Where to next?

Retire44

Dryer sheet aficionado
My wife and I just turned 40 and are looking at a "reduction in labor" by mid-40's and probably full FIRE at 48.

We had a conversation this weekend about trying to knock out a few of what might be more expensive trips the next few years while still working and while in our prime as far as fitness/health, etc.

The two biggies we've talked about would be Europe (London, Paris, Germany) and the other being Italy.

We've travelled to:

Oahu (Hawaii)
Alaska via cruise
Anguilla 3x (Caribbean)
Washington DC
Chicago
Seattle
Disney World
Rocky Mountains
Las Vegas
Cancun

We are always looking for new experiences...the best part of memories is making them!

We love a relaxing day on the beach with no set schedule to follow; but we've also done the "scheduled" vacation like Washington DC and Disney World, so we are open to just about anything.

Love to hear some of your "must do" vacations for a couple in their early 40s.

Knock-out the 7th one now: Ushuia to the Antarctic Peninsula. Some cruises you listen to PhD researchers on board, then go ashore with them. Pretty awesome. Even better, but I don't think you can do it anymore is the Galapagos. I did 10 days on a little ship in the late 70's. All of the professors on board both those 'naturalist' cruises were awesome.

We want to go to S. Korea and Australia. Like you - we have already been to England and Germany. Another trip to England would be nice though...

There's lots to do in San Francisco. If you liked Oahu, maybe consider a different Hawaiian island. Maui is my favorite.

I have visited Maui and Oahu on my current vacation and I concur with daylatedollarshort.

An expensive trip for consideration which requires that you be fairly healthy is Macchu Picchu, Peru. It could be combined with the Galapagos or with a tour of other South American countries.

I would suggest Ireland; DW and I have been twice and loved it. Lots to do and see; rented a car and drove around the country, stayed at B&Bs and castles. Plenty of hiking, biking, and walking tours wherever you go.

Been to the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, and a lot more, but Ireland seems to be pretty laid back once outside of Dublin (which wasn't that bad).

I'd suggest adding Switzerland to your Europe list. If you like mountains the Bernese Oberland is among the most beautiful places in the world.

Maui is a good suggestion.

We liked Costa Rica a lot.

Places I haven't been that are high on our list are Australia/New Zealand and Spain/Portugal.

some of my favorite spots....

Buenos Aires
Rio De Janero
South of France (Cannes, Monte Carlo, St Tropez)
Sydney
Oregon Coast

The two biggies we've talked about would be Europe (London, Paris, Germany) and the other being Italy.

Italy was the first European vacation for us. We stayed in Rome, Florence, and Venice.

Germany was a pleasant surprise for me. I went for a business trip and stayed an extra week. I loved Berlin and I drove around the countryside near Heidelberg.

London coupled with a drive through the countryside is good. I've driven through the Cotswolds and up into Scotland. I didn't have trouble adjusting to the driving. Probably something you should do while you are still young.

Paris with some day trips outside the city is worth it.

I would say that England, France, and Germany are each separate vacations though it depends on your style of travel.

I would put Spain your European list too. We loved Andalucia.

Personally we did places that would be shut down due to political reasons years ago. IE Egypt. Id start with the places outside of your comfort zone but still relativly safe. I think the world is getting smaller for particularly US citizens.

some of my favorite spots....

Buenos Aires
Rio De Janero
South of France (Cannes, Monte Carlo, St Tropez)
Sydney
Oregon Coast

Great list. Some of my favorite places also. I'll add the following to the list:

Florence/Tuscany
Rome
Aix en Provence
Beijing - Great Wall
Hong Kong

So much to see...yet, so little time...

Last edited:
Add some countries in Asia to your list. It's a different culture and mostly developing countries. Since its likely a lot of flying time, best visit when you are not too old. For Europe, I love Italy and Turkey.

I did some international travels in my 40’s and 50’s. In Asia/Pacific I really enjoyed my travels to Singapore and Kula Lumpur the best. Tokyo was also interesting but I found the language challenge there was a bit of a problem for me. In the Atlantic/Europe areas I liked the UK (really enjoyed London and have been there many times over the years) I also liked my visits to Amsterdam in the Netherlands and Rome in Italy.

In the US, I’ve always liked to see the US by driving. Now that I’m retired, I can really just take my time on these longer driving trips:dance:. I’ve been coast to coast several times and plan many more in the years ahead. Favorite destinations in the US are Las Vegas, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Key West, Las Vegas, Washington DC and did I say Las Vegas. :cool:

Last edited:
We are planning a train ride/vacation through the Canadian Rockies - we've heard it is amazingly beautiful, so we are gonna find out for ourselves!

Another favorite place is the island of St. John in the USVI. We've been there a half dozen times, and stayed from 1-2 weeks, which always seems so much longer, because of the slow pace of the islands. It's a great place to really get away from it all and relax, unwind, and enjoy the beauty of the island. Truly one of our most favorite destinations.

You are right - GO NOW while you are both healthy and will enjoy - wherever it is you decide to go!

Last edited:
We really love San Antonio Texas...when we FIRE, that is where we will go!

Dominican Republic is very nice too

If you do go to the U.K. trying staying in Brighton rather than London (or stay fewer day in London). Brighton is a whole lot cheaper and is a lot more relaxed (and accepting of people) than London. There's quite a lot to see and a good selection of food and pubs to partake in.

New Orleans, LA
Santa Fe and the Enchanted Circle, NM
Napa Valley, CA
Quebec City
Prince Edward Island

We had a conversation this weekend about trying to knock out a few of what might be more expensive trips the next few years while still working and while in our prime as far as fitness/health, etc.
Love to hear some of your "must do" vacations for a couple in their early 40s.
It's easy to rattle off favorite vacation places but you asked for expensive and or requiring fitness.

On my bucket list:

Kingdom of Buthan - Expensive. It's on the edge of the Himalayas. Elevation and terrain mean fitness will be needed. The Kingdom limits the number of tourists per year. Those I know who've been there said it was the trip of a lifetime. When I can draw from my tax deferred accounts without penalty, I'll be there. Kingdom of Bhutan | Bhutan Travel | Bhutan History, Culture | Bhutan Tourism

Walk part of the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Japan. Get in backpacking shape, learn 200 words of Japananese and just do it. Break up the walk with more conventional tourism. Can be done with 2 sets of luggage. Carry a backpack, send the suitcase ahead to your planned rest spots. 88 Temple Pilgrimage travel guide - Wikitravel

Pick a sport you've never done, find out where the best seasons and places are and go learn it for a few weeks. Even better if you never intend to do the sport after the vacation.

On my bucket list if I can recruit some friends:

Italy. Eat your way from Sicily to the Alps, following spring north. Best done in a group of 4 so you can taste more and all fit at one table. This one would be a challenge to do inexpensively. Fitness is required because you'll have to do significant exercise daily to avoid coming home looking like the Michelin Man.

Taken off my bucket list when I gave up bicycling:

Converted barge through the canals of the low countries of northen europe: Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Germany, France. Barge keeps a schedule, guests get off and then rejoin the barge by walking, biking or using public transit. Was a favorite among bicyclists I knew in the '80s. Cost depends in large part on your daily wine purchases. There used to be both luxury and budget barges but it's been many years since I looked at this.

If you are into hiking or cycling, here are a few I have done that are my favorites:

1. Hike the Cinque Terre trail along the Italian coast. It is an 18km hike between 5 Italian coastal villages that is one of the nicest hikes in the world. Easily done in one day, but many people take longer and explore the little villages.
2. The Classic Inca Trail hike is a 4 day hike that ends up at dawn overlooking Machu Picchu. It is strenuous but you have porters to carry your tents and food.
3. Hike from Jinshanling to Simatai along the Great Wall of China. This is a 10km hike along a remote section of the wall, away from the tourist crowds of Badaling. It is a nice day trip while visiting Beijing.
4. Bike and barge trip along the Danube. A 7 day trip where you sleep on a converted barge and get up every day to cycle on paved trails while the boat goes down the river and meets you at the next stop.
5. Cycle along RR tracks that were converted to biking trails in America. I've done the Katy Trail in Missouri and you can sleep at B&Bs along the way.

All of the above are easily doable if you are moderately fit and like to walk or ride bicycles. Inca Trail was the hardest but worth it. Do a Google search for images of these areas.

Last edited:
Thinking maybe Jordan, (Petra, etc), then deke into Israel, (haven't been there for 31 years), and revisit the old city of Jerusalem.

- Would also like to see Orangutans in the wild; and maybe go back to Sri Lanka, (this'd be the 4th time), and definitely Zambia and/or Namibia.

I have been to over 80 countries, and have researched another 100....my Top 19 outside the US/Canada...

Italy (Venice, Rome, Florence, Sicily)
France (Paris & Southern France)
Southern Spain
London
Russia (Leningrad & Moscow)
Baltics (Talinn, especially)
Greek Islands

Turkey (Istanbul & Ephesus)
Israel
Jordan (Petra)
Egypt *
Kenya *
India *
Nepal (Everest Base Camp)
China (Beijing *, Xian, Guilin)
Cambodia (Siem Reap)
Yucatan Peninsula
Peru (Inca Trail)
Palau - South Pacific (diving)

Disappointments: Buenas Aires; Amazon; Athens

Caveat (*): I have not been to India, Egypt, Kenya or Beijing and are rating these based upon my research only.

Personally I'd swap Botswana or Tanzania for Kenya.......I was in Kenya ~27 years ago and it was 'overdone' then.....African Disneyland.

I was just thinking my bucket list was empty now I have more places to go. Favorite trips were Italy hill towns bike ride, New Orleans except in summer, Kruger natl park out of Johannesburg and Aus Great Barrier Reef. And of course sonoma Russian river. Dissapointments - any big city including Paris.

I haven't done any traveling for pleasure since getting out of the Navy. Several places I went as a sailor that I would like to go back to.

Toulon France.

Skaramagas Greece. Subway to Athens is just a couple of miles up the mountain. Oros Egaleo is a famous mountain just north of the harbor.

Barcelona, Valencia and Palma de Mallorca Spain.

Ceiba Puerto Rico.

Cuba. I spent a good deal of time in GITMO. Would like to see Havana and the rest of the country.

The other places I would like to visit are from my novels. A barge trip up the Ems River from Emden Germany {East Frisia} would be at the top of my list. But the ports of Ireland, Scotland, Iceland, Newfoundland and North Carolina would be nice too. It is scary though. For years I have visited these places in 1718 {with the help of google earth}. Seeing them now might ruin it for me.

Any traveling I do, I want to stay away from tourists. Living in Florida, I have placed them just below no seeums {sand flea} in the scale of things I could do without.

Back
Top Bottom