What's causing pixelated images on my computer?

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
A few days ago a few of the images on my desktop PC started pixelating (see example below from Clark.com). If I reload the page, the problem may or may not repeat. The problem shows up on various web pages and appears to be random. I've made no changes to hardware or software, and a PC reboot made no difference.

Ideas?

Attachments

• pixellated.JPG
    pixellated.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 69
I hope someone can solve this, as I am having the same issue with some websites. i thought it had to do with some latency in the server or due to my Norton VPN so I disabled the VPN and tested (before and after) my internet speed. The VPN severely slowed the connection and increased latency. Since turning it off, I am not seeing this pixel issue as much, but I have seen it still.

A few days ago a few of the images on my desktop PC started pixelating (see example below from Clark.com). If I reload the page, the problem may or may not repeat. The problem shows up on various web pages and appears to be random. I've made no changes to hardware or software, and a PC reboot made no difference.

Ideas?

Windows? Which version and which browser?

I've had the video pixelate in the past (Windows PC) when the video card was overheating.

Odd this happened to me at the same time, maybe due to update as mentioned. I have a 2016 model Asus Zen with icore7 and both intel and Nvidia graphics. I just looked and there is a critical update from Asus pending. I know I can't upgrade to Windows 11, because for some glitch this configuration is not listed by MS.

Same here, Win 10 and Chrome. I just did the Asus critical update, and I think my refresh has improved.

Not seeing the same problem on Microsoft Edge. Strongly suspect it's an issue with Chrome.

Do you use scaling with Chrome? I have had issues with that in the past.

Do you use scaling with Chrome? I have had issues with that in the past.

Bingo! ...at least I think.

I wasn't aware I used scaling in Chrome, didn't really know what it was until I did a little research. Ran across this: HOW TO FIX GOOGLE CHROME SCALING IN WINDOWS 10

Followed the steps to Override High DPI Scaling Behavior and the pixilation issue appears to be gone.

Muchas gracias!

Sigh...spoke too soon:

Well, it could be originating from the web site.

You can check the Win 10 display settings. Resolution (desktop>display>adjust resolution). Then check the display drivers Device manager>display adaptors - update, properties, etc.

Thanks.

Checked/updated the display resolution and driver without success. Don't think it is originating from the web site since neither my or DW's 2021 laptops (both running Win 10 and Chrome) have the issue. The problem source is almost certainly my Dell desktop purchased in 2017. Been thinking about retiring it and using the new laptop as my daily driver at some point. This may be the point.

The problem source is almost certainly my Dell desktop purchased in 2017. Been thinking about retiring it and using the new laptop as my daily driver at some point.

Great idea! Since you have the laptop right now, trying out that transition won't even cost you a cent. See how you like it and if it fits your needs.

I have used nothing but laptops at home for over a decade, and for my needs they are perfect (although I do buy ones with the 17" screen now that my eyes are getting older). Anyway I don't even buy a desktop computer any more.

Right now I have two 17" Dell laptops, one bought in 2020 and one in 2021. The second one is for Frank when he is over here and wants to multitask while watching TV, and also I like having an extra just in case mine craters.

I like sitting on my comfie recliner while on the computer. Each laptop is on a swivel table like this one, which allows me to pull it as close to my eyes as I want, or push it away when that's more convenient.

The problem source is almost certainly my Dell desktop purchased in 2017.
I have a 2016 model Asus Zen with icore7 and both intel and Nvidia graphics.
It's related to a recent Chrome update. The common solution seems to be disabling "hardware acceleration".

Chrome support: https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/151235035/some-images-in-google-chrome-are-pixelated?hl=en

This Reddit thread says it's more noticeable on older PCs: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/sy4mdd/chrome_graphical_glitch/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom