what a ride

bongo2

Recycles dryer sheets
Ten or fifteen years ago I thought it would be very cool to have a year where my investment gains were larger than my earned income. This happened in 2006, and it was cool. However, I just tallied up all my losses for this year, and, despite moving quite a bit of money to cash and making some bearish bets, I have still managed to lose considerably more in investments than my earned income this year.

Yeeee haw!

Ten or fifteen years ago I thought it would be very cool to have a year where my investment gains were larger than my earned income. This happened in 2006, and it was cool. However, I just tallied up all my losses for this year, and, despite moving quite a bit of money to cash and making some bearish bets, I have still managed to lose considerably more in investments than my earned income this year.

Yeeee haw!

Welcome to investing ! As they say " If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen ".

Yeeee haw!

I've gotten use to daily moves up and down that exceed my annual salary when I was working.

Who needs bungee jump, killer roller coasters or sky diving, the stock market is for real adrenaline junkies.

I've gotten use to daily moves up and down that exceed my annual salary when I was working.

Who needs bungee jump, killer roller coasters or sky diving, the stock market is for real adrenaline junkies.

In 2007 we made more off our investments than from our combined income. Now I am almost in the same boat as you, I see my daily ups and downs of around 1/2 our combined income. I have told this story several times, but I remember the first time I lost $1,000 in one day in the market (probably back in '91 or '92). Now I can lose that much in seconds. Fluctuations of $10,000 are very common. I wonder if I will ever get to the point where fluctuations of $100,000 are very common? Who knows.

I wonder if I will ever get to the point where fluctuations of $100,000 are very common? Who knows.
Maybe next year, if the huge increase in government spending (due to the bail-out plan) results in runaway inflation. But then I am no economist so I don't necessarily expect my inflation fears to be realized.

I hate seeing my nestegg fluctuating up and down so much, too. Even with a 45:55 equities:fixed asset allocation, I saw a year's expenses per day disappearing last week.

Not to brag, but counting from the top in Oct 2007, I am down $500K. Still, in terms of percentage, it is still quite a bit lower than the percentage Nords reported last weekend when he came back from a trip.:D

Up $57K on Monday. Slowly losing it back.

Oh, by the way, I am 62% in cash right now too! That's the really scary part. I thought I was being conservative.

Back
Top Bottom