What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw my mum today. She’s in a senior home that has been in full lockdown since March. She needed to see a doctor, my sister took her, and we met up in the parking lot of the senior home for a short but very fulfilling get together in the car. I’m very happy we had an opportunity to see each other.

Wow, so glad you got to see her. It’s been rough!

Why not get a $40 Battery Tender and connect it to your van if you only drive it infrequently? The trickle charge will keep the battery fresh and eliminate calls to AAA.

Yep! We have a charger we run on DF’s truck every 2 weeks.

Trimmed my trees and shoved the branches in the yard waste bins.

I dug up 90 heads of garlic from my garden, brushed all the dirt off and laid them out on drying racks in my garage. I have to save about 15-20 heads to plant in November for next year's crop. The rest will be magically transformed into delicious meals by the young wife.

We went to the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Garden which started to open this month with reservations. We had a nice stroll around the gardens along with some great views of San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge from the hill top benches. Everyone had masks and was social distancing so it seemed pretty safe. For the first hour or so we didn't even see any other visitors except in the parking lot and entrance.

What the heck is everybody doing with the lumber? There's no hurricane coming this way? Maybe building an Ark?

Restaurants/businesses are building outside decks/porches to make up for lost seating areas inside. Anyhow, it's a good excuse for me not to work on my rental's deck in this heat.

Watching the spacewalk on the ISS this morning. Later, my neice from Kansas is coming over with her new boyfriend, and we'll celebrate DH's and DM's birthday which is today for both. Today is also DB's birthday, but he's in Kansas.

Making Oxtail soup in the slow cooker today, good way to use up the older veggies in the fridge!
Starting to smell real good in the house :)

Early (for me) AM grocery run at 8:00 AM, then mowed the "back forty" while it was still cool, about 85° since we're supposed to get rain for the next few days. My new shoes from Amazon arrived and they fit nicely. And the Milwaukee right-angle impact driver I'd ordered from Home Depot arrived too. Now I can finish assembling the new TV stand we bought a few weeks ago. As soon as I can remember where I put the screws....:facepalm:

I spilled coffee all over the family room carpet which is off white in color.

You know what that meant!

Spent 1/2 the day carpet cleaning!

It's 100F out, so no big deal. :)

I spilled coffee all over the family room carpet which is off white in color.

You know what that meant!

Spent 1/2 the day carpet cleaning!

It's 100F out, so no big deal. :)
You are lucky if it comes out. DW spilled a cup on an oriental rug and it cost $350 to clean and it still didn't all come out.

You are lucky if it comes out. DW spilled a cup on an oriental rug and it cost $350 to clean and it still didn't all come out.

It's still not all out. :(

I keep working the spot with carpet cleaner and a brush, then the machine with hot water and vacuum. :blush:

I'm going to let it dry tonight and go back at it tomorrow if it's not gone. Boy, I didn't realize how bad a coffee stain can be.

It cooled off enough today for me to hook up the battery charger for the switch engine. We made an afternoon of it. I dropped DW off with our chairs, table and cooler, then went to the engine.

After hooking up the charger, I joined her for a nice picnic lunch. We had our readers and Pandora playing, so it was really nice.
After I unhooked everything, we packed up and swung by our favorite Greek restaurant to pick up dinner

Got my first Medicare bill. Not on Medicare Until August, but at least I got the bill.

We must be the same age. Got mine, as well. Looked wrong, and then I realized it was for 3 months. The AARP UHC bill will be coming soon (autopay, so no issues).

Not just today, but a few day job. My son and I dissassembled a pontoon boat and cut it into smaller pieces that fit in the truck and took it to the scrap yard. About $180 worth of aluminum. and $200 worth of work!
It wasn't just the boat dissassembly, it had became a storage platform above and covered storage underneath. So we had to either throw stuff away or find a new place for it. The road is lined with stuff we threw away, YA! They pickup the street trash tommorrow morning.
We also made some beef jerky today. Were not sure it's as good as the last two times, we used eye of round instead if flank steak. It doesn't seem to have absorbed as much of the marinade flavor. But we marinated about half of todays jerky longer, so going to see if that makes it any better. But even so, if you start eating it you want more!

Thanks for the update. Some of us wuz worried :greetings10:

Welcome back, NW Bound!

So glad to see your post, NW-Bound! Welcome back.

I was wondering if you were still alive myself a few times. Lol Glad all is going well, Sir.

I’m glad to see you are alive and well, I missed hearing about your adventures.

Glad to hear from you, again NW-bound.

Yay, you’re back! Welcome back!

I just scrolled through the thread to catch up on what people have been doing, and saw these posts. Thanks for the welcome. I don't know if I miss some. And thanks for the PMs.

I know the feeling when a long-time poster go absent; you wonder what happens to him or her. There are a few posters that I still miss. The weird thing is that I still remember their personality, but can no longer recall their screenname after so many years of not seeing them post.

Well, life will not be too adventurous for me, for the foreseeable future. Just being stuck at home watching our plants in the backyard take turn getting wilted and dying from the 117F heat, and messing around with my solar power set up.

We cannot even go up to our high-country home to escape from the heat, due to my frail MIL cannot be left by herself, although we did drive up to spend one night to be sure that it was still there.

Oh well, life can be very exciting for people catching the virus, and I'd rather live this monotonous existence for a while.

Took delivery of a new loveseat, ottoman, and two chairs today. Microfiber in an unique light-gray color with very supportive coils and memory foam. Replaced a 15 year-old reclining loveseat and chair in black leather with very little back support that had seen better days.

Been trying to get this new furniture in the family room since the beginning of 2020. Between DW being very ill at the beginning of 2020 (unknown illness), followed by her having a serious bout of cedar fever in February, followed by COVID-19, it's been a long wait.

Not doin' nuthin' today. Glad I mowed yesterday, I was sure not going to do it today or any of the next few days. At the moment it's 98°, and that's in the shade, under the back porch where the temperature sensor never gets direct sun. It then sends that to the display inside. The next few days are forecast to be even hotter.

I think I can forget mowing for a while anyway. Whatever grass isn't dormant is probably dead.

92°[emoji29] at least low humidity but still done with outside. Went to 99c store and picked up veggies that I don't grow. Later GS3 turns 7 today and he's having a socially distanced drive through party. I wrapped a few gifts for him (I took the 3 smallest ones for a Target Shopping Party Thursday where he picked out 1 of them [& 2 to open then]) before a make your own sundae at my home. Yes, I sent the fixings home with him. I don't need more of that Corona 15

Got up at my normal time and while enjoying my coffee, I noticed someone down by our mailbox. I grabbed the binoculars and saw that it was our neighbor. He was *behind* the mailbox pulling long grass and weeds (that you can't see since they are behind a large brick mailbox) and then tossing them into the street. There is no confusion as to whose property the mailbox sits on, so just kinda confused...especially since it sits in a flower bed that's maintained pretty well. I am not sure if this is a passive aggressive deal or something....but it has me more annoyed than it probably should.

Staying inside. At the moment it's 101° F outside. I plan to go out for the mail when it comes and that's it. Still, this is my favorite time of year. I hate having to bundle up in heavy jackets, or any jackets for that matter, to go outside.

Today we must be having a cool spell.... it's "only" 95F outside right now. :LOL: Like Walt, I still prefer hot weather to overly cold weather.

We went out to lunch, and then went to the boat launch to watch the birds from my SUV. But, being Saturday, there were a lot of people there with their boats. Too much human activity, therefore no birds. So, we came back home and I am doing a [-]huge[/-] gargantuan load of laundry in my oversized washer right now.

While it washes, I am sitting in my wonderful new Laz-y-Boy recliner that I got in January. It's peaceful and quiet here, and I plan to play my favorite video game (Animal Crossing) most of the afternoon.

Ah, retirement! It took me long enough, but I finally found my niche in life. :D

We are also experiencing the cool front 250 miles west of NO, La. It was 75 F here this morning when I was walking the dog. The dog loved it!

At 7:30 am, I went to meet up with my ROMEO group at Burger King and I was back home by 9:30 after listening to and telling our stories...some of which were repeats! Getting old has it's moments.

Went to Walmart this afternoon to grocery shop and dropped a cool C Note. :facepalm: Stocked up on cold drinks, wine (for DW, of course) and misc. junk food. Hey, we owe it to ourselves!

Now that it's 95 F out and 70% humidity, I am in for the duration, until the next dog walk. That little guy has me trained. :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom