What cheers you up...

Dog.

She doesn't have many duties but she consistently performs the "cheer up" one every time. If I could only get her to ease off the bark one we'd be perfect.

Once, when I felt blue, freebird5825 introduced me to this song, Blue.

Yes W2R, darling kitty is in a bad way. You've gotten to know me all too well. I'm trying not to talk about it too much here 'cause it's a bummer.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Purron. I lost a beloved cat over 3 years ago and still not a day goes by that I don't think about him. I think there are plenty of us here who can relate and would be glad to listen.

I never feel down. My life started when I retired 3-1/2 years ago; DH and I are in the best years of our lives. We're happy with where we live, with our house and 1-acre property, with our friends and family, and our volunteer activities. We couldn't possibly ask for more.

Think about everything that is right in your life, and remember that usually the things that aren't are out of your control.

Hang in there; better times ahead.:flowers:

Took Hummer to the vet today and my vet, who is more than a vet but a friend, gave me that look. That look that said "I'm so sorry". He's down to about 5 pounds now - my beautiful boy whose "cruising weight" was 12 pounds for most of his adult life.

She gave him some meds for the nausea but the reality is he has a tumor now that's pressing against his tummy inside and makes him unable to keep food down. She also gave him some IV fluids which never hurts in a case like this.

So I bring him home and what does he do? Comes out of the pet carrier and rubs his head against my leg. Gives me that big, beautiful green eyed look and climbs into his favorite chair in the living room.

I have managed to use an oral syringe to get some food into him tonight. He just keeps looking at me and I fall to pieces.

A long hike, especially in a pretty place
Time with DW and the kids (especially if they are not going nuts)
Homebrew

Indulging in the last tonight. A wonderful braggot made with pale male, wheat, and a whole lot of the finest tupelo honey I have ever found (from this guy Tupelo Honey from Wewahitchka Florida - Smiley Apiaries ). It smells like heaven, is almost 9% ABV, and goes down smooth.

Sorry about the kitty, Purron. I have one elderly dog with lymphoma (on chemo), and a 15 YO beagle who is on like 6 meds a day. We get the privilege of their presence for as long as we get it and then we have to let them go.

+1 on the long walks outside when the sun is out and strenuous gym workout when the weather is bad.

Kittens and puppies also make it very hard to stay blue. We recently lost a cat to congestive heart failure; but, we adopted two kittens from a local shelter before the older cat passed. Not only did the kittens cheer us up (and, keep us too busy to mope) but I also honestly think they provided some distraction/amusement for the older cat in her last days when she wasn't really able to do much.

Kittens and puppies also make it very hard to stay blue.

I agree. I took in 5 kittens from the shelter almost 2 weeks ago to foster. High maintenance ones - a bit over 3 weeks, no momma and not yet weaned. I hesitated because Hummer was so ill. But then I thought, hey, they're at the same shelter I adopted him from 13 years ago. Seemed poetic somehow.

They are doing great and have helped me from free falling into the "negativity spiral".

Here are some pictures of them.

Attachments

• Outta my way!.JPG
    Outta my way!.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010149.JPG
    P1010149.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Team shot.JPG
    Team shot.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 3
I'm so sorry you're going through this Purron...I know it breaks your heart.

But let me tell ya.....you are a loving, strong woman. Not only do you adopt pets, but you foster them as well. You are able to give the foster 'kids' to others that would love a pet. Even though you know they need to go to other homes, I'm sure you get attached to them.

This flower is for you...:flowers:...I wish we had more Purrons in this world. :)

She also gave him some IV fluids which never hurts in a case like this.

Has your vet suggested that you give subcutaneous fluids at home? I don't know if you've done this yourself or not, but I learned to do it in the last couple of years of my 20-year old cat's life.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job caring for Hummer, and he knows it too. I know how very difficult it is when a beloved pet is sick. Please feel free to PM me if you would like some moral support.

Has your vet suggested that you give subcutaneous fluids at home? I don't know if you've done this yourself or not, but I learned to do it in the last couple of years of my 20-year old cat's life.

Thanks. I thought about it because DH and I did subcutaneous fluids at home years ago with a very sick kitty. Sadly, I don't think Hummer has much time. Depending on how he does tomorrow, we may do this as it does often help ailing pets very much. I'd need a "refresher class" but know it's not hard to do at all. I appreciate your suggestion very much.

So sorry to hear about your cat Purron. Enjoy the time that you have left with him. I think that the fostering of animals that you do is wonderful.

So sorry that little Hummer's time is fading.

Sometimes the best way to deal with being sad is just to be sad. :( Then count your blessings when you feel better.

Back
Top Bottom