What do you take to help you sleep?

I’ve turned into a biphasic sleeper.

In 1992 I gave birth and my son didn’t sleep through the night for two years, which means I didn’t either. I was on call about once a week which also meant phone calls and going to the hospital in the middle of the night on those nights. When he was 9 months old, instead of waking up and getting upset, I embraced that sleeping all night was not my life, and I was much more peaceful mentally.

In 1998 I took a job as a night hospitalist. I was always good at napping, so I extended my naps to 5-8 hr sleep during the day. Then after a few years I ended up working in the newborn nursery (pediatric hospital MD) in 2012 we started using an EMR, and I started getting up at 4-5 AM to start data entry and learning about the 25 newborns I would see each day. It meant going home sooner. That continued on and off until full retirement in 2019.

I fall asleep around 11 each night. My night owl husband goes to bed between 2 and 3 AM and 80% of the time I waken when he comes to bed. I end up reading or playing Wordle after awhile. I fall asleep again at around 5AM and sleep until 7, very deeply. I nap 2-3 times per week.

I tried melatonin, but it never kept me from waking up in the wee hours, so I’ve shied away from pharmacological treatment of being awake at night and decided that was my normal life.

My problem sleeping started when I started wearing my Fitbit to bed to track my sleep. I googled it and it can ruin your sleep as it emits a small amount of radiation. I didn’t wear it last night and slept 8 hours.

My problem sleeping started when I started wearing my Fitbit to bed to track my sleep. I googled it and it can ruin your sleep as it emits a small amount of radiation. I didn’t wear it last night and slept 8 hours.

Funny, I have been wearing my Fitbit to bed for 4 years now and I don't glow in the dark yet (and I sleep well with no drugs).:cool:

As you probably know, cell phones emit EMF radiation as well. Lots of "correlations" suggest that they induce all sorts of maladies - not the least of which is cancer. The gummint doesn't seem to take this too seriously and, honestly, I'm not sure there is much evidence BUT many people are concerned about phones causing (especially) brain tumors. Again, if there is "causation" the mechanism isn't well understood. Here's a NCI site I found on the subject.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer...nged-during-the-time-cell-phone-use-increased

I try never to tell someone that they aren't "feeling what they're feeling" so I only offer this web site and suggest you look into others as well.

I know I sleep better without my $8 Walmart watch on in bed! DW also immediately returned the FitBIt watch I bought her when she found out it had to be "connected" to operate. Blessings and aloha.

I've probably posed this before but here it is again... Read the ingredients carefully.

The active ingredient Doxylamine Succinate works well for me and one variety of Unisom Sleep Tabs has it in the right amount.

Most OTC sleep aids contain Diphenhydramine which does nothing for me.

Last edited:
Koolau, it will be interesting to see if my sleep problems disappear but it will take a month to know. I put it in my bra and didn’t wear it on my wrist to sleep as that would be annoying. I rarely put my phone to my ear but use speaker if home and leave it sitting down. I never had a problem sleeping before so have no clue if it’s the Fitbit or not but certainly worth a try to eliminate it.

Maybe the screen lighting up when you move your arm is disturbing your sleep. I think there is a sleep mode.

Back
Top Bottom