When semi-retirement works

Bee4

Dryer sheet aficionado
I posted on this site 18 months ago for the first time and really appreciate the integrity and positivity of responders. I offer this post to pay it forward. My sr. manager is having a semi-retirement party for me in 2 weeks. I am agreeable to this instead of full retirement. Semi-retirement works for me b/c I get to consult on special projects, on my terms - less 30 hrs/mo., using my tech knowledge in high demand in a growth industry - they get to pick my brain but have to pay me. The HR dept. just needs to know my employee status - in this case converting me from salary to hourly, and giving me a payout of my PTO. This story matters to younger careerists struggling between a hard lean in work setting vs. none. Many shades of gray exist between these extremes. Especially you younger readers, there isn't quite a crystal ball on the career track to set you up for this best of both worlds scenario but give it your best shot - what skill set might you develop that gives you bargaining power? Dip your toe into being a squeeky wheel stand out - we live in a world with immense opportunity to transform all career workforces into quality over quantity of work.

I'm not a younger worker and had thought I was going to retire by now if it hadn't been for COVID and soaring inflation, but going part time would probably be my choice as as well at this point (or maybe come next Spring) as long as I could work a 24 hour week and still maintain my good health care insurance benefits. I'm not sure how likely my employer would go for that, despite me being the only engineer that is familiar with many of the things I work with. They just talked to me last week about working extra with additional compensation, so that's going in the other direction.

Good for you, Bee4! Sounds like an ideal situation for everyone involved. Hope it works out as planned.

My company first offered me reduced hours but still salaried which didn't make sense to me because I'd still be on the hook to meet project deadlines. Then they offered to have me come in as a consultant on special projects but I'd have still been responsible to bring projects in on time. That still didn't fit in with my idea of retirement. If they'd have offered me a gig like yours where I could charge hourly for advice I probably would have taken them up on it. Not working at all is awesome but I'd have been willing to help out if I could have done it in a flexible way that didn't tie me to a schedule.

I was responsible for the strategy of my group's technology and for helping the junior engineers. But I also carried my own projects where I did the hands on design, programming, etc. I could have continued in the first part of my role but not in the second.

Last edited:
Congrats, OP. It sounds like you’re getting the best of both worlds. Stimulation and a feeling of competence doing something you know, some income, some structure, a lot of free time and keeping a handle on your career, a route to possibly going back FT should the SHTF.

I quit two years ago, cleared the decks and thought I was finished with my field. However, some consulting opportunities came along and I’m glad I said yes to them, for the reasons above.

Congrats, OP.
I quit two years ago, cleared the decks and thought I was finished with my field. However, some consulting opportunities came along and I’m glad I said yes to them, for the reasons above.

Exactly the same here.

. Many shades of gray exist between these extremes.

Indeed they do! And I admire your insight into developing a skill set and managing a career to maximize part time opportunities.

But I think it's a personal thing. For DW and I, when we decided we were done, we meant DONE. Haven't had a penny of earned income for 17 years. And, no regrets. We just wouldn't have been content still linked to schedules (regardless of flexibility) and commitments. OTOH, I have a relative my age who is leveraging skills and training from a long time gov't job to do consulting now and loves it. I get that.

You should do what works for you to maximize the pleasure of life. Sounds like you are!

That's a great arrangement.

I dropped from FT (36 hrs) to PT (24 hrs) back in November. Just last week, I dropped to per diem status so I'm essentially "retired". I now have no regularly scheduled shifts. I can pick up shifts as much or as little as I'd like (based on availability). My plan right now is to take two 4-hour shifts a week, which is what I've booked myself through mid-October which is as far as our schedule goes at this point.

Working 8 hours a week keeps me engaged, keeps my skills fresh, keeps me on top of current developments in my field, gives me the socialization as I really like most of the folks I work with, and of course it gives me the income and decreases the draw we need to take from our portfolio. I just turned 58 so that's very helpful to make sure the money lasts a good long time. And a 4-hour shift is over before I know it. It's just enough to stay connected and still have most of my time to do other things. Plus if we want to go away or do something else, I can just not take any shifts for a couple of weeks. It's great to have the flexibility.

I posted on this site 18 months ago for the first time and really appreciate the integrity and positivity of responders. I offer this post to pay it forward. My sr. manager is having a semi-retirement party for me in 2 weeks. I am agreeable to this instead of full retirement. Semi-retirement works for me b/c I get to consult on special projects, on my terms - less 30 hrs/mo., using my tech knowledge in high demand in a growth industry - they get to pick my brain but have to pay me. The HR dept. just needs to know my employee status - in this case converting me from salary to hourly, and giving me a payout of my PTO. This story matters to younger careerists struggling between a hard lean in work setting vs. none. Many shades of gray exist between these extremes. Especially you younger readers, there isn't quite a crystal ball on the career track to set you up for this best of both worlds scenario but give it your best shot - what skill set might you develop that gives you bargaining power? Dip your toe into being a squeeky wheel stand out - we live in a world with immense opportunity to transform all career workforces into quality over quantity of work.

I as well work part ime as well. Two days a week which s great.

Two years after I retired my ex-employer reached out and offered me a part time (<20hr/wk) position. I work 3 days/wk at ~5hr/day for them and that's enough for me.

Semi is a good way to downshift if you enjoy (most) of your work. I did a 2+ semi plan and went full Monty earlier this year. Worked great in my case. I suspect it will help you land the plane smoothly...

I have to admit, the idea of a part time, brain picking gig sounds pretty good as it leverages what is likely the "most rewarding" part of your job w/o all the crap. My guess is you get to do what you are best at, enjoy the most, and interact with people in a rewarding way....all while getting paid a more lucrative hourly wage than any "I'll just work at Home Depot" type of job. Well done!

The only thing that might have made it even better would perhaps be if it was a consulting gig....where contracts could come and go (i.e. I'd like to take a month off between contracts, etc.). Of course the latter forces you to deal with a third party consulting firm in most cases and has its own drawbacks.

Back
Top Bottom