What's your goto site for booking hotels in Europe?

I use various sources to FIND the hotels -- Expedia, TripAdvisor, Google Maps, travel forum recommendations, etc. Then I track down the hotel's own website for actual bookings. I prefer to book directly rather than via a third party to minimize any issues.

This is spectacular advice. You will almost always get a far better price and included things at a hotel's own website. You might find a place where you get a super low price but then pay for internet, housekeeping, shuttle, etc.

I do shop around, usually on Kayak. But I always book directly with the hotel. They almost always match any deal you find online. If not move on to the next one.

We usually start on TripAdvisor. Then you can branch off to the hotel site, or Expeedia, and so on.

We use tripadvisor as a starting place. Many of the places we book are not on a booking site. Need to book directly.

Last time in Greece we looked at seaside condo for several nights in Alykes on Zakynthos. It was listed on booking.com for 500E. We found the owner, emailed him, and did a cash deal for @250E. We were able to see the property and the condo prior to paying. Mid October...so the season was ending. We do this fairly often especially for stays of more than a few days. Italy is the same. Many small places prefer cash and will provide discounts when you book direct.

Just remember that when booking through a 3rd party vender your reservation isn't usually with the hotel itself, just the 3rd party vender. If you arrive at the hotel and your reservation is screwed up or not in their computer system, you need to deal with the wholesaler to correct the mistake, not the hotel. Not so easy when you're traveling internationally.

These poor front desk people deal with this all the time even though it's not their fault.

Just remember that when booking through a 3rd party vender your reservation isn't usually with the hotel itself, just the 3rd party vender. If you arrive at the hotel and your reservation is screwed up or not in their computer system, you need to deal with the wholesaler to correct the mistake, not the hotel. Not so easy when you're traveling internationally.

These poor front desk people deal with this all the time even though it's not their fault.
Even if you book directly with the hotel you should always check with the hotel before you travel that your reservation is good to go.

Back
Top Bottom