What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

I don't think I posted to this thread before, but if it's a duplicate, I apologize.
I recently bought an 8-season boxed DVD set of the USA series "Burn Notice." It is such a well-put together series, a semi-spy thriller with lots of action and an irreverent flavor. Jeffrey Donavan is Michael Westen, a burned spy who takes on odd jobs in the Miami area. His sidekick is Bruce "The Chin" Campbell, and Sharon Gless plays Westen's chain-smoking mother. Gabrielle Anwar is Westen's sultry-but-dangerous love interest. The series maintains a plot thread throughout the run.
+1 on Burn Notice.

I don't think I posted to this thread before, but if it's a duplicate, I apologize.
I recently bought an 8-season boxed DVD set of the USA series "Burn Notice." It is such a well-put together series, a semi-spy thriller with lots of action and an irreverent flavor. Jeffrey Donavan is Michael Westen, a burned spy who takes on odd jobs in the Miami area. His sidekick is Bruce "The Chin" Campbell, and Sharon Gless plays Westen's chain-smoking mother. Gabrielle Anwar is Westen's sultry-but-dangerous love interest. The series maintains a plot thread throughout the run.

Love, love, love "Burn Notice."

Another good older show is White Colar. It’s a somewhat updated version of It Takes a Thief, complete with beautiful women and a ladies man thief. Very entertaining.

Watched original 1990 Twin Peaks, then Twin Peaks: The Return (2017), then the movie Inland Empire (2006).

Subsequently, I discovered that all this David Lynch has burnt out some circuits in my brain.

Another good older show is White Colar. It’s a somewhat updated version of It Takes a Thief, complete with beautiful women and a ladies man thief. Very entertaining.

+1 on White Collar. Another great show. Premise is the head of the FBI division investigating white collar crimes enlists a famous art thief to help him catch crooks.

I watched the original "3:10 to Yuma" last night. It was much better than I expected it would be. I watched the remake a couple of years ago and that one was really good too.

John Ford and Van Heflin starred. Van Heflin's character is a cattle rancher short on cash who gets hired as a mercenary to bring outlaw John Ford to Contention AZ where he will be put on the 3:10 train to Yuma and imprisonment (and likely to be hanged.) The problem is that Ford's gang is looking to free him and kill Van Heflin. The suspense builds and builds as Heflin brings Ford to Contention with the countdown clock of the 3:10 train appointment looming.

I thought the cinematography was really good, even for a black and white movie. The desert scenes were very convincing, looked hot and dry. Ford's character is a talkative, relaxed guy that tries to get inside Van Heflin's head during the entire time he's in captivity.

Every once in a while I like a good western, and this one fit the bill.

We keep running through old comedies--Cheers, Frasier, Golden Girls.
And classic shows like MASH, Quincy ME, Rockford Files, etc.
Recently watch American Graffitii

New shows just don't seem to connect with me right now.

Agreed and Pluto TV has a lot of them. Mamas Family is on the TV right now.

The other day I was scrolling through the local channels on my TV and I found a really old show playing that was a favorite when I was a kid in the UK called Daktari. My favorite characters were Judy the chimp and Clarence the cross eyed Lion. I was amazed that I recognized the show instantly when I haven't seen or thought about it in 50+ years. I haven't watched it yet but it looks like it's available on Roku Channel and Tubi so it's now on my watch list. I hope I enjoy it now as much as I did way back then.

I watched the original "3:10 to Yuma" last night. It was much better than I expected it would be. I watched the remake a couple of years ago and that one was really good too.

John Ford and Van Heflin starred. Van Heflin's character is a cattle rancher short on cash who gets hired as a mercenary to bring outlaw John Ford to Contention AZ where he will be put on the 3:10 train to Yuma and imprisonment (and likely to be hanged.) The problem is that Ford's gang is looking to free him and kill Van Heflin. The suspense builds and builds as Heflin brings Ford to Contention with the countdown clock of the 3:10 train appointment looming.

I thought the cinematography was really good, even for a black and white movie. The desert scenes were very convincing, looked hot and dry. Ford's character is a talkative, relaxed guy that tries to get inside Van Heflin's head during the entire time he's in captivity.

Every once in a while I like a good western, and this one fit the bill.
That was Glenn Ford, not John. Personally I think Ford was miscast, but he was a hot box office star at the time. And the movie was a big hit.

I rewatched Lawrence of Arabia b/c Steven Spielberg felt it was one of the best movies of all time. Then I read about the history. The movie was accurate about what happened. Fascinating movie and real events.

That was Glenn Ford, not John. Personally I think Ford was miscast, but he was a hot box office star at the time. And the movie was a big hit.
Yes, you are correct. I don't know why I wrote "John". I don't even know a John Ford, actor or otherwise.

According to imdb.com, the two leads were originally cast with with their roles reversed--Ford would play the character bringing the criminal in and Van Heflin would play the criminal.

John Ford was one of the most influential move directors and producers of his time. I can see why the similar last name would cause a mix-up. His actually last name was Feeney. Maybe Ford fit better on the back of his director’s chair?

Back
Top Bottom