What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
We spent all of January in central Mexico. Great weather, great food. Problem with the airline return flight pinched us. Just finishing up a lot of Dr appointments before we go to Austin Wednesday for a quilt class and BBQ.

Living without a microwave is annoying. I have been doing 2 dishwasher loads a day because am using pans and steamer that have to be washed.

When our microwave died I shopped for the replacement and my #1 top priority "feature" was that it had to be a local one that I could pick up that day. I found exactly what I wanted in our local Target store.

I use my microwave all the time and I was severely limited when I was without one for less than 24 hours.

Last edited:
Walked out this morning and saw two new For Sale signs on my block. Both owners coincidentally decided at the same time to go to assisted living facilities. One is 83, the other is 93. Different realtors, different prices, so it will be interesting to watch the action. There are only 17 units in my condo development, so this is 11% of the neighborhood.

Initiated my IRA account transfer (in kind) from Vanguard to Schwab. Let's see how well this goes over the next 5 to 7 days.

Reason: Consolidating accounts.

I had a pleasant visit and lunch with my mum today. We were looking at photos and some videos of her great-grandchildren, she looked at me and said “they are so intelligent. Well, all my children are intelligent, even you”.

Last edited:
I had a pleaser visit and lunch with my mum today. We were looking at photos and some videos of her great-grandchildren, she looked at me and said “they are so intelligent. Well, all my children are intelligent, even you”.

Our mothers are usually without illusion about us. After all, they have probably seen us at our worst.

My activity today was to donate blood for the 69th time, take the young wife to lunch and then shop at a large antique mall. We got a high stool/chair for her sewing room so that she can more easily quilt.

Last edited:
Went for a walk in sunny 62° F weather. For mid February, I'll take it!

After much rummaging around, found my SS card for my driver's license renewal. And once again DW proves her indispensability by being the actual finder.

Hit 80F today and the dog walks are working up a sweat, for both the little guy and me!

Tested the house A/C and in both cars, so getting ready for the "heat".

Transplanted a Carolina Silverbell (Halesia Carolina) sapling from down by the river up onto the property. Tried to find a place that won't dry out too much in the summer. I am not sure how it will do on the rockier ridge.

Redirected some of the rain drainage paths (hopefully...) from straight down my driveway (crusher-run, not asphalt or concrete...) to the side of my driveway. We will see. 4 straight days of rain predicted starting tomorrow.

Finished up my motorcycle projects. Rita (BMW R1200RT) now has added tail/flashing brake light to improve safety and a small 5 liter top case. Bonnie (Triumph Bonneville) has a new Corbin saddle.

We be ready to ride!

RobbieB >> lets see a picture of that bad boy. Lol

Today I'm listening to the first chapters in the nine hours of the audiobook for my latest—doing QC. Pretty tedious. I do a chapter, then take a break. The narrator is amazing, but everyone makes mistakes.

https://vimeo.com/229311370

I'm going to have to get a copy of Netflix's Billions, since he's on it.

I know this is mostly a happy thread. But had to put one of my dogs down today. So hurting pretty bad this evening.
Rescue shepherd mix, at least 11, had a cancerous tumor on his heart. Great yesterday and gone this afternoon. Been through this with other dogs in past, it doesn't get easier with practice.

Sorry for the downer post. But it helps me vent a little.

I know this is mostly a happy thread. But had to put one of my dogs down today. So hurting pretty bad this evening.
Rescue shepherd mix, at least 11, had a cancerous tumor on his heart. Great yesterday and gone this afternoon. Been through this with other dogs in past, it doesn't get easier with practice.

Sorry for the downer post. But it helps me vent a little.

So sorry. I too have been through it a number of times and it was always heartbreaking.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's not easy to see a furry friend off. We are on our third generation of cats. Neither of the previous two were easy for me and I sure don't look forward to the next final trips to the vet. But, to me, the joy of having them was ultimately worth the pain of losing them. Take care.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. It is not easy and I am sure you are hurting. Remember the good times with him.

We had to put a cat down in December and it is definitely not easy. We have a 16 and an 18 year old cat left and no we will have additional heartbreak.

My condolences on the loss of your dog. Our pets are such big part of our lives.

So sorry to learn of your dog's passing. I'm also familiar with the pain of losing one.

Today I had the state inspection done on my '03 GMC pickup truck, no issues, and renewed my driver's license.

WV gets dumped on for a lot of shortcomings (some of them deserved) but I have to say the DMV office I went to was top notch. I was in and out of there, including all the documentation for the federal style, in about 30 minutes. In MD where we previously lived, getting out of the MVA office for anything in less than 90 minutes was a near-miracle.

Granted, not everyone agrees like the noisy lady three rows down from the window where I was, but I suspect that she has issues with reading and following directions given that it was her "third trip to DMV this week".:D

Sorry, 38Chevy. I had a my sweet cat put down last year. Thankfully, another sweet cat joined me, by chance. I love her.

Today, I redistributed the dirt carelessly dug up by a crew installing FIOS (which I never requested). But it gave me a chance to better grade the downspouting drainage. Also made a staple hamburger casserole from my grad student past.

The microwave arrived at 8pm yesterday. It is a joy to have
Back to one dishwasher load per day.

Made roast rack of lamb;

49559266942_c70cf67518_o.jpg

Mowed the lawn. As a Michigan boy, I never thought I'd be saying those words in February. But I've learned that in Portlandia, if you get a couple of dry days in a row, you dash out and mow.

38Chevy454 So sorry to hear about your furry friend. We have gone through this too many times and know how heartbreaking it is. Our current 2 rug rats are 9 years old and indoor cats so we have quite a few wonderful years left.

Spent 45 minutes at the DMV getting my Real ID and I had an appt. Luckily I got a spot in the parking lot so got there a bit early. Had a splitting headache when I left :facepalm:. Edited to add: that's 45 minutes after I got called up to the window.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom