what else would I do?

If I did something cool like a rock star or astronaut, I probably wouldn't want to retire, either, however I never found megacorp jobs with TPS reports very rewarding. Having my own little business hasn't been half bad, but hiking and going to plays and concerts still seems like more fun most days so our business income has been trailing off. The longer we've been retired and the more we see our plan working out pretty well despite a fair number of financial curveballs, the extra income seems less important. It is back to the lake with pretty scenery and maybe a picnic lunch for us today, with an art and wine festival later in the day.

Last edited:
I've always been lazy and unmotivated so ER was easy for me - :)

I guess you can't see any of it until your on the other side of the fence

I think this is true for a lot of people. I have clients who never intended to retire, and had to for various reasons. Most of them LOVE it- even though they couldn't imagine it in advance. Many clients are apprehensive about retiring, and tell me its more wonderful than they could have imagined.

I've always been lazy and unmotivated so ER was easy for me - :)

I was inducted into the work force, (doing menial labour), before my 15th birthday......on my first day of drudgery I realized that this was not something I wished to devote my life to.

I was inducted into the work force, (doing menial labour), before my 15th birthday......on my first day of drudgery I realized that this was not something I wished to devote my life to.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I recall like it was yesterday clocking in for my first shift at Little Caesar's Pizza...it was terrible and figured out then that w*rking (especially for someone else) sucked.

When I was preschool age I used to watch through the window the grade school kids walking to school in blizzards and decided I liked being at home with my dog, books and crayons much better. I still feel that way (except for the crayons) when we are having coffee on the patio and we can hear the morning commute traffic in the distance.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I recall like it was yesterday clocking in for my first shift at Little Caesar's Pizza...it was terrible and figured out then that w*rking (especially for someone else) sucked.
I loved my first full time job! I was a rent-a-car girl in an outdoor booth (decorated with palm fronds), in the International Market Place in Waikiki. I was encouraged to wear a muu-muu to work (so comfy!), and to go barefoot. The boss brought me a free orchid lei every day. I got to laugh and joke with the passers by, and was encouraged to flirt with single men walking by in order to (hopefully) persuade them to rent a car. If I rented a car, I just picked up the phone and told the guys in the lot (a few blocks away) to bring it over. So, my fun wasn't interrupted by dealing with the cars at all. It was like a party, and $1.60/hour was nothing to sneeze at in the mid 1960's.

I came to the same realization you and Nemo did, only it took me until I was in my 40's I suppose. Guess I was a late bloomer. :LOL:

I see nothing wrong with people claiming that retirement is not for them. Maybe they like their job, maybe they don't have the money to retire, maybe they have no friends outside of work, maybe they are afraid to lose their standing in the community... As long as they don't feel entitled to tell me how I should live, I really don't care... We each forge our own path in life and the only thing that matters is if we are happy with our choices.

I loved my first full time job! I was a rent-a-car girl in an outdoor booth (decorated with palm fronds), in the International Market Place in Waikiki. I was encouraged to wear a muu-muu to work (so comfy!), and to go barefoot. The boss brought me a free orchid lei every day. I got to laugh and joke with the passers by, and was encouraged to flirt with single men walking by in order to (hopefully) persuade them to rent a car. If I rented a car, I just picked up the phone and told the guys in the lot (a few blocks away) to bring it over. So, my fun wasn't interrupted by dealing with the cars at all. It was like a party, and $1.60/hour was nothing to sneeze at in the mid 1960's.

I came to the same realization you and Nemo did, only it took me until I was in my 40's I suppose. Guess I was a late bloomer. :LOL:

Sounds like an awesome job!

I worked as an usher at Rosh Hashanah Services yesterday and a partner at my last firm walked up. She said everybody at the office missed me, then she asked "well what was I doing these days?" Was a little difficult to answer but I did tell her that I was heavily involved in music and loving it. Not as a performer but as support personnel. Well that's sort of true. It's a volunteer activity. But it's weird. None of these CPAs can imagine stepping out of that cubicle and doing something else. Meanwhile I can't imagine stepping back into it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom