What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

There were several but I liked this one the best.

https://www.cutlistoptimizer.com

Just noticed it can account for the grain direction too.

I exported the cutlist to pdf through the program and sent it to my cellphone. Very handy.

We had our cleaning lady in today for the first time in ten weeks. I am so happy about that, as I am the designated house cleaner in her absence. As is our custom, the young wife and I vacated the house so we weren't in the way. We took the roadster out of the garage for the first time this year and went for a nice long drive on the back roads. We packed a picnic, which we enjoyed in one of our lovely state parks and stopped for fresh ice cream on the way home.

Attachments

• picnic.jpg
    picnic.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 72
ROMEO Meeting @ 7:00 AM

Dentist @ 2:00 PM

Cleaning Team @ 2:00 - 4:00 PM

Walmart - pick up DW's next group of meds.

7:00 PM - Walk my Wednesday 3 miles on the local golf course with two friends.

The end!

Put in a request for quarterly conversions of a pre-tax IRA to a Roth IRA over the next 2 1/2 years.

Figure it's an opportunity to make sure we fill up the 12% Federal tax bracket until one of us takes Social Security in 2022 or '23.

Met a friend to walk on a trail near her house. We did over 3.5 miles. More people than I expected, including some rude cyclists. But not hard to stay distanced - plus it was quite breezy. Just finished ZOOM yoga and lunch and soon will take car in for annual oil change and inspection. I'm stuck there while they work so if the waiting room is crowded I'll get more steps in by circling the parking lot. Making lamb shanks in the pressure cooker for dinner tonight - got them on special at the store this week. Yum.

Last night the central A/C died.
We have several mini window A/Cs cooling the place (~850 sf).
Prepping for disaster (hurricane) can come in handy, no matter the event.View attachment 35112

Too bad about your central AC. It's smart that you have a backup plan.

We bought 2 "window" AC's too. It's 107F here and it's not even summer yet. I hated to spend the money, but I don't trust our 12 yo builders grade unit in our deadly summer heat.

Do you have a generator too? Can you run a window AC off the generator, if you have one?

Picked up the dog from a vet teeth cleaning that turned into 2 extractions. About $650 later she is in her confined space at home resting and I am sipping some Evan Williams.

This morning I saw two bear cubs, but no mama bear. I watched them wander around a bit and then I left the area so that their mother would hopefully come to the rescue.

After lunch was some pickle ball with DH and then some reading. Now I'm texting some friends to finalize the details for our "bring your own shuttle" whitewater outing tomorrow.

Finished shoveling, transporting and spreading 13 cubic yards of mulch around the yard. Been at it for 4 days. Equivalent to 175 bags. Last time I'll ever spread mulch. DW helped, but was overcome by mosquito bites in ear, around eyes, etc that needed a trip to quick care and medication to bring under control.

Then went to the hardwood lumber supplier and got materials to build 3 cabinet doors for DW's friend.

DGS is having his 3 roommates over for a hike & they want to coom dinner to celebrate his graduation. (He's back here while furloughed). My DD, her BFF, their kid, my DS, his 2 kids will also come for dinner. I bought a cake although he's not a cake eater. Look on his face was priceless so I'm making snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies as well. Have a few disposable containers so not keeping any dessert leftovers

Finished shoveling, transporting and spreading 13 cubic yards of mulch around the yard. Been at it for 4 days. Equivalent to 175 bags. Last time I'll ever spread mulch. DW helped, but was overcome by mosquito bites in ear, around eyes, etc that needed a trip to quick care and medication to bring under control.

Then went to the hardwood lumber supplier and got materials to build 3 cabinet doors for DW's friend.

You may need to go back to work. Wouldn't have to work as hard and make money in the process.

Today has been busier than usual. We had the termite guy in earlier to inspect and treat. We have drywall termites again. Just a few minutes after he left the A/C decided to stop the “C” part. It’s only 90 degrees out right now, so I’m waiting for the repair guy to stop by. All that talk about less spending due to COVID is sure gonna change today for us.

Shipped DW's Inogen oxygen concentrator out for a repair (low oxygen error). Shipping to the service center in MN was $63 (FedEx) including insurance. The repair is covered by the lifetime warranty I bought for $975.

She's using an oxygen canister (bottle) for portable use until the machine is returned. She hates those bottles as they are hard to carry and are bulky. But it's better than not having O2!

I went to the community garden this morning and assisted in planting one of the communal plots that are used to provide vegetables to the homeless shelter and two food pantries. We planted peppers, eggplants and tomatoes today. My job was digging the planting holes -- all 183 of them. Others added the lime, fertilizer and manure to each hole, while others set and covered the seedlings. It is warm and, given that we were in a less than optimal social distancing situation, were wearing face-masks. Mine was quite moist by the time we finished. Then I spent some time in my own plot, weeding and picking bugs.

Got home in time for lunch and a chance to watch the SpaceX launch. It was a beautiful sight to see.

Today has been busier than usual. We had the termite guy in earlier to inspect and treat. We have drywall termites again. Just a few minutes after he left the A/C decided to stop the “C” part. It’s only 90 degrees out right now, so I’m waiting for the repair guy to stop by. All that talk about less spending due to COVID is sure gonna change today for us.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the A/C tech will find nothing more than a bunch of Raspberry crazy ants or fire ants got into your circuitry. Fire ants got into my well pressure pump circuitry last summer and we had no water until I encouraged them to move along and cleaned up the mess they left behind.

We spent 14 days (in a row) taping and texturing drywall at my brother's place. Somebody mentioned groundhog day- that is what it felt like! For some reason, the MP3 player in the pickup always started the day with Alan Parsons Project 'Sirius', which is the riff used on the Home Depot commercials. Somehow appropriate! The previous week was driving tractors and repairing machinery. All in all, a very good break from the monotony of quarantine. And, we were still isolated!

The down side- my right hand is quite upset about the manual labor. After we returned home, I managed to smash it between the door of the pickup and the side mirror of our SUV. It has been swollen and hurting for a couple days now. I think that the muscle ache was from using muscles that had not been that strong, and the swelling is from the smack. Hopefully two independent failure modes.

DW says that we are NOT going to buy a fixer-upper for our winter place.

Planted 4 dozen tomato plants and 3 dozen pepper plants DW and DGD grew from seed. Then went to rental unit to cut grass, then back to house to cut own grass. With all this rain and perfect temperature, I gotta cut grass every three days or it will be above the windows. But it sure is green, and I'm whipped.

DW and I walked down here. It's just below our house and in San Juan National Forest. There's two small canyons with seasonal creeks that merge together here, the canyon eventually hits the river ten miles from here.

I'm not sure if it shows but there's a vulture in the distance; he and his buddy has to come over to see how alive we were.

I groomed one little dog yesterday and have one more to do today. I'm not sure if our groomers are open, ours passed away as the stay at home started. I had bought some proper shears that helped immensely.

DW and I are considering going to a restaurant for an outdoor lunch.
20200530_124904.jpeg

Last edited:
Tough day today - we had to say goodbye to our 14 year old greyhound. We adopted her at age 3 1/2 . She trialed, but never raced and we jokingly said that she sandbagged it to go straight to the couch instead of the track. We walked two or three miles every day and cumulatively walked over 7500 miles together. So, she has earned her rest.

It will take a while to adjust, but I think we'll adopt another as the breed fits well with our lifestyle.

I'm sorry to hear that, Travelover. It is never easy to lose a pet you have loved.

I'm so sorry for your loss. No matter how many times you go through it, it's always hard to lose a furry family member.

I hope the memories of all your walks together and other memories will bring you comfort.

Got out my motorcycle saturday and got it ready to ride,by checking oil,air in tires,and tires tread,then a good wash/polish job,(i can't go on a ride on without a shiny bike)! I did decide that I'll be ordering a new set of WW tires in a week or so since I have a week long ride in to attend in August. Then Sunday we rode up into the N Ga. mts. for a fun and relaxing day!

Went for a run, did some woodworking, blew some dough at the local gun shop, now settling down for some tv after a fish dinner.

Today is the 10 year anniversary of DH's retirement. He lost his job in Jan 2010 but they paid out his contract which ran through May 31, 2010. June 1st is his official pension start date.

He spent the day doing yard work which he loves to do. I planned a nice dinner of a small beef tenderloin on the grill, mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions and grilled zucchini.

All went as planned expect for having to go exchange the propane tank soon after I preheated the grill. We have always kept a spare filled tank for when we run out. Last year our son and DIL bought a house and then bought a grill. Their grill didn't come with a tank so DH gave them our filled spare tank. That left us without a spare. And don't you always run out at the least convenient time? But dinner was VERY GOOD!

Also, I've been taking a few days to try to be free of the media. I've been avoiding the news on tv and trying to avoid it online. I was just watching too much of all the bad news recently and felt like it was getting to me. I know it's there, I just want to take a break and not think about it all the time. I can't fix any of it. It feels good to take some time away from the turmoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom