What "old" series are you watching?

We seem to always have an old series going. Grimm and The Mentalist which were repeats. Bones, The Closer, Major Crimes and Person of Interest, which were new to us. Friends and How I Met Your Mother always have something silly to laugh with.

I've never liked westerns but accidentally caught a bit of a classic Gunsmoke radio show on the internet and listened. Then I deliberately started listening to Gunsmoke radio dramas through earbuds while doing stuff around the house. Really enjoying them. Next thing I know I'm watching TV episodes on Paramount Plus. The black and white hour long episodes from the early 60's. Paramount Plus only had 2 seasons available so after I'd seen those the next thing is I'm DVRing stories from INSP network on cable. Discovered the very early years were one-half hour stories. Very compact story telling and great plots.

This show is not your typical 60's TV show. Stories don't always end on a happy note, in fact, they usually don't. This was surprising to me and many stories really pack a punch.

I'm now past the black and white stories and into the color era. There must have been a change in the main writers or the production crew as these stories, while pretty good, are not as compelling as the black and white era stories.

Andy Griffith is one of the best ever, a classic. We have a whole town here in NC devoted to that show--Mt Airy.

It is, and been to Mt Airy several times for the Fiddlers Convention.

The Rockford Files is my favorite detective show. I love how he lives in a run down mobile home on some prime ocean front real estate and does a lot of fishing. His humor and delivery really make the show. It seems he always loses out on the big payday but always bounces back and seems very content. The other characters are great too including Angel Martin and Rocky his Dad. He has lots of big name guests who appear on the show also.

Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford as Mr. Dan Matthews (no rank mentioned). 2150 to headquarters! early morning on MeTV.

Madame Secretary is very similar to West Wing, not sure where Madame Secretary is showing but I bet it is on somewhere on reruns.

Madam Secretary is on Netflix.

I watched all 20 seasons of Gunsmoke a couple years back as it was airing 6 days per week on MeTV and when they started over, I started watching again about half way through the series watching about 10 seasons again to the end. I use an antenna and computer based DVR to record MeTV broadcasts.

watched the original Twin Peaks series on DVD as well - hadn't seen it before.

I watched some episodes of Crime (Peacock) and Kolchak (MeTV), but I didn't really like them. I had watched Crime Story some way back in 1986 and liked it at the time, but Kolchak was new to me.

Recently watched the mini-series Battlestar Galactica on Peacock.

Now, I am watching House some evenings on Peacock, but I have already seen many of those episodes before.

I watch one episode of Star Trek TOS per week as aired on MeTV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom