Where did all the excitement go?

I am encouraged by the record market breadth and the cash on sidelines and moving out of equities.

Not sure I follow this. Did you mean cash on sidelines that is available to move INTO equities?

Sure. That’s my method. Each year I harvest (take out) as much as my portfolio will allow according to my model. I’m still only withdrawing 3% of my retirement portfolio each year which is probably too modest.

It usually doesn’t involve much selling in taxable because I take all my distributions in cash. But I still have to rebalance afterwards and that usually involves some selling and buying anyway. I maintain a target AA for my retirement portfolio.

I’m glad we have extra recently, we have some serious BTDs hoped for this year.
I had to stop and ponder what BTD's were for a moment....I then realized that Robbie B was part of the conversation and all became clear. Perhaps the mods should add BTD to the anacronym thread.

I am always looking for the right formula to satisfy the greed/fear in me. The current idea is (1) set a max equity allocation and rebalance when it goes ~1% above max, (2) at some point reduce equities down by 10% to 20%. If there is a better way go ahead and post it here but note I am not a pure Boglehead ;) .

It is not easy to enjoy prosperity which is here right now for us. There is always that looking over the shoulder. There is always that memory of 2008. :hide:

I too am using a 1% rebalancing band as I would kick myself if I was above my stated stock asset allocation when the market decides to drop. I'm also reducing my AA a tiny bit each month that we hit a new high. I don't want to leave the party early, but I'm inching toward the door.

Classic "Buy the rumor, sell the news" activity, no?

I was more commenting on a "I'm getting rich rich rich" thread. However, whenever there is a gap up and slow decline (as was seen with Apple earnings news), I get wary.

I've commented for quite a while now (on various threads) that the thing that worries me most in terms of my financial well being is my fear of inflation. I've just had a 6 figure CD mature (3.25%) with more maturing in the next few months, and I am not planning on tying them up in fixed rate instruments.

Where I will invest the matured CD's is the big unknown. Over the past couple of years I have upped my precious metals investments, and some of it may go there. I may use some of it to invest in land or stock market land/food proxies. But overall, I'm not sure what to do with it. Perhaps I should just use some of it and buy canned food. :eek:

I do not know what to make of this market. I am both happy yet leery at the same time, but I am not feeling excited . For me it's a mix of emotions.

Yup. This ^^^.

I think it makes a difference how long ago you retired. I retired right into the Covid shutdown, and all I hear echoing in my mind is "sequence of returns risk" ...

Signed,
The "Other Shoe" Post Originator :cool:

Yup. This ^^^.

I think it makes a difference how long ago you retired. I retired right into the Covid shutdown, and all I hear echoing in my mind is "sequence of returns risk" ...

Signed,
The "Other Shoe" Post Originator :cool:

Almost 16 years in so I tend to take most things in stride. Of course, starting with 30% equities gives me a little room to expand before worrying too much. YMMV

I do not know what to make of this market. I am both happy yet leery at the same time, but I am not feeling excited . For me it's a mix of emotions.

Agree. And then I remember, I’ve been investing for 28 years and I don’t ever remember any time without mixed emotions about the markets.

Back
Top Bottom