what to do with 35mm slides!

I got an inexpensive slide and 35mm negative scanner from DW, who purchased it from Hammacher Schlemmer for about $150. Spent five or six full days scanning many hundreds of both my deceased parents slides as well as my immediate family collection from the early 80's. Made copies for siblings on memory sticks. All said they appreciate and enjoy them. Haven't yet disposed of the originals as it seems so "final", but it's bound to happen one of these days!

How do folks keep their pics? On the cloud?
I have always ha Dropbox so I was planning on moving them up there.

I just keep the family photos on my hard drive and also on a memory stick.

I find the comments about only keeping/scanning photos that include family members interesting. I am somewhat the opposite. I think vintage photos are so much more interesting when the people are doing something - posing by a car, in a factory, working the farm, etc etc. Family photos by the Christmas tree with opened gifts can give so much more to look at than 6 people lined up on a couch. In addition, photos with cars, motorcycles, trains, a kitchen during meal preparation, pets, etc preserve history and are of great interest to people outside the family. Many of those photo's have real value. Here is one example of interesting photos being collected: https://www.shorpy.com/

ALSO - does anyone have a link to the above mentioned camera based "scanners"?

Jim

Note that SCANZA is more toy than scanner. The 14 megapixel claim does not reflect reality. SCANZA scans at a low resolution, then magnifies that to create a final image. Yes, the resulting image may contain 14 million pixels, but most pixels are merely smoothed duplicates of the surrounding ones, resulting in a blurry image. Having tried one, I would estimate the true SCANZA resolution at under 1 megapixel. Something like an Epson Perfection V600, or later model, will be more time consuming to use, but will yield far, far superior results. Before buying, compare the reviews for both devices on Amazon.

ALSO - does anyone have a link to the above mentioned camera based "scanners"?
If you type "Scanza" on Amazon, you'd have one example. There are others that are also camera-based, but they're not easy to filter out from the MUCH slower scanner-based devices.

I agree with GH that 14MP of the Scanza is pure fiction. But I concluded that since all I was likely to do is show at something like 1920 x 1080, the difference between the best, and Scanza wasn't worth the 100 fold increase in time investment.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/macro-and-camera-for-slides-111031-2.html#post2673875

My dad left hundreds of color slides and film negatives from the 50s and 60s. They were mostly taken in Europe, but some from the USA. We lived in England and Germany and traveled a lot. He had good quality cameras and an eye for a picture.

I spent countless hours sorting the slides based on my interest in them and taking out ones that I didn't want. I got a flatbed scanner and scanned in over 760. I used a software to index them based on keywords for locations and people to make it easy to find them. I still have many more to scan but I don't have a lot of interest as it takes so long and I have done the best ones.

I posted them on Flickr and I got comments from people who recognized places and helped me to identify where some of them were taken. My dad focused more on places than on our family members, but I still do have many from when I was a boy.

I had a number of online publications ask to use some of the pictures. One guy even made a then and now book for a city in Germany and used about 15 of my pictures from the 50s.. I've seen color slide sets for sale on eBay for a fair amount of money. People like the mid-century period and will buy family pictures out of historical interest.

There are pages that I follow on social media that post mid-century pictures.

I'm doing parents slides I have from 1947 -> 1977.

I just take a carousel of slides and run them through my Magnasonic branded scanner I bought for $45 from a person used, (sells for $119 on Amazon new).
It's basically like the Kodak scansa , and does allow changing the light and colors, but I really only change the light if anything.

Each carousel of slides is labeled , so I just make a directory on the computer "Parents scanned slides 1947" . So there is a subject that relates to the carousel so I can find marked slides if I decide to do a serious quality scan.

It is fast and is a toy, but a toy that is good enough to get a good idea if I want the slides or not. Any that I see that are interesting - that have relatives in them for example I mark with a pen so I can pick them out later if I decide to do a serious scan of them.

I am finding about 5 slides out of a 100 slide carousel are being marked as maybe worthy of a quality scan.

I noticed my parents bought slides when they did their big trip of their life to Florida (we were NOT rich). All the bought slides faded and turned orange. I just threw those away.

I notice some slides are rich in color and some are faded a lot, from ones my parents shot. No pattern that I can see in the type of slide film.

I have boxes full of old family pictures in 35mm slides.
I used to have a carousel slide projector but that died years ago.
Now I need to do something with them. There are likely good
momento pics in there.
What do folks do with piles of old pics and slides??

I digitized all my photos/slides etc in a big push to downsize. There are very inexpensive gadgets, mine was about $60, that will digitize 35mm and all the mm's. Very tedious but well worth it. Then get rid of all that crap. When you're gone not many people will look at it or maybe even want it. At least that's my experience. Not that I'm gone yet writing from heaven/hell. lol. No one, even now, looks at my photos and I think they're pretty interesting. World travel, etc. I don't even look at them. :)

Back
Top Bottom