What is the overall bias of your news sources?

What is the overall bias of your news sources

• Left

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Lean left

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Center

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Lean right

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Right

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I try not to read any news nowadays

Votes: 14 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May be bad for democracy. OTOH per the US Constitution:
https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

"Section. 4.

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence."

Sorry, I don't know what your point is - can you clarify? I don't have an issue with the portion of the constitution you quote from (or any other portion, for that matter!)

Too late for what? :confused:

Too late to preserve our freedom and democracy as we now it.

I know it sounds a bit dramatic, and of course, we can survive a certain percentage of our population being disengaged but for our system to work properly, broad participation is essential as it guards against mischief (and worse)

I read only North Korean official news. The kingdom's news is fair and balanced, especially, its stories in relationship to US.

Although I have not voted for anyone from the "other party" in over 25 years, I fastidiously avoid broadcast news sources from my end of the political spectrum. Don't believe I need an echo chamber.

The little bit of broadcast I do take in tends to be center-to-lean to other side. Online sources predominately reflect my views, and I try to get some depth to understand what is behind the (often poorly written) headline.

MY news sources are completely factual, non partisan and unbiased.

YOUR news sources though....:crazy::crazy:

:D:LOL:

I have a love/hate relationship for the news. I long for reporting of *facts* and not opinions but this is very difficult to find. It seems like no matter the source, it will be skewed in one direction or another...rarely will it tell me the "whole story."
This. Seems news organizations are trying to create news and skew public opinion. I am skeptical of most news reports and polls. I am disappointed of not being presented with the "facts" and allowing myself to draw my own conclusions.

I really don't have what I would call a reliable news source. It is mind-numbing to go to two news organizations and get diametrically opposed reports and opinions on a single event or subject.

I like to keep up with current events. I read CNN, Fox, and BBC. it is very interesting to see the difference when they report political news. Overall I like BBC better as I am also interested in news of other parts of the world.

I am afraid i only listen to the local news on the radio... the negativity of the big news media became intolerable.

Here is a graphic from that link showing some of the more popular news sources and the ratings given by people voting on the site:

Capture.jpg

BTW, I tend to agree with these ratings but not exactly all of them.

Thank you for this. I often go to CNN and one day, I looked at Fox News and it looked like another world. I should read more USATODAY

Last edited:
Like others I used to consume lots of news, even made a point of deliberately watching liberal and conservative networks in equal measure. I can’t stand to do that anymore as all my go to’s have drifted to more extreme views and less fort to be balanced. I am very selective on what I’ll watch or listen to today, and still most of the noise gets through anyway.

My primary source isn’t on the chart in post #1, so I used this one.

Interesting comparison to the initial chart. I would put NYT and WP another click to the left for sure.

Crazy times for sure in "news".

Interesting comparison to the initial chart. I would put NYT and WP another click to the left for sure.

Crazy times for sure in "news".

Apparently newspapers were a 1700's phenomena. I don't know what it was like in the ancient Roman Empire ... most likely you got it from the street vendor. Then we had radio, then TV, now the internet. Now we have informal stupid news on social media.

Where is it all headed? Maybe back to the streets. :facepalm:

I try to read stories from the left, the right and everywhere in between. Both sides lie and distort stories or omit stories that don't fit their agenda. That way hopefully I can find some kernel of truth.

In the modern world, online news has a personal bias that reinforces whatever your beliefs are.

Twitter Youtube and Facebook are supposedly the most common ways people access news online. Their featured stories are related to your search habits - i.e. they have a user-generated bias towards topics of interest.

Apparently newspapers were a 1700's phenomena. I don't know what it was like in the ancient Roman Empire ... most likely you got it from the street vendor. Then we had radio, then TV, now the internet. Now we have informal stupid news on social media.

Where is it all headed? Maybe back to the streets. :facepalm:

Well the Roman government did post written declarations and announcements as well as having them read aloud in public squares, etc.

Then there was the town crier...

Newspapers required a printing press. 1609 and you’ve got weekly newspapers in Germany.

There had been hand written newsletters (gazettes) in Venice mid 1500s.

Last edited:
The websites I use for news are biased and always have a 'narrative' they are pushing. Knowing that, I then go to Youtube to get the facts that the news websites omitted. Only on Youtube is the 'elephant in the room' even mentioned.

Well the Roman government did post written declarations and announcements as well as having them read aloud in public squares, etc.

Then there was the town crier...

Newspapers required a printing press. 1609 and you’ve got weekly newspapers in Germany.

There had been hand written newsletters (gazettes) in Venice mid 1500s.

It would be interesting to know what those early "papers" were like. Did the Venetians disparage the Florentines? Was there fake news ... I know the answer to that.

YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter also have a narrative and censor viewpoints and news that they disagree with.

It would be interesting to know what those early "papers" were like. Did the Venetians disparage the Florentines? Was there fake news ... I know the answer to that.
One later English opinion:
The gazzetta was first published in Venice about the middle of the sixteenth century, and similar news-sheets appeared in France and England in the seventeenth. The untrustworthy nature of their reports is often alluded to by writers of that period; thus Florio explains gazzette as “running reports, daily newes, idle intelligences, or flim flam tales that are daily written from Italie, namely from Rome and Venice”.

And have you seen some of those cave paintings? Like Og killed a Mammoth with a rock but it fell into a glacier before he could show the tribe.....yeah, right.

And have you seen some of those cave paintings? Like Og killed a Mammoth with a rock but it fell into a glacier before he could show the tribe.....yeah, right.
:LOL:

If it was on a cave wall it's the truth.

I watch NBC nightly news after DVRing it so I can pause, back up and replay what was actually said. Many times I'll get an emotional reaction to a report, replay it and realize the facts are there, but in a way that triggers an emotion in me that has me with an opinion contrary to the facts. If that makes any sense at all.

I also read the local newspaper, hard copy print delivered to the house each day. Then the e-version of that paper and the local news station for the local stuff.

Everything is left leaning with the local news the most balanced. I get no news from the right or right leaning other than an occasional drive when Rush Limbaugh is on the radio. I am a conservative republican and through all this news, I am a Trump supporter. I'm not sure that's the fault of the Democratic party as it is more the fault of the left leaning press not reporting the unbiased truth. I think any press that leans left or right hurts that party more than helps them, especially when they are caught slanting a story or outright fake news. I think most politicians in America have it in their hearts to make this a better world and that those that are in it for their own personal gain are quickly known and rooted out.

There was an interesting article in The Atlantic titled "A Geography of Partisan Prejudice" here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/03/us-counties-vary-their-degree-partisan-prejudice/583072/

It shows a map of counties in the US by degree of political bias. You can click on your county to see the local result. Our county is in the top 87% of political bias (whether D or R). And our local paper seems to reflect that bias. It has bothered me for quite awhile.

This is why we have decided to stop the subscription to the local (digital) paper and seek a more balanced picture of news. After breakfast I feel emotionally better too. And there are more comics on the web. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom