What is your most precious possesion?

Things (even "keep sakes") seem to be less and less important to me as I get older. I think it's the realization of mortality. None of the "stuff" i have hung onto has any meaning to the next generation, so it will probably be pitched upon my death. So, if I pitch it now or if it is destroyed, stolen, etc. I think I will deal with it just fine. I do have many items which remind me of family, but I also have my memories. So, "stuff" just doesn't hold the meaning it used to. I guess you could rightly say that I'm "letting go" of things - mentally if not physically. Looking back over the 6 years since our big move, we have gotten rid of (literally) tons of stuff I once thought we would keep for life. Trying to think if there is a "most precious" possession - I guess I am stumped. YMMV
+1

My father did not have anything from my grandfather due to WWII.

I myself do not have a lot of personal stuff that's sentimental. I have a few things like my 1st driver license, my college ID, diplomas, awards, patents, etc... I will not throw them away, but the truth is that I do not know where they are in the home, as I have moved boxes around when doing remodeling. I guess I can leave them to my kids, but I am not sure they mean much to them.

Not talking people or places but objects...
That didn't keep me from thinking of the following 1965 song, "Viens Ma Brune (Come, my brunette)", by Adamo, a song I knew in my mid teenage years.

Salvatore Adamo - Viens, ma brune

Viens, Ma Brune / Come, My Brunette

Viens, viens ma brune / Come, come my brunette
Viens écouter la mer /Come listen to the sea
Elle murmure à la dune / She whispers to the dune
Le chant d'un autre univers / The song from another universe
Tu sais il est passé le temps / You know, it's past the time
Où les gens nous traitaient de gosses / When people called us kids
Et si notre amour fut précoce / And if our love was early
Il n'en est que plus beau que plus pur / It is even more beautiful, more pure
Que plus vrai maintenant / And more true now
Tu es ma brune / You are my brunette
Mon bijou le plus cher / My dearest jewel
Tu es toute ma fortune / You are all my fortune
Viens écouter la mer. / Come listen to the sea.

Last edited:
Photos are probably high on my list until I get them digitized, and yes, my iPhone and purse would be the first things I'd try to grab if there was a fire.

I have a few pieces of jewelry that are not valuable, but are sentimental, and probably my sewing machine, as it's old, and my parents found it at a swap meet and got it fixed for me. I also have a few original art pieces, and some collectables that were handed down to me, that I'd probably take if I had an hour to evacuate.

My highschool yearbooks used to be on the list, we did take them last time we evacuated for a fire, but now that my 20th reunion is this weekend, and I'm not even going, I think they've fallen off the list. I always thought they'd be important to me, I had a decent time in high school and was on the yearbook staff, but I have such a different group of friends now, there's only about 6 people that I've bothered to friend on facebook.

This really reminds me that I really should get rid of a lot of the crap that I have in my house.

Back
Top Bottom