidance of any commitments, or anything that could resemble work or obligation.

2. Enthusiastic involvement in everything possible. Trip planning, volunteering, social engagements with other couple, or involvement in planning events, parties etc. Also, for some, a carryover of "work" in part time interests... fixing, consulting, teaching, organizing and generally staying busy.

In a community of 360 homes, perhaps 100 in the 1. class, 150 in the 2. class, and the rest, somewhere in between. This, in a community that would be considered active.

:cool:

I read your observation/comments about retirement and the two types of retirees, and found them to be similar to mine.

We've lived in a larger gated retirement community of SFHs and THs than what you've mentioned. Coming up on 10 years now and have been retired for 8 of those years. Did some "very" part-time consulting during most of those years, but worked from home and on my own time frame. Haven't done any real consulting in a couple of years now.

Since retiring - we've spent every winter south (Florida, Alabama, etc) and summers back in the midwest. Travel started out iffy and try as we might, haven't increased it much over iffy. We traveled extensively during my working years due to job perks (business travel benefits), so "been there done that" is more of an issue for us with places to go.

I agree with your observation of your neighbors in your retirement community. I would say that your (2) categories are in line with my observations. We have a single family home and like to putter in the yard. This is not the case with just about all of our SFH neighbors. Most move in and hire landscapers to make major changes to the look shortly afterwards. Unfortunately, as time goes on, those improvements are in need of maintenance/repair which usually isn't done.

They also make major changes to the homes. The community is just +/-15 years old so changes of exterior/interior items are where there is still plenty of useful life. Plenty of roofs upgraded to architectural from 3-tab (some of this from roofers convincing them they've incurred ice damage). None of the THs have had roofs replaced (storms didn't damage their roofs....). All of the roofs are 25 year warranty shingles. Throw in siding, windows, a/c and furnaces, patios, flooring (new carpeting/wood flooring/tile), and home improvement in our neighborhood is booming after every home improvement expo at our clubhouse. There are always unmarked white trucks along with fewer marked vehicles doing work around here.

My observation is that in our 10 years, we've watched a lot of people come and go - not just due to illness/death, but more to this not being what they thought retirement would be for them. Downsizing from their SFH to TH is common. Relocating to be with family or for warmer climates is also common. The SFH homes with the most improvements seem to be sold more frequently.

There's always something to join for those looking for something to do. If you miss work - you can join a committee. There are all types of them and they seem to give those missing work a sense of importance again. We aren't of the committee type, but socialize at the clubhouse when we work out regularly (3X/wk). Surprisingly, very few take advantage of the excellent clubhouse/facilities, and we are on first name basis with the handful of those that exercise, and know many that are there for other activities. Yes, we are only 66/64, but of the handful that regularly exercise we are probably the youngest (oldest is 86 and puts me to shame with his workout regimen - been doing it for 30+ years since retiring).

I could go on about the buying and selling of motor homes, travel trailers, golf carts, and even 2nd homes (and the relocating of some to their second homes), but see this as all part of "retirement". Although some might consider a lot of this as wasted time and effort, I view it as just part of growing old (and having more money than when we were young) ;)

Back
Top Bottom