What stocks are you shopping?

I rolled the dice and bought some TDOC last week after it dropped. I figured that the drop would be an overreaction, but today I decided that I had not done my homework and that my thesis was entirely based on the assumption that people overreact. So I sold out today and booked a 14% gain.

Started nibbling my way back in yesterday and now again today. But it feels different this time. :LOL:

acct #1) Cumulative list of purchased shares: T (25 sh), ABBV (10 sh), BX (10 sh), MDT (14), ENZL (10), SCHD (10), SPYD (15).

acct #2) Increased positions in MSFT, USRT, SCHE, SCHF, SCHG.

acct #3) Increased positions in VXF, SCHG, VXUS.

Dang, drop half a million on two names. Go big or go home I guess.

XOM would have me a little nervous...I liked it better when it was $55...I really liked Microsoft when it was $30 a share but nobody else did.

I bought Mr. Softie at $31.40 in April 2010. :greetings10:

ETA: Still own it.

Last edited:
DIS is only 0.16% above strike of the put that I sold, so I may be a proud owner of DIS soon.

DIS is only 0.16% above strike of the put that I sold, so I may be a proud owner of DIS soon.

DIS is sinking like a rock in water. I thought about buying it a month or so ago when it was ready to announce earnings and then I read about the political stuff and chickened out. I think it was around $150 at that time and down from the $180's.

Started nibbling my way back in yesterday and now again today. But it feels different this time. :LOL:
Well I ended up taking a little more than a nibble... Well actually several nibbles yesterday and today... (DCA'ing) Not a lot like last week but still some nice chunks of CSCO, XOM and MSFT. (in that order) XOM did ok but if CSCO and MSFT continue to drop next week, I'll probably "double down" on both of them. Funny how I keep using gambling terminology in my trading.

DIS is sinking like a rock in water. I thought about buying it a month or so ago when it was ready to announce earnings and then I read about the political stuff and chickened out. I think it was around $150 at that time and down from the $180's.

Disney's IP is insane. I don't quite understand why there's so much love for all those infantile cartoons, movies and shows but the facts are that people enjoy them. The political stuff is temporary and I'm convinced it will have no influence on the long term well being of this company. I bought it at the latest dip and while I'm down now, I have less than zero worries.

Disney's IP is insane. I don't quite understand why there's so much love for all those infantile cartoons, movies and shows but the facts are that people enjoy them. The political stuff is temporary and I'm convinced it will have no influence on the long term well being of this company. I bought it at the latest dip and while I'm down now, I have less than zero worries.
The future of course doesn't care about our likes and dislikes. My general opinion of media entertainment companies doesn't change the future.

We received DIS shares by virtue of inheriting FOXA a few years back. DIS has done well, but plenty of headwind. For now I'm confident they will weather what's ahead. Their market is younger individuals, and I know that is a segment that is misunderstood here, and sometimes derided. But that is the future market DIS grows into, and I have no problem with the strategy. You can flip to the Disney stream and feel safe about it, like we used to do with public broadcasting. My 35-something kid watches the movies. DIS is not going away.

As the stock price gets closer to $100, We'll add, maybe double our position. Sames goes for WBD. Netflix worries me. Hearing significant complaints and dropping of service.

YMMV.

Well I bought a good bit more XOM, and a little more MSFT and CSCO today.... Still have some room but I'm getting close to my preset limits on all three. If all of these go back anywhere near their recent highs I'm going to be a happy camper.

Last edited:
Well I bought a good bit more XOM, and a little more MSFT and CSCO today.... Still have some room but I'm getting close to my preset limits on all three. If all of these go back anywhere near their recent highs I'm going to be a happy camper.

I bought a small position in OXY as they announce earnings tomorrow night. Also picked up AAPL @$152 and immediately sold a covered call on it.

Last edited:
It's hard to decide. Stocks that I think are at a nice valuation, I already have plenty. I would hate to keep adding to my existing positions, because if I am wrong, that just hurts like crazy when the market recovers and they don't.

So, I have to look at adding new positions. This requires me to do more work to investigate.

PS. For market timing in extreme situations, just buying the index can work wonder. Perhaps I will wait to do just that.

Last edited:
I have finally feeling the pain of this down draft and it is affecting my appetite for equities.

I almost doubled my position in PLTR today and bought 10 shares of TSLA.

At this point I might be stopping buying for a while, but I did open a 20 share position in VTI and plan to add more if I think the bleeding will stop soon.

I might add to my tiny position in gene editing stocks, which has been brutally hammered or maybe some ARKG.

But I am getting close to going back into my shell until this is over.

I keep thinking how ironic it is that I was preaching the big crash for the past five years with mainly cash, only to start to increase equities when my prediction finally comes true.

Added to VDE today and also OIH.

Both were down over 9% today. We shall see, could be a break in oil demand...or it could be because they are good sources of funds for folks looking to sell any winner they have to make up for losses.

Also nibbled on INMD and for my 19 year old XBI.

I'm buying about 20k more of O at these prices. Buying on the way down. Best dividend stock on The Street.

I have no plans to buy long stocks until inflation and the Fed start to reverse course. Recently I bought a bit more DRV and TTT (inversing real estate and treasuries). Time range wise, I would guess I will go long sometime within Q4 this year to Q2 next year.

Last edited:
looking at oils and drugs.

As investments...;)

Drug companies have been taken out to the woodshed, beat on for 30 min, then buried, dug up, drowned, burned, then buried again.

Oil is still pretty high.

Drug companies have been taken out to the woodshed, beat on for 30 min, then buried, dug up, drowned, burned, then buried again.

Oil is still pretty high.

Yes. is hard. cheap relative to earnings, but of we enter a recession they will drop.

Also looking at long-term growth names that have fallen to earth.

I've been buying a few shares of VTI here and there. It's like trying to catch a falling knife though...

It's hard to decide. Stocks that I think are at a nice valuation, I already have plenty. I would hate to keep adding to my existing positions, because if I am wrong, that just hurts like crazy when the market recovers and they don't.

So, I have to look at adding new positions. This requires me to do more work to investigate.

PS. For market timing in extreme situations, just buying the index can work wonder. Perhaps I will wait to do just that.
Your thinking is similar to what I do with SCHG growth (IRA) and SCHD value (Taxable).

The top 10 are doing a lot of the work in SCHG.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 26
AMGEN seems to have missed the carnage.

It is holding up ok, sure, but it was this same price pre-covid, so no net gain. Other drug companies have not held up as well.

Back
Top Bottom