Where Did You Not Retire To?

We did not retire to Hawaii simply because of the cost of reasonable housing. Everything else we have no issues with.

Curious what stopped you? We have lived in Mexico since 2010, retired here to the beach early.

We retired in 2017 and at that time my father started to need some home care.
Thus we started discussing the possible need to have my brother live with us full time, as he has the highest level functioning autism.
Well he ended up with us in Dec 2018 and we would not have been comfortable with him in Mexico.
He wouldn't pick up Spanish, wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him alone for a few days short trips, social life for him, etc.

We thought the same a Dtail, but have not really pulled the trigger either. My main concern is healthcare as it is difficult to get good insurance when over 65. I have health issues that need access to a good cardiologist. The affluent counties in Florida have outstanding healthcare, especially where we are.

BTW, are you in NV. We like it there too. Love the Marina district and the Bay of Banderas.

Related to the above, my DGF has a decent number of medical issues and we also live in FLA, but on the west side.
The medical support here is excellent and even though she has Medicare Advantage, every doctor here who we wanted, accepted her plan.
This is in addition to my other response.

We were going to retire in Lake Wylie, SC. It is a large lake 20 min outside of Charlotte NC. We live in CT so we thought SC was a good compromise as I don't like the cold and my husband can't tolerate high temps.

The worst financial decision I ever made was buying a condo there and renting it out as a long term rental. It was hard to find a good property manager and I ended up with a tenant that I specifically told the manager not to rent to. It was a nightmare and I ended up selling it for less than I paid for it. I soured on the area due to the experience of dealing with males who seemed condescending to women. Probably irrational but that is where I am it.
No you’re not irrational. Depending on which part of the country you live, that’s a real thing dealing with certain males.
That’s not characteristic or unique to SC or the Charlotte metro area. You can run into that anywhere, including CT. And the Charlotte metro area probably has fewer NC/SC natives than transplants anyway. While we’re making sweeping generalizations, New Yorkers/New Englanders often stick out like a sore thumb in NC/SC - and not in a good way.

Last edited:
Related to the above, my DGF has a decent number of medical issues and we also live in FLA, but on the west side.
The medical support here is excellent and even though she has Medicare Advantage, every doctor here who we wanted, accepted her plan.
This is in addition to my other response.

Glad to hear. Same for us on the East side. We could not ask nor better healthcare options and competency. I have a Medicare Supplement and DW has ACA.

That’s not characteristic or unique to SC or the Charlotte metro area. You can run into that anywhere, including CT. And the Charlotte metro area probably has fewer NC/SC natives than transplants anyway. While we’re making sweeping generalizations, New Yorkers/New Englanders often stick out like a sore thumb in NC/SC - and not in a good way.

I must admit that I am aware when meeting new people/playing pickleball, not to come across as being aggressive in nature related to the NY area reputation.
However as far as male "jerks", I have found more that characteristic in some blue collar areas as well as the very upper crust wealthier areas, although can't state that I see it all that frequently anywhere.

Baltimore. Used to w*rk next to North Ave.

Moved three mountain ranges west of the Washimore corridor.

Having lived in RI and NH, we decided to try out a warmer climate and moved to Las Vegas for 2 years while we were both still working. We ruled that out as a retirement possibility and decided to return to the east coast. We spent 6 years in Raleigh, NC and then moved (work related) to a small college town west of Atlanta, GA. In 2018 we bought a house on a small lake in our community. DH and I are both now retired. Our kids live in Chicago and NY City, but we have no desire to live in a big city. We're happy to travel to visit them several times a year and have a place they can bring the grandkids in the summer to enjoy lake time.

We did not retire to Hawaii simply because of the cost of reasonable housing. Everything else we have no issues with.

Yes, housing is a killer in HI - and getting worse. One possible way to deal with housing is to rent. Rents are proportionately much lower than buying. Based on our building, rent is on the order of 0.35% to 0.40% of value/month. "Traditional" formulae suggest closer to 1%/month. AND the owner has to pay the HOA dues which is a third of the rent. Renting is also good as we don't know anyone who has moved to Hawaii after us and stayed. Reasons are all over the place (empl*yment opportunity, cost, culture shock, distance from kids/GS, etc.). If, as you say, you're okay with all these, renting might just work for you. Very much a YMMV situation.

After living in a few different states, we settled in CT, mainly because it is where DW is from and still have family here. I’m originally from Central NJ and still have friends there, but parents have moved to State College, PA and love it. We were looking at FL, TN, SC & NC, but It is setting in, that this is more of a pipe dream and not a reality. We don’t have kids we need to live by, FL is just too hot for DW and everything is already close & convenient to where we are now. The Winters have been pretty mild and CT is a beautiful state. The houses we have seen on Realtor sites don’t compare to what we have now and don’t even start on the prices. Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener.

Back
Top Bottom