What's your favorite thing about not having to go to w*rk???

panacea

Full time employment: Posting here.
As I sit here trying to catch up on work from last week so I'm less buried next week :duh:, I was thinking that the best thing about retirement for me will be that I won't have any more crazy deadlines to worry about. I'm dreaming about how great it'll be when Monday is no different than a Saturday or Sunday.

Do you have a favorite thing about not having to work? I bet it's just too difficult to narrow it down to one thing!

Exactly. Not having to work!

Not having to get up early in the morning.

+1 There's nothing better than rolling over in bed and realizing that you'd be at work if you weren't retired. Then drifting off for a few more minutes just because you can!

Actually, I can easily name a favorite thing.

I wake up pretty early most days, typically about 6 am, even though there's no need to. Then the fun begins.

I start the coffeemaker and go out to retrieve the papers. We get the local paper and Wall St. Journal delivered (by the same guy), and we have a fairly long driveway so walking out to get them gets my circulation going and also gives me a good feel for what the weather is like.

I read the local paper first, and by the time I'm finished, I've also finished my first cup of coffee. The second cup accompanies the first section of the Journal.

Then I put on my running gear and drive a couple of miles to the local park, where I put in a few miles.

Back home, I finish the Journal, along with my third cup of coffee, then it's off to the shower and I get dressed.

All that takes between 2 and 3 hours, and it's the most delightful time of the day. It's a time I wouldn't trade for anything, and is only possible as a retiree.

Calling your time your own. There are no commitments to be somewhere at a specific time several times a day. If today is a do nothing day, then that's what I do!

The lack of urgency.

+1
If I start to feel guilty about not having to go to a "formal" job of work, I remember the 35+ years of having to do so and the 23 + years of raising our children while working in high stress positions (banking, finance and family business). I still get up early to go to the local YMCA (after my 3 cups of leisurely coffee) and I "work" to enhance our lives at home. But it is not with the absolute "rush", "rush", "rush" feeling I had for so long. I often think back and wonder how I did it. I am sure we all do. Glad that part of my life is over.

Lack of stress, worry, deadlines, being able to get up in the morning when I naturally wake up, drink my three cups of coffee and waste a couple of hours on the computer before taking a shower and actually doing anything constructive.

I think my favorite thing about not going to work is the lack of stress.
When I think about "setting meaningful goals", and then having to compete with your peers for that all important "individual performance factor" all year long, it makes me feel great about being retired. It seemed like all of a sudden in the last few years, no matter how hard you worked or what you accomplished, it could have been more and the bar was always being raised.
Now I have the freedom to do what I want when I want to do it.
Enough said. :clap:

I listed several in my mind, then decided that my favorite is long holidays away, and looking forward to returning.

The most we could manage while working at any one time was usually 2 weeks, and although I was usually pretty good at enjoying it and forgetting about work, towards the end of the trip I would start thinking and worrying about the return to work and what to expect.

Nowadays we go away for weeks or months at a time. No rushing around to get things done, and by the end of a long trip we are actually looking forward to coming back.

Not having to get up early in the morning.
Not losing sleep, tossing and turning in bed, worrying about w**k stuff.
Now I sleep well, usually with vivid and colorful dreams. The next day I climb out of bed whenever the mood fits me.
As we say around here: "Everyday is Saturday."

Last edited:
...Nowadays we go away for weeks or months at a time. No rushing around to get things done, and by the end of a long trip we are actually looking forward to coming back.

That's it! That's why I enjoy my sporadic work!

That, and the ability to sleep in late, instead of leaving the house when it is still dark in the morning. Of course, except when I was traveling on assignments. I hate traveling for work for that reason.

Last edited:
Not having to wake up to an alarm clock. When I sleep very late my dog will come and sit next to the bed and wake me.

Being able to do anything I want whenever I want. Although I work a very flexible and limited schedule, work still seems to conflict with personal things that I want to do.

Lot of good thoughts here: lack of urgency, relaxed coffee and paper in the morning, feeling ready to get back home after a vacation - all priceless.

There is so much. Just to name one thing - not having to deal with rush hour traffic.

Having time to do things well.

Maintaining our house was a bother when I was working, hard to find the time so the quality of work suffered at times. Now our house looks better than ever, inside and out, and I didn't pay anyone - did the work myself.

Also only cooked things that could be done very quickly, after work. Now if I want something that takes a little more time, I do it. We're eating much better, and spending less.

I have been reading more too, really enjoy that.

Time...

Being able to plan a weekend trip or vacation without the constant threat that w*rk issues will cause a delay or cancellation....and lost deposits, cancellation fees, family grief......... :(

Not dreading phone calls at night or weekends that could be potentially the boss with some inane short fuse assignment or demands for me to head for the airport, ASAP.

I almost feel more relaxed reading all these postings... almost. Virtually every one of these is something I look forward too. Although I'm lucky to not have to fight traffic as the office is right in the suburb where I live. And my dog wakes me up about 5:30 every morning right now, but I guess that's good timing since I need to get up early anyway. I suppose by the time I retire, Leo won't be around to wake me up early anymore. Good and bad.

I just realized I used a 4 letter word in the title of this thread- sorry about my potty mouth. Still pretty new to the forum. If there is anyone out there that can edit the heading, feel free to clean up my filth.

Back
Top Bottom