What two lenses would you Pick to travel with and why?

If you have a specific type of photography you like to do, then that will dictate the lens(es) you carry. The fact that you're asking suggests to me that there is no one specific situation you are thinking of.

It sounds a bit lazy and maybe haphazard of me to say this, but experienced photographers find a way to make great images with whatever they have to hand. I lost all my passion for schlepping gear around a few years ago, and sold several lenses and a whole bunch of lighting equipment. Even then, the DSLR, two lenses, and a flash felt like too much. I wanted to have fun taking pictures again, so I purchased a little Ricoh GR II. It's a fixed lens compact with an APS-C sensor, and it's a lot of fun. What I found with this compact was that I spent all my time looking at the world around me, and thinking about timing, framing, and composition, and no time wondering if I was using the right lens. It was very freeing.

My advice would be to think about it a bit (not too much), pick a couple of lenses, then go and enjoy yourself. The discipline of working with what you have is a very worthwhile one, IMO. Better still, pick just one lens, leave it on the body, and go take photos with it. For the record though, I am not a gearhead, and am not keen on zooms.

Back
Top Bottom