What I don't miss about work.

I had Office Space on in the background when I was puttering yesterday. Still a great movie but after ~11 months of freedom I didn't relate as much as I used to! I don't miss anything!

I had Office Space on in the background when I was puttering yesterday. Still a great movie but after ~11 months of freedom I didn't relate as much as I used to! I don't miss anything!

Yep, based on Office Space and Idiocracy, Mike Judge is demonstrably an excellent documentary film maker. :)

hahaha

"performance reviews" ...seriously--shoot me!
I was in sales so every year we had a new comp plan that paid us less but was window dressed as some amazing plan where the potential was "huge"

This is BY FAR my favorite thread on this site!
Oh I hate our performance reviews....first we do a self assessment then our supervisor goes on top of that....so silly. Another good reason to retire ASAP. Avoid the review.

Oh I hate our performance reviews....first we do a self assessment then our supervisor goes on top of that....so silly. Another good reason to retire ASAP. Avoid the review.

My megacorp occasionally stumbled/lurched into a couple of pretty effective performance review systems. They each lasted two years when it was decided they took way too much time. It was very frustrating to watch something effective discarded because it cost too much.

I just wish I had the guts to answer silly questions like what are you goals for next year with something like "stay employed", "replace my supervisor" or " World peace and cure some dreaded disease.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Lying on the beach every day.

I actually put that in a self-assessment and submitted it to my boss. We had a great chuckle about it and then I changed it to some BS that we both knew would not ring alarm bells with HR.

Yep, based on Office Space and Idiocracy, Mike Judge is demonstrably an excellent documentary film maker. :)

I'm still convinced my office was bugged when they were writing the script... especially Idiocracy as I was in Gov't and not Tech. Brawndo was a running joke with me and one of the few coworkers I really respected... that and "it has electrolytes" as the answer to every stupid decision!

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Lying on the beach every day.

I actually put that in a self-assessment and submitted it to my boss. We had a great chuckle about it and then I changed it to some BS that we both knew would not ring alarm bells with HR.

I was way too honest in my self assessments, especially as I closed in on FI. My boss didn't like it too much as it made more work for her -she always rated me well and told me that I "was doing great work given the circumstances and resources available." One of my former coworkers before she retired adopted Jo Dee Messina's "My give a damn's busted" line and that's were I ended up with my attitude. I did good work but the filter sure came off... not in a burn the bridges way but I sure wasn't going to endorse the status quo.

The best way I can describe my final position was having the job of making a chocolate cake and the only resources available to me was manure... it looked like a pretty cake but I wasn't about to eat it!

Enough of this negativity, there is a Bayou to paddle this morning.....

Retired fireman here. Retired 6 years now, still having dreams almost every night.
It's going to happen. It's somebody else's turn now.

Sorry I missed this.. there's some things you just can't unsee...
Do like the statement..

God do I love Monday mornings....just had to express that.....

God do I love Monday mornings....just had to express that.....

Today is My Buddies very 1st retired Monday... hes bragging about watching the sunrise across the lake from his campsite.

Never heard of Office Space... But now need to find it... Idiocracy was stupidly scary....

Today is My Buddies very 1st retired Monday... hes bragging about watching the sunrise across the lake from his campsite.

That sounds so nice.....I obviously don't know him, but am very happy for him.....

Seeing all the responses here matches completely to my corporate BS Bingo card!! Here's one more for you...Power Point... We used to call it it death by power point. I once went to a well known experts lecture and he started off with saying there will be no power point today. He said " I believe if you use power point you have no power and no point" !! He preceded to give the most fascinating presentation and discussion for 2 hours on economics and world events just talking to us. It was 15 years ago I and I still remember it.

I just wish I had the guts to answer silly questions like what are you goals for next year with something like "stay employed", "replace my supervisor" or " World peace and cure some dreaded disease.

Ha! That's pretty much what I do with the self-evaluation section of my annual performance review.

For the past few years I've just copied and pasted the same information into the form about how the process is demonstrably unfair, that my supervisors are unprofessional, but that I exceed the minimum requirements for my position. My supervisor just gives me the highest possible rating and pushes it up the food chain.

Back
Top Bottom