Where Do You Get Cash? I’m confused...

I wish the little old ladies at the checkout, who open their purse, search for their coin purse, get out a handful of change and start counting nickels, dimes and pennies, would go away

Just wait, they will.

I go inside and see a teller at my credit union to get cash.
I can't believe so many on ER use no cash, the cash economy is alive and well in my neck of the woods.
So who do I pay in cash you might ask?
1) Lawn guy.
2) Auto mechanic.
3) Many small job contractors.
4) Dog groomer.
All of the above give about a 10% discount for cash.
5) Barber, no discount for cash but do so anyway.
6) Slip the garbage man a few bucks and they will take anything I put out.

Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could come up with a few more if I really thought about it.

We lent our son money to pay off his car loan and he pays us back monthly in cash. Prior to him owing us money, I would either get it at grocery store or at the bank.

We usually charge most everything. My hairdresser charges 10 percent less, if paid in cash, so I use cash. We also use cash when we cruise for tips. We also like to carry extra cash when we are on a vacation, just in case there is a problem with credit cards. We usually bring most of it back home with us though.

So who do I pay in cash you might ask?
1) Lawn guy. Mow our lawn and our neighbors’. They pay us $10/week via Venmo.
2) Auto mechanic. Plastic
3) Many small job contractors. Venmo, Square, e-check
4) Dog groomer. I am a cat guy
5) Barber Venmo
6) Slip the garbage man a few bucks and they will take anything I put out. City employees. I would never think of bribing them.
No cash for me.

I'll take 3 lbs of bananas at 39 cents/lb if you throw in a head of lettuce

I’m still surprised at how little cash most here seem to be using. In another article I read cash was used for 85% of transactions worldwide, 40% in the US.

Perhaps because so many of those 85% of worldwide transactions involve haggling, whereas most transactions stateside do not. The price is marked and you either accept it or forgo the purchase. (Yeah, there are exceptions, but they are infrequent.)

But in developing countries everything you buy might be haggled. And there it's much easier to exchange cash instead of inserting a chip card.

Oh, and I get cash from the credit union ATM. If someone is bringing your food or cutting your hair, it's a good idea to tip bountifully and in cash.

Last edited:
I’m still surprised at how little cash most here seem to be using. In another article I read cash was used for 85% of transactions worldwide, 40% in the US.

This group is not necessarily representative. Here are two extremes.

1. Until recently my daughter was paid in cash because she didn't have a bank account. So she mostly spent using cash. She recently did get a bank account but she still tends to use a lot of cash.

2. My late mother who died at 94 used a lot of cash. She didn't have a debit card and rarely used a credit card. She would withdraw cash at the bank each month and would use it for a lot of purchases (otherwise would write a check or do automatic payment for some bills).

Anyway, where have I gotten cash the last few years: my daughter paid me her share of the phone bill in cash once, I received cash for a Christmas gift, cash from selling some items at a garage sale, cash refund at store where the original amount was charged to credit card and a small refund was made in cash. Occasionally we do withdraw money from either ATM or bank withdrawal. The latter is done if we have to go into the bank and do something else with the teller.

Things we use cash for: valet parking, lottery tickets, some service people for small services, gifts

Think I used an ATM to make some check deposits several years back - don't know that I ever pulled money from one. We get small checks mailed to us every couple months from a laundry service running some coin-op machines at an apartment complex. Had a small loan, paid off a couple months ago, that was sending $315/month which we cashed at the bank. Sold about a thousand dollars worth of clay, cast iron, kayak and bicycle on Craigslist for cash last summer.. Seems like there is more cash or cash-able checks coming in than going out.

In a recent thread, many/most replies said they hoped cash never goes away, at least for smaller purchases. Many went on to say they only used credit cards for purchases above $20 or thereabouts.

Then today there’s a thread where many/most say they don’t use their ATM cards often.

:confused:

So where are you (even limited) cash users getting your cash if not at an ATM? Bank walk in? Cash back with (grocery) purchases? Larger bank withdrawals for a cash stash at home?

DW and I usually use a nearby ATM to take out $40/week each for “allowance” to buy all sorts of small incidental purchases (lunch, snacks, 1-2 items at grocery, etc.).

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/how-long-before-cash-is-obsolete-102245.html

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/is-paper-really-that-expensive-102307.html
mostly cash back with groceries when we're on the road and at our bank ATM when we're home. quite simple, really.

Last edited:
Well, what do you and your wife use cash for?

This group is often very different than the general population.

OK, I remembered in the OP where you said
DW and I usually use a nearby ATM to take out $40/week each for “allowance” to buy all sorts of small incidental purchases (lunch, snacks, 1-2 items at grocery, etc.).
I will go over two months before pulling a twenty out of my wallet, and that’s usually to break up for smaller bills which take a long time to use up. DH no more and maybe even less.

Plastic rules. We don’t eat out much but all meals and groceries go on credit cards, no matter how small. I’m sure the 3% and 6% cc rewards trained us, but I also find it convenient. Even a bottle of water at an airport - it’s more convenient to use ApplePay. Especially if you are trying to avoid hand contact. And I hate dealing with coin change.

So tips for hairdressers - which may still end up on the credit card if I don’t have small bills - is the most common use. And that’s not much as we go less than once a month. Usually we’re carrying some USD “just in case” and it takes forever to spend it.

Other than paying for vehicle inspection and hair cutter tips, I can’t think of anything I’ve paid cash for in a long time......

Rarely write checks either......

Last edited:
I go inside my CU for a couple of hundred dollars in 20s that I put in my dresser and draw from that until the next time. Bills are paid electronically, CC used for gas, Costco, and online purchases, Cash for eating out and small purchases.
We have a Debit card that is only used at ATMs when traveling and it is linked to a separate account with limited money in it. If the card gets stolen or hacked the loss will be minimal.

Cheers!

Well, what do you and your wife use cash for?

This group is often very different than the general population.
Buying quick breakfast or lunch when away from home, weekly $5 golf league ante, occasional coffee, soft drink or ice cream shop, tip jars, buying 1-2 small items at grocery store, almost anything under $10-15. We use credit cards a lot, but why expose our CC info for every little purchase? YMMV

That’s said, if society/stores go cashless (as some seem to be), that’s fine.

Last edited:
Cash doesn't get used much for us. When I retired in January of 2017 I had about $400 in cash in my wallet. Just looked and right now I am down to $280. So, only about $40 a year in actual cash expenditures.

We rarely use cash. We'll stop at an ATM every 2 or 3 months and grab $300.

I've been carrying around the same $20 bill for at least 6 weeks.

Use cash at local mom & pop restaurants, all tips, buying/selling collectibles, the $20 slipped to friends' kids in college when we see them, lunch at work cafeteria, paying the local handyman (who is about 1/3 the cost of what a business would charge) and the neighbor's kid when he clears the driveway. We have a free ATM in our office building so grabbing some cash is painless.

Have never used an atm.
I have a set amount in a home safe for emergencies, discount opportunities (Oh, you’ll reduce the price if I pay cash instead of charge, sure). Usually keep $60-$100 in my wallet & restock when needed from those funds.

Buying quick breakfast or lunch when away from home, weekly $5 golf league ante, occasional coffee, soft drink or ice cream shop, tip jars, buying 1-2 small items at grocery store, almost anything under $10-15. We use credit cards a lot, but why expose our CC info for every little purchase? YMMV

That’s said, if society/stores go cashless (as some seem to be), that’s fine.

I don’t worry much about retail CC exposure. Almost all terminals read chips now and I put in the card myself. More and more terminals take ApplePay which is even more secure. And I always have backup credit cards.

I worry about online CC exposure more and generally use PayPal or ApplePay online except for a few long-time trusted vendors.

US Restaurants are still the worst in terms of taking your credit card away from you to initiate the transaction. Annoys me to no end.

Just got the Costco CC cash rewards coupon email and it is substantial! Well, I already knew the amount, but forgot and I think we already have lots of cash at home.

Hmmm, I may just have to deposit most of it at our bank - fortunately there is a branch across the parking lot from Costco.

Looks like we are outliers.

I get $200 about 2-3 times a month from the bank ATM.
My techphobic DW gets $400 per month from the teller.

That's almost 10% of out total spending.

This topic seems ripe for a poll. "Dollars of cash expenditures in the typical month" with options for singles and couples.

I keep $500 cash in the house and refill my wallet from that. I keep $100 or so in my wallet, though it seems to last months these days. One grocery store where I shop occasionally does not take credit cards, so I use cash there. I only use my debit card at my credit union's ATM to get cash, never use it in stores. Which is why I need a little cash on hand.

I get cash whenever I need some by picking it off the money tree in our backyard.

I’ve been fortunate to have local poker games as my backyard money tree.

Haven’t used an ATM since early 1970’s when in college.

Often negotiate better price when paying with cash, especially on home repair stuff.

I have been to an ATM once in the past 5 years. I use Discover at Sam's, Walmart, or the grocery store and get $50 - $60 cash on average twice a month. If we get a birthday or anniversary gift check, we usually take some in cash. We primarily use the cash for tips and inexpensive lunches and we spent $20 on girl scout cookies this week.

How does that discover cash work just take the cash st the grocer via the terminal and then pay the bill off? I was always wondering if this is the last thing to keep me from inconveniently going to an arm I might just use discover at the grocer.

I go once a month to the ATM and get out $100 or $200.I use it for tips nail services , and my grandsons get cards with $20 every holiday even phony ones .

How does that discover cash work just take the cash st the grocer via the terminal and then pay the bill off? I was always wondering if this is the last thing to keep me from inconveniently going to an arm I might just use discover at the grocer.
yup. many retailers offer cash back ($20/$40/$60/$Other);at checkout. say the total amount bought is $40 and i select $60 cash back the Discover statement will show a $100 transaction. no interest, no fees.

About a year ago I discovered I can walk into most banks (I have done this at Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank of America-none of which I have an account at), present my ID and Schwab checking account debit card, and ask for a "cash advance". The teller will graciously dispense this to me in any denominations I like. No fee charged by either the bank or Schwab. Some banks put a limit on amount dispensed to a non-customer. At Wells Fargo it's $1000. This has become my preferred method of getting cash.

yup. many retailers offer cash back ($20/$40/$60/$Other);at checkout. say the total amount bought is $40 and i select $60 cash back the Discover statement will show a $100 transaction. no interest, no fees.

Yes, just select how the amount of cash back and make sure the cashier or machine gives you the cash. You do not earn the Discover points for the amount of the cash back, just for the actual purchase. Then you pay it off just like the regular charges.

Back
Top Bottom