What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 70+ yrs I finally have a new and nicely constructed chest of drawers. Most of our furniture has been hand-me-downs or used/antiques. It was delivered to the bedroom where I uncrated it, laid it down on the floor, and did some minor assembly of the legs before moving it to its location. At 200 pounds I had to remove all the drawers so I could lay it on the floor. Even then my body told me later that I was not as strong as I have been in the past. Now to clear the bedroom since I have a place to store things. :D

Cheers!

I'm adding a two 3ft x x 9ft panels as an over hang to our metal roof, It will cover the concrete pad I recently added for the grill.
I'm building a support structure with 1-1/2" square aluminum tubing.
Wish me luck! The support structure is a bit compicated. If I make a mistake, at least I can buy more aluminum tube at $48 a stick. :-/

Hand dug power line in for shallow well pump. I installed pipe and pulled in wire. Been more of a project then I thought it would be.

Having cancelled three of my 'hit the ground running' trips I scheduled to celebrate recovery of knee replacement, and with the 4th very near being cancelled, I took out a map of my state and have identified a number of places to visit in the national parks, the seashore and the vast interior, that are unexplored by me and seem to be relatively unknown to many in the local population. They should be safe day trips, where I social distance outdoors.

Yesterday my roofer finished with the roof! He fixed the leaks for $130 last week, and fixed wind damage yesterday for an additional $210. He says the roof should last another 2-5 years. All of this is SO much cheaper than a new roof, so I was off-the-charts happy. This despite having gotten up at 7:30 instead of my usual 10 AM since the roofer wanted to start early in this heat.

Then Frank took me to lunch, and after lunch we went to the boat launch to watch birds. The birds weren't there, so we went on a long, looooooong drive (for an hour or two) through New Orleans. Even though I have lived down here for decades, Frank was born here and he knows about some really interesting places to see so it was fascinating.

"Be a tourist in your own home town" is especially good advice during this pandemic; it cost almost nothing, we were in the car and exposed to nobody, and we had a great time.

Having cancelled three of my 'hit the ground running' trips I scheduled to celebrate recovery of knee replacement, and with the 4th very near being cancelled, I took out a map of my state and have identified a number of places to visit in the national parks, the seashore and the vast interior, that are unexplored by me and seem to be relatively unknown to many in the local population. They should be safe day trips, where I social distance outdoors.
Sounds like a great plan!

Along those lines, with my new knee I managed to stand outside the UPS store for 20-30 minutes relatively painlessly a few days ago! (They were only allowing 3 customers in at a time, hence the socially distant wait outside.) Before TKR surgery there was no way I could have done this but my new knee is rock solid now. My old knee is pretty wobbly but the new (replaced) knee is so solid and lightens the load on the other one.

Before surgery I expected to be able to walk better with the new knee, but honestly it never occurred to me that it would make such a difference in just standing there. What a nice surprise. :D

We were both SO lucky to have our knees replaced last summer, before the pandemic. Much easier and more worry free I would imagine.

After 70+ yrs I finally have a new and nicely constructed chest of drawers. Most of our furniture has been hand-me-downs or used/antiques. It was delivered to the bedroom where I uncrated it, laid it down on the floor, and did some minor assembly of the legs before moving it to its location. At 200 pounds I had to remove all the drawers so I could lay it on the floor. Even then my body told me later that I was not as strong as I have been in the past. Now to clear the bedroom since I have a place to store things. :D

Cheers!

Good heavens! That must be SOME chest of drawers, to weigh 200 pounds! Whew.

Gosh, W2R, it seems like you can make a good time out of very little....new knee and standing a long time! taking an hour long tour of N.O. to see sights not seen before! Fixing your roof!! Putting some miles on that nice, and very low mile, Venza! :dance:

Sounds like you have been cooped up too long from this Covid stuff! :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
Trimmed the bushes out front with the two-stroke gas powered Stihl hedge trimmer. That Milwaukee battery one is starting to look pretty good, the fumes were really bothering me today. Most of the bushes are in an "inside corner" of the house so unless the wind is blowing pretty good there isn't much air moving there. That Stihl runs fine, starts easy, (most of the time) so I'm hard put to justify buying the battery one. Maybe if we get another stimulus check I'll spring for it.

I was going to cut the back yard but dagnabit, the rain started up again.:)

Gosh, W2R, it seems like you can make a good time out of very little....new knee and standing a long time! taking an hour long tour of N.O. to see sights not seen before! Fixing your roof!! Putting some miles on that nice, and very low mile, Venza! :dance:

Sounds like you have been cooped up too long from this Covid stuff! :LOL:

Well yeah!!! I think you got that right, for sure. :D

I went out to my garden and staked up the corn that had been flattened by Tropical Storm Isaias. Came home and mowed with law with the bagger to pick up all the leaves that came down on Tuesday. My giant brush and log pile out front was removed by the town yesterday, so we're back to how everything appeared before the storm, except for the slightly damaged porch rail and gutter. I'll probably work on repairing that tomorrow.

Put the last (fifth) coat of spar urethane on the planter boxes. They just gleam now!

I parted ways with physical therapy yesterday. I went in planning to tell them I didn't want to schedule any more sessions, but the therapist beat me to it. We agreed that the stretching exercises I had been doing had done wonders to my hip and posture. With Covid back at all time highs and the fact that the dentist office where I had a tooth extracted a month ago was now in the news for a Covid outbreak convinced me my hip was in better shape than the risks associated with more physical therapy. I'll continue with the stretching exercises on my own.

I parted ways with physical therapy yesterday. I went in planning to tell them I didn't want to schedule any more sessions, but the therapist beat me to it. We agreed that the stretching exercises I had been doing had done wonders to my hip and posture. With Covid back at all time highs and the fact that the dentist office where I had a tooth extracted a month ago was now in the news for a Covid outbreak convinced me my hip was in better shape than the risks associated with more physical therapy. I'll continue with the stretching exercises on my own.

I did this with my shoulders. After surgery on my right shoulder I went to PT. It was helpful of course, but after a few sessions the therapist started having me do a bunch of lower-body exercises with stretchy bands. The sessions started taking a couple hours or more, which was really inconvenient because I was still working. I asked about the lower-body moves a couple times, and the therapist told me they were necessary because people were inactive after surgery. I explained that this didn't really apply to me since I'd started going to the gym as soon as I could drive, and had been doing cardio and whatever other exercises I could. She wouldn't back off though. So after surgery on the other shoulder, I did the PT routines at home on my own. Got all my strength and flexibility back without any problem.

Last edited:
I did 6 weeks of PT on my shoulder back in Jan-Feb (impingement in my rotator cuff). It really helped and the PT reminded me to keep up with several of the exercises at home. When COVID hit, I got lazy and didn't exercise for a month or two and the pain came right back. I've been disciplined about the exercises (6-7 days/week) for a couple months now and am back to where I was at the end of PT. Moral of the story - don't stop the exercises again!

I also have put the brakes on PT, despite the fact that it worked very well for me.
I had PT for a very sore back that kept me from walking, bending and enjoying my new artificial knee. But, in March the state shutdown and I decided that as an older high risk person, PT would not be a good idea. I continued the exercises and my back pain is pretty much gone. There is another issue I would like the therapist to look at, and I have been considering going back for a few sessions. But, with the infection rate down only 10% from the all-time high, I don't think that is a good idea.

"Stay the #%^@! away from me, and get off my lawn."

I was on the Weather Underground website looking at a thunderstorm that had popped up nearby when an ad appeared on the right side of the page. It showed an older guy holding a bent cucumber with the caption, "CURVED ERECTION? YOU MIGHT HAVE PD! LEARN MORE!" OK, made me look. Ouch. :hide: Another thing to worry about? :confused:

Last edited:
Bought gas & wine at Costco. Walked 4 miles. Moved a couple of yard plants.

Jumped on my bicycle a 2 hour workout down to the river, then back up, down again, then climbed out and turned for home. 12 miles and 2,300 vertical feet of hot hill climbing.

Got home and started to prep for a few days of camping. Meeting my backpacking kids in the mountains on Monday and Tuesday for a rest day, good hot and fresh meals and resupply. Taking along my mountain bike for some high altitude fire road and single track fun while the kids are resting ... and eating ... and napping.

^ nice bike ride.

Today was bike day for me also. But my route probably had 100’ vertical if that. 25 miles on my ebike. Probably equal to 15 on a conventional bike.

Also went grocery shopping with DW and MIL. And to Menards for some woodworking supplies. Now watching the Blackhawks.

Went to the Farmers Market before it reached 100 degrees today. Did a couple of do-good things for others.
I made today a media day for me. I watched NHL, the movies Nicky’s Family (Czech-Slovak) and The King’s Choice (Norway). Next I saw Alive Day - Johnny Joey Jones. A short film about an inspiring Marine who is a double amputee.

Y"Be a tourist in your own home town" is especially good advice during this pandemic; it cost almost nothing, we were in the car and exposed to nobody, and we had a great time.

We did that today. We have an annual pass to use the trails on the lands owned by one of the local water utilities that we put to good use. We found a new to us hiking trail along a stream lined with some pretty ferns. We saw four deer, including two babies. The water company lands aren't open to the public unless you have a pass, so we didn't run into too many other hikers. Most of the ones we did pass were good about social distancing and wearing masks. Also cost nothing except for gas and what we paid for the annual pass, which was only $10 a year.

Got my DD's basic budget. Waiting for DS' then we will sit down and figure out what they need to outlast this Sheltering in Place. Each are applying for multiple jobs but he says up to 1000 are applying for the ones he's after. She painting houses to augment UIB. But that's not doubling it YET

Wishing good luck to your kids in their job searches. Those are tough odds.

Picked up my dope at the pharmacy, hit the hardware store for some bug spray, picked up my order of wor wonton soup from the restaurant, did some wood planing and varnishing and grilled up some salmon for supper. Then walked the dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom