what do you tell ppl when they ask what youre doing after you "early retire"?

Enjoying the rest of my life more fully with my dear wife!
And some gardening ...
And a little golfing ...
And a little fishing ...
And asking the youngun's why they haven't figured out artificial intelligence completely yet ... ;)
And whatever I decide to do that morning when I wake up ... if I wake up. :p

unclemick wins... professional amature turdologist.

sounds too much like middle management to me, though.

Well maybe, but gee, I really LIKE that one!!! :2funny: >:D
thank you thank you <she humbly bows>

it's so hard not to gloat with my still working friends. i try to be humble, i really really do, but this little devil on my left shoulder keeps stabbing me with his fork and saying "SCREAM it from the rooftop - I'm FIREd!!!!!!"

so you poor folks get to listen to me gloat...<groan> LOL

I can't answer from the other side quite yet, but I am taking steps to put myself in a position to:

Have fewer activities, but more of what I enjoy doing, and doing it better than ever (which may take a little more time) --- at the expense of other activities that I did not enjoy or do well, but did them because I had to. Somehow I don't think I will lack for activities at all.

DW and I are identifying those activities and moving in that direction right now. We started with Ernie's Zelinski's Get-A-Life-Tree from How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free - a great place to start IMHO unless you already know what you want, we didn't.

We started with Ernie's Zelinski's Get-A-Life-Tree from How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free - a great place to start IMHO unless you already know what you want, we didn't.
I've had that sitting on my desk for a couple years now, but I've been too busy to get around to it...

ditto. it seemed too much like <gasp> work.:eek: but his list of new things to do on pgs 85-91 was a hoot. "watch someone work" has great appeal.

"I'm not afraid of hard work - I can lie down right beside it and go to sleep."

Im really not sure what Im doing. I'll be starting off by recovering from bunion surgery.
Then I tell them "wherever life takes me" - no real answer

"wherever life takes me" is a perfectly good answer. It is a real answer. The only reason it doesn't seem like a real answer is because that would not be acceptable in a job.

I love prgsdw's turnabout answer ""So what do you do when you're not working?"

Personally, I love the open ended adventure of having lots of unstructured time with no hard plans tying me down in the future. A very much "life is a journey" approach where one is more focused on the present and not so furiously goal-oriented as our working life demanded. Not that there aren't goals, it's just that we no longer have to answer to a someone else about how we use our time or what we have accomplished or not accomplished.

Audrey

I like the answer "same kinds of things you do on weekends".

I am not FIREd yet... but I have two possible answers.
  • Truth - not putting up with BS at w*rk
  • Lie - It was the worst move I ever made. Such a bad decision, you should consider continuing to work as long as possible {and support SS}. >:D

I usually tell people that I'm un-employed.
They don't know what to say to me after that.
Although my credibility was 'challenged' as I sat at a poker table in LV with a pile of chips in front of me. :D

I think I'm going to print some business cards for myself.

"Consulting Quantum Econophysicist"

I can hand them to the curious and enquire as to whether they've seen my recent paper on "Relationships Between Gold Futures, D-branes and Fluxes in Supersymmetric Quantum Mechanics."

That should be a real subject-changer.

"I'm so busy now, I don't know how I ever had time to work."

But you can be one if you want!

Exactly. One of the benefits of retirement is being able to dabble in lots of things that I'm not an expert in, without needing to pass myself off as an expert to get a job.

If they ask me in one of those you can't really be happy tones, I reply....'I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, nothing.'

That usually gets an odd look or two. :)

Thats exactly what I tell them as well.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom