What stocks are you shopping?

Trying to decide between Doordash DASH, and UBER. Leaning towards Doordash. Projected 5 year earnings look great.

Comments?

Will buy and hold long term a few shares of LLY, ASML, NVDA. Have owned CCJ for many years waiting for the nuclear renaissance.

Looking at SBUX. Sitting at PE of 23 with a median of about 29. 2.6% div that's grown every year for a decade. Double digit earnings growth predicted.

Thinking $85 would be a good price. Might sells puts or just buy outright...

I am looking for company at the forefront of carbon capture technology.
Carbon capture will be a game changer.
Searching through Google, only found a few start up, Occidental Petroleum showed up.
Anybody has insight?

I am looking for company at the forefront of carbon capture technology.
Carbon capture will be a game changer.
Searching through Google, only found a few start up, Occidental Petroleum showed up.
Anybody has insight?

The chemistry and/or physics of carbon renewal is simple enough in concept, but the economics are against it. The only "efficient" way to lower carbon emissions is not to burn carbon. That technology is becoming something approaching "mature" (think wind technology and solar panel technology as well as nuclear.) It is becoming "just" possible to replace most energy production with these and newer technologies.

It won't be easy or cheap, and it won't be without controversy, but it is now just possible. The remaining piece of the puzzle is storing the intermittent energy that non-carbon sources rely on. If I were looking for carbon reduction technology to invest in, I'd think more in terms of skipping the middle man and going straight to storage technology (batteries, pumped storage, fly wheel, compressed gas storage, etc.)

Imagine the issues of carbon removal - even at high concentration sources (think power plants.) IF you could take a significant amount of the carbon from the exhaust stream and concentrate it (maybe as liquefied CO2 such as you find in a CO2 fire extinguisher), where would you store it? The input for a power plant is on the order of 100 rail cars per day of coal. The CO2 liquid is very roughly the same density as coal, so you now are looking at storing 100 rail cars of CO2 liquid (at about 75PSI.) Where/how do you do that? Maybe under ground?? Talk about NIMBY, though.:cool:

The math gets worse if you try to convert the carbon to a non gaseous, non-liquefied-pressurized form - say converting to CaCO3 with CaO (lime). Oh, and we produce lime by (wait for it) heating CaCO3 to drive off (wait for it) CO2. And where do you store 2 to 3 times the weight of calcium carbonate for 1 times the amount of coal you started with. The good news is that the density of CaCO3 is such that you'd just about convert the coal cars of coal into the same number of coal cars of CaCO3.

I'm not saying carbon removal can't be done. It can. But it will cost more than NOT burning carbon. NOT burning carbon is a lot better than dealing with the CO2 that burning produces. That is where I would concentrate my investments but YMMV.

Normally I invest in Dividend Aristocrats for the income. Every once in a while I go out on a limb with a small amount of money. Lately a company called Byrna Technologies caught my attention. They sell CO2 self defense pistols that launch .68 caliber projectiles, some with pepper spray, that can incapacitate an attacker up to 60 feet away long enough for you to leave the scene. They are legal even for concealed carry in all states. I was interested because we travel in a motorhome across state lines. With the various gun laws in different states, carrying a regular firearm for self defense can be dicey. My wife and I both purchased one. We mentioned them to several of our friends; some of whom bought them for the same reason. Soon we started hearing about them in several places. This prompted me to investigate the company, which is a recent start up. They sell their products on line to individuals, but lately have received orders from several police departments, most notably a large recent one from the Argentine government. Last October the stock was selling in the $2 range. To make a long story short, I bought in at $8.29 in February. Since then it has been as high as $14.00 but settled back in the mid $12 range. It may not be something to bet the farm on, but it is fun to watch.

Normally I invest in Dividend Aristocrats for the income. Every once in a while I go out on a limb with a small amount of money. Lately a company called Byrna Technologies caught my attention. They sell CO2 self defense pistols that launch .68 caliber projectiles, some with pepper spray, that can incapacitate an attacker up to 60 feet away long enough for you to leave the scene. They are legal even for concealed carry in all states. I was interested because we travel in a motorhome across state lines. With the various gun laws in different states, carrying a regular firearm for self defense can be dicey. My wife and I both purchased one. We mentioned them to several of our friends; some of whom bought them for the same reason. Soon we started hearing about them in several places. This prompted me to investigate the company, which is a recent start up. They sell their products on line to individuals, but lately have received orders from several police departments, most notably a large recent one from the Argentine government. Last October the stock was selling in the $2 range. To make a long story short, I bought in at $8.29 in February. Since then it has been as high as $14.00 but settled back in the mid $12 range. It may not be something to bet the farm on, but it is fun to watch.

I would be hesitant to use a device like that because it looks like a real gun, especially in the dark. You pull that out on an attacker and they might respond with a real gun. You never know.

I had a similar non-lethal defensive product that I invested in just before the pandemic, WRAP. The company makes a device that police use to shoot a tether at a suspect. The tether wraps around the person's legs and/or torso rendering them immobile. Police can then move in and easily handcuff the perp. I got in at $4.00 or $4.30. Then the riots after the George Floyd killing took place and the stock price took off, got up to $13.00 the summer of 2020. Then the price dropped around $5 to $6 and then sunk like a rock. I stupidly hung on, finally waiting for it to get over $2 before I dumped it at a loss. I didn't have much at risk, I think I bought 1,000 shares.

My message is to watch it like a hawk and maybe sell if it gets to within 10% of your original buy price.

Last edited:
I would be hesitant to use a device like that because it looks like a real gun, especially in the dark. You pull that out on an attacker and they might respond with a real gun. You never know.

I had a similar non-lethal defensive product that I invested in just before the pandemic, WRAP. The company makes a device that police use to shoot a tether at a suspect. The tether wraps around the person's legs and/or torso rendering them immobile. Police can then move in and easily handcuff the perp. I got in at $4.00 or $4.30. Then the riots after the George Floyd killing took place and the stock price took off, got up to $13.00 the summer of 2020. Then the price dropped around $5 to $6 and then sunk like a rock. I stupidly hung on, finally waiting for it to get over $2 before I dumped it at a loss. I didn't have much at risk, I think I bought 1,000 shares.

My message is to watch it like a hawk and maybe sell if it gets to within 10% of your original buy price.
Different strokes for different folks. I respect your opinion and your right to speak out.

Like I said this was basically fun money. I did the same thing with Zoom at the beginning of Covid and sold it 3 months later.

Byrna has multiple products, greatly increased marketing exposure on several significant talk radio shows, new interest from police departments, plus they sell ammunition to existing owners as an on going business. I don't have a crystal ball but will see what happens.

Up over 400% on Sezzle (SEZL) still has loads of room to run over the years, but I do expect it to pull back to around $25-30 from where it is at now this year.

I am waiting for Klarna to IPO this year, that will be a huge opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom