Wedding gift

Dd852

Full time employment: Posting here.
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a wedding but headed out next week. The couple have asked for money as a gift for their honeymoon. How much:confused: I’m sort of the groom’s godfather - he’s the son of my oldest friend. I was thinking 300; my wife thought 400. I honestly have no idea. Are we way high or way low? Any advice?

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a wedding but headed out next week. The couple have asked for money as a gift for their honeymoon. How much:confused: I’m sort of the groom’s godfather - he’s the son of my oldest friend. I was thinking 300; my wife thought 400. I honestly have no idea. Are we way high or way low? Any advice?
I once heard a good rule of thumb is to pay for your share of the wedding in cash. So that depends on how fancy the wedding is but $200/piece seems reasonable.

However since you're the godfather I would think you should be much more generous.

I've spent about $325 per niece on wedding gifts this year. Both gifts were off their registries though.

DD got married in April. Some close relatives gave the couple $500. Other cash gifts from friends and family were $100 - $200. The couple has a house and it's full of furnishings so they didn't need toasters, etc.

Last edited:
I think you're both in the ballpark given your close relationship with the father. When in doubt, if it doesn't pinch, go with the higher.

Right ball park. I might go higher if you are high net worth as, unfortunately, it seems to be expected. Otherwise $300-400 sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom