Where and how do you get your news?

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After reading the thread about Vanguard execs being interviewed on Fox Business News and the resulting comments (disdain) about Fox, got me to wondering about where do most of you get your news, besides of course the internet.

Myself, I like Imus in the Morning, CNN, NBC Nightly News, Charlie Rose interviews on Bloomberg and then to put everything into a proper perspective, I watch the Daily and Colbert Shows.

I do like to catch Meet the Press on Sunday morning even though I think David Gregory is pretty much a blathering idiot. Don't really care for many of the talking heads on either CNBC or Fox for the matter either.

I can't stand any host the asks a question and then rudely interrupts when he doesn't care for the direction of the answer.

We may have 24 hour news, put it takes a fine tooth comb to find much objectivity and unbiased reporting.

Just my dos centavos !

What say you ?

Bloomberg, Reuters and CNBC online. Hardcopy Economist. On rare occasion, I read the local paper. I don't watch TV

We've subscribed to the Washington Post for about 30 years. In addition, we listen to WTOP, a local news radio station and watch a variety of local and cable news programs on TV.

Sometimes I think are too many sources for news and stories are blown up to fill up space on all the cable, radio, internet and print news outlets.

I'll miss the Post when it goes by the wayside like other newspapers. Nothing like spreading out the paper on a Sunday morning and pondering the news stories over that first cup of coffee.

Online (daily): CNN, Bloomberg, CNBC, BBC
Print (occasionally): The Economist, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today
TV: I stopped watching news programs on TV a couple of years ago. I used to be a news junkie but I can't stand it anymore.

No cable TV, I get my new from whatever's on ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS. I particularly like PBS News Hour and BBC World News.

I listen to NPR and read our local newspaper. It seems that most of the news broadcasting has an agenda, and I don't like the hype and hysteria. The news appears to be slanted, depending upon who is the sponsor. Besides, we don't have a TV:cool:

Comcast.net and various online sources plus John Stewart (news with the irreverence it deserves) almost daily,

occasionally network TV (mostly pandering to politicos and celebrities extremes) and various magazines.

Rarely newspapers anymore.

Mostly here and the Onion.

Perfect! :D

No TV in the house. So awesome to never hear the noise.

I read WSJ, Economist, and various stuff we get at the office hardcopy, but I also read WSJ online for the blogs. NPR podcasts plus six or eight other regular podcasts.

I have RSS feeds for news from Fox, CNN, MSNBC, as well as Freakonomics and Thomas Stanley's blogs. Subscribe to local newspaper.

And of course, the Onion.

I just blocked FOX news on our TVs. All it did was make me mad and that is from a life long independent that has usually voted Rep.

News sources are online MSN, Yahoo, Wall St Journal, Washington Post and CNN. TV news sources now CNN, PBS, etc when I can watch them. Mostly use online.

I get my news from a variety of viewpoints, from the TV and internet news websites. I try to balance my sources between right wing, left wing, moderate, libertarian, and so on, so that I can hear what everybody has to say (although I do avoid one or two right wing and one or two left wing TV shows that I find annoying, but listen to other shows on those channels later, instead). This way I get a variety of input and opinions to ponder, so that I can decide what I think for myself. I purposely include international sources as well, but should probably expose myself to more of them than I do.

I don't get a newspaper or magazines, although I read online from my local newspaper's website.

Guess that about covers it.

Last edited:
The local paper, and a variety of podcasts, mostly business and economic related. (The Economist has some excellent podcasts.) The Wall Street Journal This Morning podcast is a sort of daily news wrapup, with a slight economic slant. Google news is handy for keeping track of stories.

I'll occasionally catch a guest on CNBC I'm interested in, or tune in CSPAN for some speeches of interest. There are a couple of commentators on basic cable that I find interesting, even though I don't always agree with them. (Charles Krauthammer is more thoughtful than most, although the newsreaders feeding him questions are annoying, as in "Why should we be afraid of... ?") I generally don't go out of my way to see them, though.

NPR has some excellent podcasts, including both news and some fun economics stuff. Planet Money is a great economics-light podcast.

The podcasts are handy because I can listen to them while doing houshold chores, gardening, or monkeywrenching on the cars.

I get my news online. Apps of my favourite newspapers are on my Blackberry and I have a whole folder full of news media sites on my Favourites tab. I never liked reading newspapers because of the inkstains.

Interesting article from the Economist on the iPad's impact on print media.

Print on the iPad: A smashing success | The Economist

85 percent from conservative AM radio talk shows. 15 percent from liberal NPR on FM.

I was surprised to find that NPR was EXCELLENT on reporting about the real estate bubble, years ago, before it happened. They saw it coming. They were even critical of the social engineering ( giving deadbeats big mortgages and putting the default risk on the taxpayer) .

NPR went way in depth on this, looking at it from all angles. I was very impressed.

The conservative AM stations were also warning of the impending real estate collapse, in 15 minute segments every couple of weeks or so.

The internet (start with Yahoo) and the local paper. I don't watch the news anymore. Haven't for years. When I finally get home, the TV is on baseball or Project Runway. Which is why I am here now.

The spoken word carries so much emotion and moves so quickly I can't think fast enough to investigate it's validity. I like my news written in almost any form (internet, mags, newspapers, books). Gives me a minute to think about it and see if it's news or fluff trying to evoke a response intended to play on my natural prejudices.

I like Thom Hartman on Free Speech TV. Also Link TV, Amy Goodman. I enjoy Rachael Maddow and Chris Mathews on MSNBC. My all time favorite show besides Bill Maher, was
Bill Moyer's Journal. He had some wonderful in depth segments on his show. Hear he may be coming back.

I went to a friends house this weekend and he actually had a newspaper there. I hadn't seen or read one in about 10 years. Any info I need I get from TV news or the internet.

In addition to the internet, I listen to a libertarian/tea party talk show on am radio with morning coffee. At night, I listen to the last 1/2 hour of local news (mostly for the weather) then watch "mom" on ABC news then PBS News Hour. Late night, I watch Charlie Rose. I try to get various slants on the days major topics.

Print sources: Washington Post on Sundays but mostly Internet sites like the Post's, CNN, BBC, and a handful of others.

Television: PBS Newshour a few times a week and 60 Minutes when it's not in re-runs. We don't have cable but I can pick up an ongoing Japanese news program (in English) - NHK. Japan-centric, of course, but interesting.

I get most of my news via podcast, which I can listen to while standing up in a crowded subway train. Daily podcast summary from the NY Times and the half-dozen or so weekly podcasts from the Economist (highly recommended - and free). I also listen to a daily podcast of Taiwan news.

I pretty much dropped out of the news sources when I started watching Spanish language television and I couldn't be happier. It's wonderful not being exposed to national news. I occasionally watch local news on TV, usually because I'm watching out for weather forecasts. I also watch the weather channel occasionally.

Audrey

CNN, Bloomberg, CNBC, BBC, Market Watch.com, and lots of blogs

Back
Top Bottom