What was your happiest moment today?

Woke up to 6" of fresh fluffy snow. When I let the dog out, Shitzu size, she doesn't have the ground clearance to get around very well. When she squatted in the snow [emoji300] I started laughing at her predicament. I swear she gave me a dirty look.

:LOL:

Gal and I were able to get registered for our first Covid shot, to be given this afternoon at the fairgrounds. Expectation was that we would be hours in line and have to wrassle our way through bureaucracy to get shots - I'm not a California resident, California is dealing with a big population, insufficient vaccine doses, high infection rates and a bum batch of vaccine. And rain was forecast, for the first time in months. Still, worth the attempt. Went an hour and a half early and this was the sight that greeted us:

Indio fairgrounds.jpg

We were done in half an hour, including 15 minutes to see if the Moderna vaccine would give us fits.

Great pain free shot (i don't care for needles at all and the news has shown far too many arm penetrations). No side effects 7 hours later. Made me pretty happy.

Gal and I were able to get registered for our first Covid shot, to be given this afternoon at the fairgrounds. Expectation was that we would be hours in line and have to wrassle our way through bureaucracy to get shots - I'm not a California resident, California is dealing with a big population, insufficient vaccine doses, high infection rates and a bum batch of vaccine. And rain was forecast, for the first time in months. Still, worth the attempt. Went an hour and a half early and this was the sight that greeted us:

View attachment 37433

We were done in half an hour, including 15 minutes to see if the Moderna vaccine would give us fits.

Great pain free shot (i don't care for needles at all and the news has shown far too many arm penetrations). No side effects 7 hours later. Made me pretty happy.

Nice! Do you know when you'll be getting your second shot?

Nice! Do you know when you'll be getting your second shot?

Supposed to be after 2-16. Imagine it will be difficult to get a slot for those shots, but mighty happy to be this far down the trail.

I realized that while we enjoyed every bit of the festivities on TV yesterday, several poor friends missed out due to being at w*rk, which I didn’t even think about until they commented, “What did I miss?” Today, I took a long walk through a beautiful, warm city where we are snowbirding for 3 months. Our new FIREd life is good. OK, that’s two happiest moments, among many today.

Booking our Covid19 vaccinations!!! Saw a ND post that a local provider opened to 65+ (mine was at 75+) and you didn't have to be a member. Got some pizza and beer to celebrate :dance:.

Met a friend I had not seen since last March for a masked, outside walk. It was 43 and windy today, which is good January weather for us. Then DH and I picked up takeout and the pasta trio was delicious, with a nice glass of wine.

We just finished watching the inauguration special hosted by Tom Hanks (on Youtube streaming channel). It'll be in my regular rotation of live music vids, as the performances/ production were beautiful.

What a surprise!

Wow - what a surprise! DW and I were in the kitchen cleaning up after breakfast. I looked out the window and saw our son's car sitting in our driveway! He has just driven well over two hours through the snow to come see us. We had a lot of fun just visiting with him and the three of us went out and continued the conversation over a wonderful steak dinner! It doesn't get much better than that. :)

Okay, okay ... mundane as it is, I can't help saying, "It's Monday morning and I'm not working!" Just getting ready for breakfast at 10:37 a.m. I LOVE retirement! :)

Supposed to be after 2-16. Imagine it will be difficult to get a slot for those shots, but mighty happy to be this far down the trail.

Count your blessings! We're still in line for the first shot; waiting for a phone call. Who knows when the VA will be giving them to other than facility residents and first responders, and DW is still in line despite being seriously immune-compromised. We're hoping soon for both of us. Not complaining; thankful vaccines are available and being rolled out. Just saying.

It was actually yesterday but got my first hole in one. It had been a long time since being that excited. It was extra fun that a lot of my friends witnessed it. Bad part was I had to buy breakfast for everyone. Nah, I was glad to buy breakfast.

It was actually yesterday but got my first hole in one. It had been a long time since being that excited. It was extra fun that a lot of my friends witnessed it. Bad part was I had to buy breakfast for everyone. Nah, I was glad to buy breakfast.

That sounds like a wonderful day! Congratulations.

Very simple but needed. I was happy to get back to working out today. I’d been seriously slacking on my workouts and eating correctly so I was very happy to get my workout in and eat properly today. That first step is always the most important and now just have to keep it going. Never stop trying.

A friend is visiting us for a few weeks, but now has to spend the part of his trip down here w*rking from home, my home for now. He gets up early in the AM to cajole folks on the phone and click away on a laptop. We get up late, make coffee, and eventually breakfast on the sunny patio.

I forgot how many hours of your life a full time j*b consumes and how little energy is available for anything else. Now I remember and appreciated better the joys of FIRE!

Tom52,

Congratulations on the Hole In One! What was the distance? I'm still hoping for my first.

It was 112 yards, with a pitching wedge.

Reminds me...

I hit one in 1992. My only one. Good friend and fellow golfer hasn't gotten one, but really wants to hit one, more than most golfers.

His dad (RIP Charlie) played golf well into his 80s. Length shortened, but still accurate and could score just fine. Whenever HIOs came up, he'd start his conversation with "When I hit my FIRST hole in one...".

Yea, he had two. He always loved to stick it to his son that he didn't have one yet.
:)

Finding out that I hadn't moved an anchor block behind a wall there pouring today. They requested I go move some of our materials and that involved some really tight spaces with this 29,000 lb excavator. I woke up in the night and thought about it. I can't wait for those times to end.

My happiest moment today was when I checked the weather forecast for next week.

I am scheduled to receive my second Covid vaccination on 2/17, at a clinic a 30 minute drive from my home. Until this morning, the forecast for that day and the days surrounding it indicated a wintry mix and freezing rain. I was not looking forward to trying to navigate those road conditions, but there was also no way I was going to miss the appointment.

The revised forecast is below. No snow, no ice, and 51 degrees. *PHEW* :dance:

Attachments

• Feb 17 Weather.PNG
    Feb 17 Weather.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 34
Getting a phone call from my 80yo sister. She lives in Austin and I haven't been able to get hold of her since the cold set in. No home phone working, her cell was out of juice and she couldn't get to her vehicle to charge it. She spent a day and half without electricity, heat, water, or real food when her daughter and granddaughter came to rescue her. Her daughter had 7 people who were staying there, they mostly had electricity and heat.

I just found this thread. Great idea.

Here’s mine for today. I have a friend in Australia and today (well tomorrow there) is her daughter’s first birthday. A little while ago she did a video chat with me and our mutual friend in Chicago (I’m from NJ though in FL at the moment). We got to watch her open some gifts and we chatted for a bit. We even got to say hi to her one sister who came by, who we also know.

I love that we all carry the tech in our pockets to connect so easily and for free with someone literally on the other side of the world. She lives 10,000 miles from us.

I’ve actually had quite a few happy moments today! I’d say the happiest is that I was invited to play on a mixed doubles tennis team. I played tennis last night against a few ladies who were quite good, and to my surprise, I saw two of them today as I was finishing up my tennis clinic. They called my name and I went over to say hi and to let them know that if they ever needed a fourth for doubles, I could be available on short notice. Instead of just being nice and saying goodbye, they invited me to join the mixed doubles team they are forming for a league that starts in May. They complimented my play and seemed genuinely interested in having me on their team. That felt good because it has been a frustrating year tennis-wise; trying to get connected to tennis players in a new town can sometimes be a challenge. So I’m happy to have an opportunity to play and to meet new people as well.

We got access to my wife's work retirement account and increased her contribution substantially.

Take your pick....

Watching the temperature rise above freezing for the first time in a week.... Getting my electrical power to stay on for more than a day at a time....
Getting the water running again....

Back
Top Bottom