Where to Live in Seattle or Portland Area?

NomDeER

Recycles dryer sheets
I am considering a move to the Pacific Northwest.

I am looking at the Seattle and Portland areas, largely because I want access to the good health care, airports, and cultural opportunities that come with the cities and also because I want access to good walking and hiking.

I am planning a trip to explore both areas in order to try to come up with a manageable list of places to more seriously consider. I would love suggestions for cities, towns, and neighborhoods to explore.

I probably would be living in a suburb. Since I won't be working (or would just be working part-time remotely from home), I'm not particularly concerned about a long commute. But, I do want access to the city and don't want to live in a rural area.

I will be renting an apartment. A major priority will be to be very close to walking trails. By very close, I mean walking distance. So, an apartment complex by a park that has safe walking trails would be ideal.

Also, as a single woman, safety is a factor.

I am looking for a place where a former professional would not be out of place but am not looking for country club and high-end luxury living.

Does anyone have suggestions for particular cities, towns, and neighborhoods?

Also, I am trying to get a sense of the varying costs between the Portland area and the Seattle area. I know that houses are more expensive in the Seattle area, but is that true of rents and other costs of living? I have assumed that Seattle would be more expensive, but I'm not sure that is really the case for renters who will be paying some income taxes. (I will be living off of investments, do not have large amounts in a Roth IRA, and am not close to taking Social Security.)

Thanks for any suggestions or insight!

Our son and his family live in Issaquah Highlands. It’s a wonderful area, around 25 miles due east of Seattle. That east/west drive is less congested than north/south commutes into the city. The Highlands area is very pedestrian, with lots of parks and open spaces. The major obstacle is what you might expect - housing costs. It’s very expensive.

My son and his family left Renton, Washington, just outside of Seattle, because the apartment rents were skyrocketing and crime was getting bad in the city. Do some research before you go.

ETA: They moved to Pennsylvania and love it.

We live on 7 acres in east Redmond. About 15 min into Seattle via 520, about 45 minutes to Snoqualmie Pass (ski, hike, bike). About 15 minutes to each of three major Hospital centers with excellent docs. 15 minutes to Woodinville wine country. 10 minutes to Duvall down the hill. Three great biking trails over 40 miles long, within riding distance. 30 minutes to the airport. About 90 minutes to awesome eastern Washington sites like Lake Chelan, Cle Elum area mountains streams and hikes up top. Seattle has a lot to offer with theater from 5th Ave and the ACT, as well as other venues. I like Costco, 2 miles downhill for us, and groceries both within 2 miles from our home. Redmond city has lots of Microsoft build up, but shopping and dining is pretty good along with lots of apartments.

With one exception, taxes are OK. If you have high capital gains, the state found it legal to make an income tax for the rich, despite law against it. So, specific capital gains >250K/yr is taxed. if you are living off of investments, make certain you can qualify for exemptions, or take no more than the non-taxable income limit.

We like it here. There is a 55 plus development near us on the golf course at Redmond Ridge called Trilogy. I would even consider it, but we have a great log home and a horse.

I am biased, as I grew up in north Seattle. I have been to most countries in the world and this is home for good reason.

Also, I am trying to get a sense of the varying costs between the Portland area and the Seattle area. I know that houses are more expensive in the Seattle area, but is that true of rents and other costs of living? I have assumed that Seattle would be more expensive, but I'm not sure that is really the case for renters who will be paying some income taxes. (I will be living off of investments, do not have large amounts in a Roth IRA, and am not close to taking Social Security.)

Thanks for any suggestions or insight!

While it is true that rents are going up and high, there are recent laws restricting the increases or limiting based on notice periods. We own a few rentals. One home in Monroe (about 30 minutes from our home) rents for $2000 (should be higher) it is a 1912 sears and rohbuck, nice roof in downtown 4 bedroom, 1 bath with fenced yard. In our area, rents can be $2500 for an apartment in Redmond pending taste. Considering tax, Portland would be high due to income tax. Our sales tax here is generally 10.1%, but 8.7% in parts you need to know. Utilities are fairly well priced due to hydro and gas.

The thing about real estate tax is that the renter is going to pay it anyway if the landlord can get by the increase limits. But in Oregon, you get to pay the income tax with no sales tax, so hard to know if you spend your income it could be push. If you net save your income, then avoiding Oregon is best.

I live in a nice neighborhood in NE Seattle about a mile north of UW and a mile west of Lake Washington. I5 and the north/south light rail line is a mile east. Very walkable / bikeable with good restaurants and amenities in the area.

Ravenna park is here with some nice in-city trails and the Burke Gilman trail on the west side of the lake runs from Bothell to Ballard. Thornton Creek has been restored with pockets of forest that are fun to explore. Magnuson park nearby on Lake Washington has good beach access and a number of trails and a restored wetland with trails running south to Husky Stadium.

Unfortunately housing is very expensive although the market is correcting a bit from what I hear. There is some homeless presence in some of the parks and green spaces but I've never had any problems with crime and these folks are friendly for the most part despite their troubles.

Some other places of interest farther afield that might interest you:

Bothell / Woodinville
North Bend
Wenatchee
Bellingham
Spokane (2nd largest metro on the east side of the state)

WA is a gem! If you can swing it, I think you'll be very happy here.

Last edited:
Suggest you also check out Vancouver WA--across the river from Portland. Decent size city (approx 200k) with major healthcare centers across the river in PDX. Enjoy the benefits of no income tax in WA and no sales tax in Oregon. Avoid the crazys in downtown PDX and SEA both with large homeless populations.

Consider Olympia, WA

Let me recommend Olympia, WA on South Puget Sound.
This state capital is a lovely small city with vibrant, walkable downtown, urban apartments as well as suburban. Great arts, theater, farmer’s market communities. Abundant outdoor life, trails, parks. Within reach of Olympic and Mount Rainier National Parks, state parks, less than an hour to Pacific Ocean towns.
One hour south of Seattle, one hour-forty minutes to Portland.
Take a look.

I've lived in both Portland and Seattle, where I reside now. Portland has changed a lot since I lived there, but on my visits I still see remnants of its old charm (once you get out of downtown, which is no longer charming).

Portland has always been less expensive than Seattle, although the gap has narrowed. In Seattle, rents are skyrocketing.

My personal opinion: People are noticeably nicer in Portland.:hide:

Depending on the source, Washington is said to be better tax-wise for retirees than Oregon or they're just about tied. Here's one source, SmartAsset.

In either place, you'll have to feel comfortable with the Northwest weather. Yes, winters and summers are relatively mild, but there are long periods of overcast/rainy weather in the fall, the winter and part of the spring. I've known people who found it depressing and moved back to California. Seattle and Portland would be a lot more overpopulated if the skies were clearer!

If my personal circumstances were different, I'd be in Portland.

Interesting thread as we are also researching these areas. We find the Phoenix heat less tolerable as we get older. Also the sun is so intense here even in the winter it tends to sting if in it for more than 15 minutes. We also miss the greenery of SF Bay area we grew up in
Spouse has vitiligo so thinking a place with less sunny days might be a good thing.

Are there places to avoid due to drought or climate change up there?
Best place you can buy a single family home for 300k to 400k?
How are property taxes and insurance cost?
Best place for three season weather? If one is looking to avoid snow?
OP hope you don't mind me asking more questions here. I figured they might help us both. Have you watched any YouTube videos on relocation to Washington and Oregon? Lots of good information there too.

Last edited:
I've lived in WA all my life. The first 20 in central WA and the rest on the plateau to the west of Mount Rainier, out in the country.
1)Western Washington gets plenty of rain and you'll not see the effects of drought as much there. Do pay attention to domestic water issues anywhere you go.
central and eastern WA are dry to begin with, so any drought scenarios will be amplified.
2)Someone suggested Olympia above and that is a nice city and location. There are many others that are similarly priced.
3)Each county has its own tax rates and systems. If you are close enough to Seattle proper, you will be subject to Sound Transit's 1.4% sales tax, for example. Property taxes in Pierce County have taken off. I can't say anything about others.
4) Snow happens in every corner of the state. How long it stays depends on how low an elevation you are at, for a large part, and how much snow is often dependent on specific local conditions. Olympia is not bad, Kitsap county gets this wrap around snow from the Olympic mountains shadow effect, Everett has quite a bit of weather due to the convergence zone from those Olympic mountains. Bellingham up north gets these big cold outflows from the Frazier River valley and gets wicked cold and windy for weeks at a time, it seems.
Anywhere east on the plateaus and foothills of the Cascades will have more and longer lasting snow. Closer to the water the temperatures are generally warmer and snow will melt off those areas sooner. Parking is recommended if you are in the hilly areas when the snow and ice arrive :)

Some things to consider when comparing Portland and Seattle.

The weather is a little different. Yes it rains. There is more rain precipitation in Portland than in Seattle. Seattle can stay overcast a lot longer than Portland. Portland also gets freezing rain - which is not sleet - and it makes the roads treacherous.

Both places have hills. When there is freezing rain, or sleet/snow, those hills are a challenge to drive.

Both have good/reasonably good public transportation (it was better before Covid).

Taxation differences have been mentioned.

I live in King County, where Seattle is located. Taxes in King County drive costs which affects rents, food costs, etc. It is expensive to own a place in King County becuase of property taxes. You'll need to research Multnomah County (Portland).

There is no more beautiful part of the world than these major cities on the west coast: beautiful views, great parks and public spaces, lots of cultural events, and museums.

- Rita

Washington has four dark, cold, damp months Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. By late December there are only about 8 1/2 hours of daylight.

Western WA has a long meteorological Spring time. It usually starts the beginning of March and goes through early July. Summer is short but very sweet. By September Fall is already coming through, though this year is that one in ten years where Fall temperatures are abnormally high. I am enjoying that a lot. Show sometimes shows up for a day or two in the Winter, and in other Winters it will be 2-3 weeks of snow. The area is full of hills. Hills plus snow mean a lot of people stay home.

Water is not a problem in Western WA this year. But, we rely very much on the mountain snow pack to store water for Summer and early Fall. When the winter weather dries up, there is no huge reservoir capacity to fall back on. FWIW, last Spring was a very very wet Spring and the current snowpack is ample. Currently, this Fall is very, very dry. We have had water rationing and cutbacks in the past. And it probably will happen again. Nothing like California or the South West. Global warming predictions (for what they are worth) seem to show long-term droughts won't be a big issue in the future, if we build additional reservoir capacity to catch runoff from the rainfall that will replace the snowfall in the mountains.

FYI, no new ICE cars can be sold in WA starting in 2030. Presumably, one can still sell a used ICE car, trade it in, etc.

In regards to taxes, be warned.... They are going up big-time in WA state.

We now have our first income tax on capital gains, though the politicians call it an excise tax to get around the state Constitution. It's legitimacy will soon be decided by the state Supreme Court. If it gets the OK from the court that will open the door to an income tax on wages, interest, business profits, etc. Some supporters of the current 'excise' tax have made it clear they want an broad based income tax.

There is also a carbon tax starting in 2023 which will raise fuel prices including gasoline. If you live near Seattle you may have to pay a higher sales tax, car tabs, and property tax to fund Sound Transit's expansion plans.

Last edited:
I've lived in both Portland and Seattle, where I reside now. Portland has changed a lot since I lived there, but on my visits I still see remnants of its old charm (once you get out of downtown, which is no longer charming).

Portland has always been less expensive than Seattle, although the gap has narrowed. In Seattle, rents are skyrocketing.

My personal opinion: People are noticeably nicer in Portland.:hide:

Depending on the source, Washington is said to be better tax-wise for retirees than Oregon or they're just about tied. Here's one source, SmartAsset.

In either place, you'll have to feel comfortable with the Northwest weather. Yes, winters and summers are relatively mild, but there are long periods of overcast/rainy weather in the fall, the winter and part of the spring. I've known people who found it depressing and moved back to California. Seattle and Portland would be a lot more overpopulated if the skies were clearer!

+
Avoid downtown Portland. Most suburbs will have what you are looking for, the whole Portland area has tons of biking lanes, parks, trails, etc. Good light rail/bus systems. Beaverton/Hillsboro is full of IT types, Sherwood/Newberg is a growing sleepy/farm area, West Linn/Wilsonville/Lake Oswego area is more spendy. Oregon City is a mix with some beautiful areas overlooking the river.
Avoid Gresham, used to live there, would not again.
PM me if you wish.

Thanks for all the replies! Keep them coming.
I think a number of people are interested in this subject.
It can be overwhelming picking a place to live, so this information is very much appreciated.

Our son and his family live in Issaquah Highlands. It’s a wonderful area, around 25 miles due east of Seattle. That east/west drive is less congested than north/south commutes into the city. The Highlands area is very pedestrian, with lots of parks and open spaces. The major obstacle is what you might expect - housing costs. It’s very expensive.

Thanks! I'm going to check it out. Is there a particular neighborhood you would recommend that is safe and walking distance to walking trails?

But, given the home prices, I expected the rent prices for Issaquah to be even higher. I'm not sure that the difference between Portland area and Seattle area house prices is the same as the difference between Portland area and Seattle area rent prices. But, it's hard to compare apartments from different places without seeing them because you never know what an apartment looks like. I'm going to try and check some apartments on my exploratory trip.

My son and his family left Renton, Washington, just outside of Seattle, because the apartment rents were skyrocketing and crime was getting bad in the city. Do some research before you go.

Unfortunately, rent prices are skyrocketing in most places. Where I currently live is particularly bad. I don't know that there is a way to anticipate which cities are going to have the highest increases in the coming years. That would be helpful to know.

Redmond city has lots of Microsoft build up, but shopping and dining is pretty good along with lots of apartments.

With one exception, taxes are OK. If you have high capital gains, the state found it legal to make an income tax for the rich, despite law against it. So, specific capital gains >250K/yr is taxed. if you are living off of investments, make certain you can qualify for exemptions, or take no more than the non-taxable income limit.

Your home sounds wonderful. You mentioned Microsoft build-up. Are Redmond, Bellevue, and Issaquah dominated by the tech companies? Will I feel like an oddball not knowing about tech? And will I feel like an oddball if I don't have lots of money?

Do you (or anyone else) have suggestions for places for me to see or visit in Redmond (or elsewhere on the Eastside) so that I can get a good sense of what it would be like to live there?

Sadly, that capital gains tax will not be an issue for me. I don't think I'll ever have more than $50-60K in capital gains in a year. But, when you add that to IRA withdrawals and a 16K taxable pension, for someone like me the state income taxes in Oregon may offset a lot of the higher living costs in Washington. The Oregon income tax is not very progressive and has a low standard deduction. If I understand correctly, I'd be in the 9% state income tax bracket even if I earned just $12K a year.

But, if Washington is going to enact state income taxes that would apply to traditional IRAs, pensions, or Social Security, that would make things very different. Is that something that is fairly likely?

While it is true that rents are going up and high, there are recent laws restricting the increases or limiting based on notice periods. We own a few rentals.

How much can landlords increase rent per year in Washington and Oregon? For a renter like me, that would be good to know. I was under the impression that rent control was illegal in Washington and that there is a modest form of rent control in Oregon, but I guess I got that wrong.

Let me recommend Olympia, WA on South Puget Sound.
This state capital is a lovely small city with vibrant, walkable downtown, urban apartments as well as suburban. Great arts, theater, farmer’s market communities. Abundant outdoor life, trails, parks. Within reach of Olympic and Mount Rainier National Parks, state parks, less than an hour to Pacific Ocean towns.
One hour south of Seattle, one hour-forty minutes to Portland.
Take a look.

During my drive from Portland to Seattle, I think I'm going to stop for a day and check out Olympia. My biggest concern about Olympia is its size and whether there is access to sufficient good health care. One of the biggest problems with where I currently live is that there is not sufficient access to health care and I expect that to be a greater concern as I age.

Are there any particular areas I should check out while I'm in Olympia?

I live in a nice neighborhood in NE Seattle about a mile north of UW and a mile west of Lake Washington. I5 and the north/south light rail line is a mile east. Very walkable / bikeable with good restaurants and amenities in the area.

Ravenna park is here with some nice in-city trails and the Burke Gilman trail on the west side of the lake runs from Bothell to Ballard. Thornton Creek has been restored with pockets of forest that are fun to explore. Magnuson park nearby on Lake Washington has good beach access and a number of trails and a restored wetland with trails running south to Husky Stadium.

Unfortunately housing is very expensive although the market is correcting a bit from what I hear. There is some homeless presence in some of the parks and green spaces but I've never had any problems with crime and these folks are friendly for the most part despite their troubles.

Some other places of interest farther afield that might interest you:

Bothell / Woodinville
North Bend
Wenatchee
Bellingham
Spokane (2nd largest metro on the east side of the state)

WA is a gem! If you can swing it, I think you'll be very happy here.

Thanks! I'm going to take a look at some of the Seattle neighborhoods, but I'm not sure there will be many viable options. I need a place with laundry in the unit (which seems to be much more rare in the city) and the prices are high.

Are there any particular places I should see in Bothell and Woodinville to get a sense of these towns? Any particular neighborhoods that would have apartments walking distance to walking trails?

I have similar concerns about Bellingham as I do about Olympia.

I think Spokane and Wenatchee are too far east for me.

Suggest you also check out Vancouver WA--across the river from Portland. Decent size city (approx 200k) with major healthcare centers across the river in PDX. Enjoy the benefits of no income tax in WA and no sales tax in Oregon. Avoid the crazys in downtown PDX and SEA both with large homeless populations.

Thanks! I'm going to check out Vancouver while in Portland. Can you recommend any neighborhood that would be walking distance to a good, safe walking trail? Anywhere to go to get a good sense of what it is like to live in Vancouver?

You mention shopping in Portland, but is it a hassle to get into the city? Is there good public transportation? How often do people really go into Portland from Vancouver to shop? I'm trying to get a sense of how Vancouver compares to someplace like Beaverton, aside from taxes.

Good to know. I lived in a very foggy part of San Francisco and it didn't bother me. I hope that living in drizzle and overcast skies will be fine. Overcast skies won't bother me. If the rain prevents me from getting out and walking, then that might be a bit of a concern. I think I'd definitely prefer gray and drizzle to someplace like Florida or someplace with lots of snow. I love the San Francisco area, but it is out of my price range.

I'm interested in knowing the weather differences between the Portland area and Seattle area. Not just rain and clouds, but also summer heat.

+
Avoid downtown Portland. Most suburbs will have what you are looking for, the whole Portland area has tons of biking lanes, parks, trails, etc. Good light rail/bus systems. Beaverton/Hillsboro is full of IT types, Sherwood/Newberg is a growing sleepy/farm area, West Linn/Wilsonville/Lake Oswego area is more spendy. Oregon City is a mix with some beautiful areas overlooking the river.
Avoid Gresham, used to live there, would not again.
PM me if you wish.

Thanks! Can you think of any particular neighborhoods in Beaverton/Hillsboro or any of the other Portland suburbs that are walking distance to walking trails where it would be safe for a woman to walk alone during the day?

Aside from the IT factor, can you give me a sense of the main differences between Beaverton/Hillsboro and other suburbs like West Linn and Oswego? What about Tigard?

Interesting thread as we are also researching these areas. We find the Phoenix heat less tolerable as we get older. Also the sun is so intense here even in the winter it tends to sting if in it for more than 15 minutes. We also miss the greenery of SF Bay area we grew up in
Spouse has vitiligo so thinking a place with less sunny days might be a good thing.

Are there places to avoid due to drought or climate change up there?
Best place you can buy a single family home for 300k to 400k?
How are property taxes and insurance cost?
Best place for three season weather? If one is looking to avoid snow?
OP hope you don't mind me asking more questions here. I figured they might help us both. Have you watched any YouTube videos on relocation to Washington and Oregon? Lots of good information there too.

I don't mind more questions about these areas. The more information the better. And there probably are others looking for similar information.

I've watched a few youtube vidoes, but they are from real estate agents and I'm not sure that they are that helpful. Aside from the fact that I will be renting, they seem geared toward people with a ton of money and are focused on the housing and not what it would be like for a typical person to live there. I'm wondering if they are giving me a distorted view of some areas.

If you have good recommendations for youtube videos, please post them here or PM me.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Keep them coming.
I think a number of people are interested in this subject.
It can be overwhelming picking a place to live, so this information is very much appreciated.

Thanks! I'm going to check it out. Is there a particular neighborhood you would recommend that is safe and walking distance to walking trails?

Issaquah Highlands is a neighborhood within Issaquah. My son and his wife had an apartment in the Vue Issaquah complex which was walking distance to parks, trails and the shopping complex. There’s a nice bus transit center directly across the street. They liked the area so much, they ended up buying a house on the other side of the shopping complex.

Seattle and Portland proper are both too crowded for me. For years, I have wanted a home on Bainbridge Island, but can never afford a waterfront home.

A bit further out, Sequim is a nice town that is much less rainy than other places, because it is in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains.

PS. A poster mentioned Lake Oswego. We once stayed in a hotel near that area. Very nice, but I think homes there are not cheap, just from the look of it.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Bothell / Woodinville neighborhoods but have enjoyed the McMenamins Anderson School, some nice restaurants & wineries in Woodinville and the Burke Gilman and Sammamish River trails that are nearby. For a Seattleite, these seem like nice places not too far outside the city with more trees and access to the north end of Lake Washington, the Sammamish river and skiing / hiking along Highway 2. Housing might be more affordable out there but I don't think it was immune from the crazy pandemic bubble.

Checkout alltrails.com for more hiking options in the area.

Last edited:
I can't even fathom owning 7 acres in Redmond. That is like 8 figure stuff...

Thanks! I'm going to check out Vancouver while in Portland. Can you recommend any neighborhood that would be walking distance to a good, safe walking trail? Anywhere to go to get a good sense of what it is like to live in Vancouver?

Vancouver has both an urban downtown core as well as numerous suburban neighborhoods. Here are two trails that show these different aspects of the city. Both are good, safe trails that will take 2-3 hours to walk end-to-end.

Urban trail: Vancouver Waterfront trail
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/vancouver-waterfront-trail and https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/aug/31/vancouver-riverwalk-ranks-in-top-15-in-nation/

Suburban neighborhood trail: Salmon Creek Greenway Trail
https://clark.wa.gov/sites/default/files/dept/files/public-works/Parks/Salmon_Creek_Greenway_Trail.pdf

I've lived in Vancouver for 20 years now and really enjoy it. It is a 45 minute drive to the Columbia Gorge which has amazing hiking trails. Mount Hood is 1.5 hours away (skiing, hiking) and the ocean beaches are 1.5 - 2 hours away.

I apologize to the OP for missing her stating that she will be renting an apartment. I suspect many posters did too.

With that said, I want to mention West Seattle as a place quite close to downtown Seattle, yet appears to be a less crowded residential area. We stumbled on this area some years ago in one trip, and I remember it being nice and quiet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom