What is your mutual fund breakdown?

Equities Bonds Cash 68/14/18 age 60 when I retired at 57 it was the same %'s.

About 70/30 at age 58. Retiring in 18 months. My goal is to get to 60/40 in the next few years and then stay there.

Age 62, aiming for 65 retirement. current 60/35/5 - stock/bond/cash. Will probably keep at this level after retirement at least for a few years.

Just curious. Why not rebalance now if you are so far from what you think your AA should be?

Currently in the process and waiting for some IRA CD's to mature for cash. Plus, I will be consolidating three IRA accounts into one in December.

Interesting, the average age of this forum is much higher than I suspected. I suppose I am just an odd ball having been here since my mid 20's.

Currently at 73.56/23.67/2.77 with a target of 74/26/0 at 36 years old. Really need to rebalance and spend some of the cash but the market just seems so high. Equities are 55.55% US and 45.45 Europe/pacific/EM.

I am 58 (OMG! When did that happen!!!) and DH is 62. Retired since 1999.

Started the year at 53/47. Now it’s around 56/44. Estimated distributions should get me close back to target by the end of the year.

I’ve been planning to switch to a mildly dynamic AA based on CAPE10 that ranges from 50/50 to 60/40. Had some legacy investments that I wasn’t including in the above AA that I finally divested from. Going to roll the proceeds in starting next year targeting a 50/50 AA.

I am amazed at how many folks older than me have much higher equity allocations. If you’ve been that way for a long time you are used to it. We don’t have any pension or SS income — that can make a big difference.

Last edited:
41% Domestic
20% Foreign
32% Bonds
7% Short term and cash

I'm 61, retired for 5 years with a pension that meets my living costs. I'll start taking SS w/DW next year at the tune of $2,500 a month combined. I draw maybe $10K a year from my investments as 'fun' money until next year. Then SS will more than cover that and then some! Can't see a need to tap my investments until I reach RMD once I start SS.

I'm going to be 69 on Friday. DH just turned 71. This is his first RMD year. We are at 54/41/5 and instituted a 5 year plan last year to shift 1% per year away from equities to FI until we reach 50% and stay there. We have pensions/SS/VA disability that cover the majority of our spending and only plan on 1% SWR after the next two years of spending an extra 1% for big ticket items.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I am 69 years old, and enjoying my 9th year of retirement. I have a little income from a mini-pension and SS, but most of my income is from my investment portfolio.

My asset allocation is basically 45:55, equities:fixed. Cash comprises 5.5% and is included in the "fixed" allocation.

Here are my five main mutual funds:

VWIAX Wellesley (30%)
VTSAX Total Stock Market Index
VFWAX FTSE All-World Ex-US Index
VBTLX Total Bond Market Index
TSP "G Fund" (government bond fund)

I also have a tiny amount (~1%) in a Roth IRA that I allow myself to play around with outside my plan, to cut back on the temptation to do so with larger amounts. But for some reason I don't have much desire to do that any more, and it has been in VWELX Wellington since 2013.

Last edited:
At age 63 I am probably going to go with 60% total bond fund, 40% total stock fund from Vanguard. Ben Stein recommends an even 50-50 split.

AA is very personal. Each person has unique circumstances - wife, kids, health, pension, personal networth, risk tolerance (big one). I sleep well with "less risky" portfolio. I don't like big swings in my portfolio as long as it's keeping up with Inflation plus some more. Most retirement is in Growth... everything else falls in "Balanced" or "Moderate".

Just retired at age 50. As of today we are 74/19/7. Mutual funds include Wellington, T.Rowe 2030, and Vanguard S&P. We have pensions which cover the basics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom