What if your career pays too well?

I was in a public service career that paid well for me - I was finally a manager and upped my income by $20k by taking the position. I should say - as a librarian, it was good pay and great pay when compared to other city jobs. I had saved in my 457 but decided to buy some "air time" (time I did not actually work) of 4 years and then 2008 happened and what I had remaining was pretty much gone. So I worked 3 more years to bank some cash in that account and to achieve my highest rate of pay. I only needed one year of that pay to have my pension amount to calculate. I could have stayed, I could have stayed and been promoted to the City Librarian position BUT the politics wore me out, having a nasty, back stabbing manager wore me out and I ended up hating my day to day. My mom had died 6 months prior and I just decided - THAT's IT! I'm a person with diabetes and I just looked at my life and said, ok, this is enough money for me. (Luckily I have paid medical for life or I could not have done it). NEVER regretted my decision to retire at 54

Back
Top Bottom