What you are doing to lower holiday stress?

Cash to the kids; cookies to the parents. One of the best things we ever did was stop swapping gifts for the grown-ups in our family. Cuts out the stress of shopping and/worry of not finding the right/acceptable gift.

Not flying across country to visit family.

This! Also no spouse or kids, so it will really be just another day. Weather looks nice, so take the canines for a long walk, maybe do some tracking practice with them.

I have a history of “avoiding Christmas” like the plague. This is solely due to household problems when I was a kid and misconceptions of “the meaning of Xmas” when I got older.

Anyway, holidays have been difficult for me and when single, I used to run away to Vegas or escape to a warm climate.

Thanksgiving at the parents really stressed me out this year - so wifey and I opted to postpone our holiday visit to after the holidays - maybe February.

Regarding shopping, I ordered her a Tiffany bracelet online and a movie on DVD which she has been wanting to see.

Bah Humbug,

I

Our big family celebration was moved to the Saturday after Christmas instead of the usual Christmas Eve. Since all kids are grown and becoming parents, we don’t want to put pressure on anyone to attend our gathering when they want to see others in their family.
We buy mainly for the grandkids, but try to buy some things for our grown kids. Last years we gave a nice chunk of change to each of the boys and their wives. Next year we may go back to that.
We do go to Midnight Mass and love it. The Mass and music are beautiful. It’s not as crowded as the early evening or Christmas morning masses, and I don’t like crowds, so less stress.

kids get token gifts and $.
I am just giving candy & dividing my December dividends between them. If they do want the candy (not a chance with my bunch), I can eat it ..... if they don't want the check they don't have to deposit it. I think that'll happen as they go home [emoji857]

It's hard to beat my childhood memories of Christmas Eve with my grandparents. DH was lucky enough to enjoy a few 12/24s with them before their passing.

In our 22-year marriage, we've tried a few quirky approaches toward a stress-free Christmas, including no presents and buying presents during the after-Christmas sales. What has stuck:

- no long-distance travel to family
- no presents between us and adult family members. Everyone has everything they need.
- meatless Christmas Eve dinner (fettuccine Alfredo and champagne - easy!)
- a few inexpensive presents between DH and I, just for surprises
- small trees, or, due to our omnivorous cat, no tree at all

I watch "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" every year.

I would explain, but you'd have to be me to understand.

Merry Christmas to all. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom