What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started reading Liberty & Tyranny, a Conservative Manifesto, by Mark Levine.

Finished two good books recently. "Life" by Keith Richards is a must read for Stones fans. Lots of details about the genesis of the songs/music, life on the road etc. I would give this a 7 on a 10 scale. I would have gone higher but Richards is a little too long winded. He also goes into musical detail that was too far beyond me but would be very interesting to the musicians on the board. I ended up liking Richards more after reading this book -- did you know he was an Eagle Scout? :)

Also read, "Zero History," William Gibson's latest. This is another one I would give a 7. At first I found it a little slow and almost abandoned it. But after a while I got into it. It is set in the current day and uses real technology and real cultural activities in a way that highlights how much things (in some quarters) are like his futurist portrayals in some of his early novels. His obsessive focus on fashion and design gets a bit old, but it is a pretty good read.

Just finished Lunatic Express by Carl Hoffman.
From Amazon:
Travel and technology journalist Hoffman (Hunting Warbirds) had two motives for penning this tour of the world's most life-threatening modes of transportation, including trains in India, buses in South America, and trucks in Afghanistan: to expose the "parallel reality," obscured by the tourism industry, of millions for whom "travel was still a punishing, unpredictable, and sometimes deadly work of travail"; and for thrills. By the first measure-showing how much of the world gets from place to place-Hoffman is commendably fascinating: his depiction of the horrors people endure just to see family members or get to work is unforgettable.

I thought it was a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed his premise about how money really buys you privacy and quiet, which are in very short supply in the poor world.

Just finished Julie & Julia, a light and fluffy read. Part of the book is Julie's concern that her biological clock was ticking and with medical issues, she needed to "get with the program" or risk not being able to have a child. I googled to see if she had a baby...got a surprising answer which put a bit of tarnish on her gushing devotion to DH Eric.

The Prime Minister, Anthony Trollope. (Another Amazon freebie.) I cannot get enough of Trollope.

Ha

Just finished Julie & Julia, a light and fluffy read. Part of the book is Julie's concern that her biological clock was ticking and with medical issues, she needed to "get with the program" or risk not being able to have a child. I googled to see if she had a baby...got a surprising answer which put a bit of tarnish on her gushing devotion to DH Eric.

Yeah, thanks for saving me the trouble of reading it. Sounds like the second book about her cheating heart was a nasty piece of work.

Thanks guys, I have Life and The Confession on hold. Both have about 11 holds ahead of me, but I'm patient. And The Reversal came in today.

I am in the middle of Born Fighting. How the Scots Irish shaped America by James Webb. ( Sen. from Va.)

Re-reading "The Sot Weed Factor" by John Barth, forgot it existed and ran across the book while rummaging around looking for something else. First read it about 40 years ago.

I've almost finished "Debunkery" by Ken Fisher. Some interesting challenges to widely held financial and investing beliefs, but a lot of revisiting things which I have long since rejected.

I am in the middle of Born Fighting. How the Scots Irish shaped America by James Webb. ( Sen. from Va.)

Oh, this sounds interesting! I've done some study on the Scots Irish (being one) and was fascinated by the breadth of the politicians and "mover/shakers" even today that count Scots Irish ancestry.

Thanks!

ReWahoo & Sarah: I think you give me too much credit!
I don't think so.

You are the only person I've ever run across who took the time to research, then read and entire book on how to outwit trolls. Everyone else has had to learn how to deal with them from the school of hard knocks.

We're eagerly awaiting the Cliff Notes...

Um, REW, I think it is a murder mystery. Jake, are there any troll-fighting tips for your moderator friends, or is it just how to solve the murder?
:)

I don't think so.

You are the only person I've ever run across who took the time to research, then read and entire book on how to outwit trolls. Everyone else has had to learn how to deal with them from the school of hard knocks.

We're eagerly awaiting the Cliff Notes...

I've been afraid of trolls ever since Billy Goat Gruff!

Maybe the collective of trolls is the same as for crows--a murder of trolls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom