Where to store one's guns (Pistols only) while traveling.

No suggestions but this thread brings back a memory. About 25 years ago, we came down to our weekend house and found a kitchen window broken and left open. I looked around and couldn't see that the intruder had taken anything. Until I looked in the closet where I had a 22 target rifle and a 38 revolver hidden under some stuff. They were the only things missing. DW doesn't want any guns in the DC house so I am currently unarmed.

I don't have a safe or are they hid. I have them on an upright standing round swivel gun storage rack in the den.

I should look into a more hidden spot for them after reading through the posts. We live in a very low crime, low populated area but you never know. Almost everyone carriers a weapon of some sort everyday here. Mostly for protecting their livestock from predators etc.

We use a gun safe in the basement. It is bolted to the wall from the inside but I'm guessing a determined thief could get into it with some effort. For us, a big reason for securing them is to prevent access by grandkids and friends that may be visiting us. I've taken several of the GKs shooting and have tried to instill in them gun safety and responsibility but you never know for sure about the younger ones or their friends. Quite a change from when I was a kid and the rifle was standing in the corner of the unlocked porch.

FWIW, If you already have (or thinking about getting) a gun safe, your might want to watch these videos.

While I'm sure any safe can be broken into, buying quality and doing things like bolting it securely in place, etc, will help. (IMO) It's all about time and making it difficult so the bad guys will go away. Although, even cheaper ones are "probably" still a good way to keep your guns away from young kids, and dumber crooks, if you keep the safe locked. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RlwGkhxE

Last edited:
If it's only a few pistols, then maybe a safety deposit box is best. Deposited without the mags of ammo of course, and brought in hidden in a bag/briefcase.

You'd want to check with your bank before bringing them in to store. Some banks do not allow firearms in their boxes.

FWIW, If you already have (or thinking about getting) a gun safe, your might want to watch these videos.

While I'm sure any safe can be broken into, buying quality and doing things like bolting it securely in place, etc, will help. (IMO) It's all about time and making it difficult so the bad guys will go away. Although, even cheaper ones are "probably" still a good way to keep your guns away from young kids, and dumber crooks, if you keep the safe locked. :)

Our thieves cut a strip on the side of the gun safe and pulled the metal back. They'd also tried breaking off the lock mechanism and cutting in through the door bolts, so maybe they'd never done this before.

For the small Sentry safe, they seemed to go right for the bottom, so maybe they knew what they were doing with that one.

Attachments

• L_safe_side_cut_1.JPG
    L_safe_side_cut_1.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 22
  • S_safe_front.JPG
    S_safe_front.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 21
  • S_safe_bottom_2.JPG
    S_safe_bottom_2.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 21
My den/office is such a disaster with books, papers, boxes and boxes and boxes of "stuff" that there is no way they would find anything valuable. It would take them a couple of hours just to get into the back corner.
I make myself feel better about the mess by calling the technique "hiding in plain sight".

When I got my big basement safe I commented to someone that a burgler could gain access pretty easily by using the cutting torch he would find in the garage. "So put the torch in the safe." ... and that's where it's been ever since. :LOL:

When I got my big basement safe I commented to someone that a burgler could gain access pretty easily by using the cutting torch he would find in the garage. "So put the torch in the safe." ... and that's where it's been ever since. :LOL:
:LOL: For the same reason, that's where I put my hand held grinder... (Seriously)

Last edited:
Not so much a strong safe, but a secure "concealed" location in a single-story home is what I am after.

Perhaps some space in the attic or beneath the house, making sure to provide for preventing moisture problems.

We have 2 X His & Hers Gun Safes - We have Mechanical Dial Locks as we don't like or trust the electronic locks.
RsSCJGyl.png

For keeping hand guns in a small safe we have several of these: Recommend the Fort Knox and the V-Line Brutes. I favor the Fort Knox as it has abit more interior room.
They both have Simplex mechanical locks. Do not forget your Combo !
Do recommend
1QM4fGpl.png
ZX1O52Rl.png

Last edited:
Thanks to the folks that actually answered my initial posting question. I think I will go with a small floor (or wall) safe mounted in the ceiling joists in the attic. I may put some faux removable floorboards over it for extra concealment.

We have 2 X His & Hers Gun Safes - We have Mechanical Dial Locks as we don't like or trust the electronic locks.
I had a good S&G mechanical dial/lock on my safe too... After 10-12 years, I could feel the dial wasn't turning as smoothly as it had in the past. I cleaned it up (internally) but it still didn't feel right and was getting worse. I talked to the dealer about getting a new mechanical lock and dial mechanism but he talked me into a new push button electronic lock (S&G too). Pretty easy to swap them out myself and it fit/worked absolutely perfectly. That was ~10 years ago and the only thing I've had to do is replace the batteries when they get weak. I got to pick my own combination too when I did the install and can easily change it, if I ever feel it's needed. Glad I switched. Of course, YMMV.

You'd want to check with your bank before bringing them in to store. Some banks do not allow firearms in their boxes.

Of course, banks are not supposed to know what you have in the safety deposit box as it's private.

Every time I've opened a safety deposit box, I'm in a tiny room room all by myself. So no way would they know.

Thanks to the folks that actually answered my initial posting question. I think I will go with a small floor (or wall) safe mounted in the ceiling joists in the attic. I may put some faux removable floorboards over it for extra concealment.

Sounds like a good plan. IMO, hiding the location is better than putting them in a safe that is easily found.

Heat is the enemy of ammo, so store them empty. Could be pretty awkward, as in very hot up there to put & retrieve them.

The good thing, is if it's hot up there, nobody will bother going up to search.

Where to store one's pistol while traveling?

Beside my seat, in the glovebox or above the bed in the camper. I have a gunsafe in the garage... sure a couple folks could grab it up toss in a truck and drive off... Its very heavy filled with lead ingots...
Nice decoy huh....

Back
Top Bottom