What's with the bathroom double sinks as a new standard of bath amenities?

I thought of this thread when I saw this article:

Kiss these 10 once-popular home features goodbye - Slide Show - MarketWatch

OK, it's the kitchen, not the bath vanity, but still...

Yup, when we did our kitchen/bath remodel a couple of years ago, we went with single bowl for the bath and double for the kitchen. We really do like the double in the kitchen. It actually cost very little more than a single sink since it is all molded into one piece. We can both work there which is our usual MO.

We have one more bath to redo "someday" and it will be single bowl. Just rarely need to be dueling with tooth brushes or hand soap, so single works for us. When it's not, either of us can use the hall bath or kitchen sink for 99% of what that extra bowl would be used for - and those already are in place. Just personal preference, perhaps, but also, a matter of money priority. We worry very little about resale value. We figure by the time we die or are ready to move to the "home", the baths will need to be redone anyway. Let the next owners decide whether they want to install a double anything.

Our present house has two vanities in the master bath, and it's even better than dual sinks. Similar to Kat, we each do our own thing, except my "thing" is a blank counter, easy to wipe down, etc. DH wants everything cluttered around on his.
When we downsize, we'll not have this luxury anymore, but will have two baths, so my plan is to "assign" each of us a bathroom. The great thing the condo does have is medicine cabinets--so you can have stuff easily accessible without having to have nothing but clutter. I HATE this modern " big flat mirror/no medicine chest" design that ALL of our houses have had.
I find my beloved so odd--now we have four bathrooms, and he has to have multiple toothbrushes in three of them, along with toothpastes. :confused:Him maximalist, me minimalist--opposites attract!

Double sinks? When I were a lad, there were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

Double sinks? When I were a lad, there were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
:)
The original Four Yorkshiremen. Written and performed by Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, and Marty Feldman and definitely pre-Python. Classic and a much appreciated reminder.

I thought about putting in double sinks when I was preparing to put my house on the market. If that's what they want, I'll give it to 'em!

But I'm pretty smart and want to get the best price I can.

So I had three sinks put in. Cha-Ching!

I thought about putting in double sinks when I was preparing to put my house on the market. If that's what they want, I'll give it to 'em!

OK...

Attachments

• 1255308335.jpg
    1255308335.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 141
  • DBCR108_Triple-Vanity_s3x4_lg.jpg
    DBCR108_Triple-Vanity_s3x4_lg.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 3
I don't get it. All the home shows on television, when the prospective owner sees the bath they invariably comment on a double sink as being desirable.
I use the bath after my husband, if I can't wait I use the spare. Am I the only one that thinks two sinks is an unneccessary element that uses up extra space?
Disagree. I love each of us having a sink in our master bathroom. We don't have to wait for each other when brushing teeth, washing hands, etc. We each have a space to put our stuff on the counter.

I know it matters to us because it's something we really miss when we are traveling in our motorhome!

Audrey

I live alone, but if buying would prefer a house with double sinks for resale. Obviously I don't need two sinks for my own usage.

As for what I like, personally, I like having plenty of counter space right next to the sink to use as a vanity area.

glippy said:

I have 3 sinks, too. The trouble is they spread out evenly in all 3 bathrooms. Having a house built for a single guy, didnt bring out any creative ideas. I should have had a lady friend check over the specs!

As for what I like, personally, I like having plenty of counter space right next to the sink to use as a vanity area.

I agree. While it was nice having 2 sinks, it is important to us to have a big "his & hers" vanity area on either side of a single sink. We rarely clash toothbrushes under the tap.

I read this thread and I remember back a few years ago we were always lecturing one another on the forum about "is it a need or a want?"

Or how gung ho many of us seemed when Jacob showed up to explain his radical take on LBYM.

My head spins.

Ha

I read this thread and I remember back a few years ago we were always lecturing one another on the forum about "is it a need or a want?"

Or how gung ho many of us seemed when Jacob showed up to explain his radical take on LBYM.

My head spins.

Ha

So, does your new condo have double sinks, or a single sink? And is it what you *want*? (not *need*, and I promise not to lecture)

Last edited:
So, does your new condo have double sinks, or a single sink? And is it what you *want* (not *need*, as you point out)?
Single sink. And it and the rest of my unit is fine also. I could find some better things about different places, but I looked long enough to realize that one needs to balance many things. I concentrated on the biggies for me. Neighborhood, easy walking access to downtown, very good access to public trans, including light rail, most everything an easy walk, plenty natural light in the flat, parking, not so old to represent maintenance problems, and a price that I felt good about. My neighbors in the unit are quiet, but not crabby oldsters. And I got a bonus- nice effective wood burning fireplace and bars/restaurants very close that I didn't know about.

This thread is the first time double sinks in the bathroom have entered my mindspace, though I am sure I must have encountered them somewhere. Square footage in central Seattle is expensive, and many middle income people probably have more pressing uses for it than large bathrooms.

Ha

Reactions: W2R
Its a convenience feature and comes from the idea of two working spouses who need to get ready for work at possibly the same time. Our Master bath has two sinks as well as the jack & jill bathroom that our kids rooms share. Also, have 1.5 bathrooms in addition to the aforemented, but when we downsize, we will certainly drop one fullsize bathroom:D

Maybe that's the reason we never used both sinks....my wife & I have never been on the same schedule, as far as getting ready for work at the same time. I've always gone to work about an hour ahead of her....

Now that I'm about to retire, and she'll still be working awhile longer, it still shouldn't be an issue that affects our lives. However, I am 100% certain that she will still insist that we need separate sinks in the master bathroom. And, I am equally certain that we will still NOT use the 2nd sink/faucets. :facepalm:

We often use our two sinks at the same time. It is convenient and nice to have. Is it worth the extra cleaning effort and plumbing maintenance? Yes.

Double sinks in a few bathrooms in a home almost 20 years old here. This is not a new standard. The sinks in the master bath are at different counter heights as well for spouses of different heights.

Furthermore, the toilets in the bathrooms are separated by a door from the sinks. The master bath actually has 6 doors that one can walk through.

Cleaning is not a problem. The maids clean the bathrooms.

I thought of this thread when I saw this article:

Kiss these 10 once-popular home features goodbye - Slide Show - MarketWatch
Luxury master bathrooms with multiple-head showers will be getting toned down in 2012. Something more practical — say, a double sink in the kitchen — is much more likely to be included in new homes this year.

OK, it's the kitchen, not the bath vanity, but still...

Well I just checked, and the DW vetoed the idea of me shaving in the kitchen sink...:(:(

During our 2010 renovate-a-thon, we actually removed a double vanity, and replaced it with two single vanities.

The old double was a contractor special, doing all the things fine veneer on particleboard cabinets do after 25 years of exposure to humidity. The two singles got us a slightly higher sink (more convenient for us), more drawers (actual working drawers, with smooth hardware and all that stuff), and a bit more functional floor plan.

Single sink. And it and the rest of my unit is fine also. I could find some better things about different places, but I looked long enough to realize that one needs to balance many things. I concentrated on the biggies for me. Neighborhood, easy walking access to downtown, very good access to public trans, including light rail, most everything an easy walk, plenty natural light in the flat, parking, not so old to represent maintenance problems, and a price that I felt good about. My neighbors in the unit are quiet, but not crabby oldsters. And I got a bonus- nice effective wood burning fireplace and bars/restaurants very close that I didn't know about.

This thread is the first time double sinks in the bathroom have entered my mindspace, though I am sure I must have encountered them somewhere. Square footage in central Seattle is expensive, and many middle income people probably have more pressing uses for it than large bathrooms.

Ha
This is an interesting trade off. Older buildings will not have the bathroom space - or much of other space as well - but the location is unbeatable and has other lifestyle advantages. I have lived in both and could not easily choose one over the other.

I am convinced that we will never be able to sell our home after reading this thread. I guess we will have to die here and then one of our kids will have to move here.

Double sinks in a few bathrooms in a home almost 20 years old here. This is not a new standard. The sinks in the master bath are at different counter heights as well for spouses of different heights.

Furthermore, the toilets in the bathrooms are separated by a door from the sinks.
As an adult I never lived in a house that didn't have a double sink in the master bathroom. I think my parent's house had it too when I was in college just before I left home. It has been around for a long time.

I admit that I was a little shocked to see double bathroom sinks in a motorhome once!

Audrey

I am convinced that we will never be able to sell our home after reading this thread. I guess we will have to die here and then one of our kids will have to move here.
We have double sinks, but......
.....we don't have granite counter tops! :eek:

Since we don't have kids and won't be able to sell the house, I guess we'll just have to burn it down. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom