What are y'all doing this w.e.

um....dh2b is leaving on a jet plane Sunday.
so i'll be stocking my pantry all day Saturday. ;)
i'll be planting garlic Sunday before the snow flies deep.
Hmmm, should I consider leaving on a jet plane, stocking my pantry or planting garlic.....Hmmm....

I'll take the plane! :D

Yucky, rainy weekend weatherwise. Stop by Home Depot, get new closet doors for FIL's house with a discount coupon that expires tomorrow. We'll install the doors after painting the closets in two weeks. Maybe do the last bit of sanding on the garage wall where he drove the car into it, if the patch is dry enough.

Tomorrow working 3-11 pm, another day closer to buying the motorcycle.

Just got back from my annual Diocesan Convention. I'm one of several delegates representing my parish church.

Rearranging furniture, hiking, feeding cows, hauling water(cows), sorting the weekly mail, trip to lil sis's house for Holiday baking, church, riding my Futurity fillys, catching up with long distance friends, & yup, feeding the cows ...yet again.

Rearranging furniture, hiking, feeding cows, hauling water(cows), sorting the weekly mail, trip to lil sis's house for Holiday baking, church, riding my Futurity fillys, catching up with long distance friends, & yup, feeding the cows ...yet again.
Are you making fruitcake?

I am so glad you asked, since it's not just one of those boring weekends of TV watching.

Friday night I went to happy hour with some co-workers. Then I went to a friend's house and we played guitar hero (a video game). It's surprisingly engaging and requires a lot of coordination. I played bass, guitar, drums, and sang vocal. She also made apple crisp and it was delish!

Today I slept in and in the evening went to the Chamber Orchestra's performance of George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Also ran into some friends at the concert. Such a wonderful piece of music, and so much fun!

Tomorrow a friend of mine is having an annual "card sale" of greeting cards she makes herself from photos she takes from all over the world.

Later tomorrow afternoon, the choir I used to sing with is having its fall concert. They will sing Bach's Magnificant. I think classic choral music is brilliant as it sounds so much better than individual singers.

I am cooking dinner for a friend tomorrow night, since I am too cheap to eat out. I think I'll make a stir fry dish with snow peas, mushroom, and shrimp.

Then, sleep and get ready for another week of w*rk. The weekend is truly too short!

Man, y'all live interesting lives! I hope FDude doesn't fall off the float...:cool:

As for me, the most interesting thing that has happened thus far is a couple of days ago I "celebrated" my 51st birthday. The only redeeming factor is I'm a little closer to drawing social security....:p

Friday night I went to happy hour ...a video game...apple crisp ... performance of George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
... "card sale" of greeting cards ...They will sing Bach's Magnificant. I think classic choral music is brilliant as it sounds so much better than individual singers.
.... stir fry dish with snow peas, mushroom, and shrimp.

Then, sleep and get ready for another week of w*rk. The weekend is truly too short!

Wow, Goodsense, this is what I call LIVING! except for that little downer in the last paragraph, the word with the asterisk.

Your post inspired me to put on a Bach CD. It was one of my best frugal purchases ever, was either free or very cheap, don't remember which. It is a sample intro to the complete works of Bach....

I agree, Bach is beyond brilliant. One of the classical magazines does an annual list of reader's favorite music--the chorus from the St. Matthew Passion usually wins.

Sorry to hear about your Monday plans; how much longer?

Your post inspired me to put on a Bach CD. It was one of my best frugal purchases ever, was either free or very cheap, don't remember which. It is a sample intro to the complete works of Bach....
i have a collection of some 30 CDs of classical music, all found at local drug stores on the $5.99 music rack, bought over the years.
FYI, there was a series put out in 1991 called
"<composer's name> Greatest Hits"
by
RCA Victor, BMG Classics, Dept G-1, Department B.F.
1133 Avenue of the Americas, NY, NY 10036-6758
no web site is listed.
i have Strauss, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms Greatest Hits from that collection.

we have a wonderful PBS station somewhat close to me called WCNY that plays unbelievable classical music all week long. i have it on now. it's snowing very lightly, i have a fire going, i am FIREd.
aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Man, y'all live interesting lives! I hope FDude doesn't fall off the float...:cool:

As for me, the most interesting thing that has happened thus far is a couple of days ago I "celebrated" my 51st birthday. The only redeeming factor is I'm a little closer to drawing social security....:p
Happy, happy belated birthday.....hurrah!!!!!

Hugs.

Happy Birthday, BBBamI.

Attachments

• IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 1
Sorry to hear about your Monday plans; how much longer?

Unfortunately, too many more years to count, especially now! (Somewhere in the 15-20 year range)

The Bach concert was great. Just so inspiring. Next they will be singing Beethoven's Mass in C Major. It's another beautiful piece. I might just have to join the choir again.

But at least I know I won't have a hard time finding things to do once I FIRE! :cool:

bbbamI, happy belated birthday! :)

GS...thanks for bd wish. :) Being 1 year older doesn't seem so bad now....

Ok, off to the cop store I go. I can't wait to see what other people have been up to this past w.e.......:p

Fruitcake

Lil sis has embarked on a gluten-free diet - so she and I are attempting to tweak my grandmother's recipes & see what we come up with. I'm a bit skeptical, however, hope springs eternal re: this endeavor!
I've never actually tried this, but if your fruitcake recipe is mostly fruit I doubt it would make much difference to switch from wheat flour to rice. I don't think the gluten in the wheat flour serves a purpose in fruitcake as it does in a yeast bread.

Namaste makes a GF cake mix for Spice and Carrot cakes. I bet it would make an excellent base for a fruitcake. I wouldn't try just rice flour, too glutinous. ;) They use a combination of flours, and IMHO the carrot cakes we make are better than the ones we made using wheat flour. Same with their chocolate cake mix. Just fyi.

Back
Top Bottom