Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Safari

Votes: 26 13.9%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters
I have an old Dell laptop that's duo core, onboard graphics and though not incompatible, is too darn slow to run Win 10 on.
I have a HP duo core with Intel graphics and a 64gb SSD, 4gb and it is totally usable using Win 10. I updated it to 2004 yesterday.

Last edited:
The poll should have Legacy Edge and the new Edge. The new Edge is Chromium with the Googlization taken out and MS stuff put in.
Does that make the new Edge better or worse or just more of the same?

I use Firefox with Adblocker Plus and a custom hosts file to block thousands of sites I don't want using: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
Dear Lord that is an extensive list. I use uBlock Origin and NoScript, but I don't have a custom hosts file for Firefox. I wonder ...

Does that make the new Edge better or worse or just more of the same?

Dear Lord that is an extensive list. I use uBlock Origin and NoScript, but I don't have a custom hosts file for Firefox. I wonder ...

The new Edge is much better because it is Chrome without the Google. The hosts file sits in your OS, so any Internet connection from your computer will not include that list of addresses.

Last edited:
I voted Chrome in the poll, but I actually use 4 different browsers for various purposes.

Chrome: for everyday surfing, checking primary email account, using Google photos/docs/maps/etc.
Opera: for browsing sites that don't work with ad blockers, for checking other email accounts, etc.
Edge: for checking other email accounts, previewing PDFs, using Bing maps, etc.
IceDragon: a lightweight browser for using the DuckDuckGo search engine, for added privacy and less tracking/profiling/data-collection

With Chrome the largest vote in this thread, today's WSJ had an interesting piece:

Quit Chrome. Safari and Edge Are Just Better Browsers for You and Your Computer

Microsoft’s new Edge browser, rolling out to Windows 10 machines this summer and available now for download on a Mac, is based on Chromium, the same underlying technology as Chrome—yet it uses less of your Windows computer’s RAM and battery.

An independent, Mozilla’s Firefox, the Bernie Sanders of browsers, now puts privacy front and center.

Meanwhile, Apple’s built-in Safari browser has the best blend of privacy, performance and battery to offer on Macs, and it’s only getting better this fall with MacOS Big Sur.

IE is ahead of Opera. Just like the good old days.

I read that the source code of add-ons is viewable, so I guess it could be edited to not "Access your data for all websites" (when that's not required for the functionality you want), and recompiled or whatever, and used as a safer, personalized add-on, if you can do the coding?

Since so many people are only using phones or tablets web browsers on computers are declining. You didn’t ask where? On my iPhone or iPad I use safari, on my laptop mostly Firefox but Chrome or Opera too

Use DuckDuckGo

I use DuckDuckGo for virtually everything, whether on my PCs or iPhone. There is an occasional site that hiccups on it since it won't allow cookies (e.g. you can look at Netflix for what you might want to watch, but the actual video will not play in DDG), and for those I use Chrome. Much safer and they won't sell your data like everyone else does.

Firefox and Safari. The second is mainly to separate financial log-ins from my daily browsing.

I have DuckDuckGo as my primary browser on the Mac laptop. I figure Google gets enough of my personal information from my email.

I use 4 different browsers depending upon which device I'm using. I often have 2 different browsers open on my laptop. Even my Sony TV has a browser called Vewd, which I believe is Opera's browser for the Android's smart TV platform. If you ask me which browsers I use most, it's probably Chrome followed by Edge, followed by Safari on my iPhone.

Firefox isn't using my newly installed font. Maybe it needs the computer to reboot. No problem with Chrome or Edge. So Firefox is off the list. I dabble in web development and I need new fonts to work. Some websites use fonts that are embedded in webpages and don't need to be installed on the visitor's computer but I have to install them when I'm working on their webpage from home. I think the embedded fonts are linked to Adobe and they're blocked when a webpage that lives on my computer tries to access them, or something.

Back
Top Bottom