Where will you be in five years?

In 5 years I am hoping to have a net worth of $500-600k in today's dollars at the age of 31. My income should rise substantially between now and then so I may have more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I think DH and I will likely be living a similar life. DD will be 13 then. I am semi-retired already, still working part time in my own business, while DH still works full time for himself. I don't expect that to change in 5 years. I expect us to still be living in the same house, saving well for full retirement, and traveling as much as we can. I think we will have purchased another investment condo in the mountains by then. I am hopeful my health is the same or better. Autoimmune diseases seem to like me and keep showing up.

I didn't see this thread five years ago, but if I had I would have said that I hoped to be retired by now. Glad to report that I am happily retired. Hope that five years from now I am still in the same house and that DH and I have taken at least five great trips. I budget for one big trip each year.

So far, my goals are working out. Still in same house...still managing one "big" trip each year. DH had a health scare last year. Fortunately all worked out, but I am very aware that now is the time to enjoy life.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I did not have a prediction of what our life would look like in 5 years. I was happily retired and DH was working full-time. In 12/07, I would not have been able to predict that I would now be working part-time, DH would be disabled and not working, that we would have a granddaughter and that DD, SIL and granddaughter would be living with us. One never knows what the future will hold. I wonder what will be going on in our lives over the next 5 years.

I met my goal of finishing getting my social security credits and quit my part-time job 05/15/15. I have not applied for my social security yet. I will be 63 yrs old this month. My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughters now live around Charlotte NC. My granddaughter is now 7 years old and we have another granddaughter 1 1/2 years old. My newest grandchild is due 6/4/16. Most of the time, we travel to NC about once per month, unless they come home. They are trying their best to get us to move to NC. We have joined a gym and are trying to get in better shape. I still cruise with my retiree friends. We still meet once per month for lunch and three of us take Aqua Jog classes together 3 days per week and go to Panera on Fridays. We still have 4 cats left (1 died in Oct 2015) and that limits our traveling somewhat. My DH and I did manage a trip to Maine and did a schooner trip for 6 days.

I think that we will still be living in our same home five years from now. Hopefully, we will be spending a few of the winter months down south. That depends on whether our 4 cats are still living or not. I love them and will definitely miss them, but will enjoy the freedom of not having any animals. I know that our house will feel empty without them though. My son and his fiance should be married by then. (They are planning on 06/17.) I should have 3 healthy grandchildren by then and no one is planning any more. Hopefully, we will be traveling more and to other countries. I need to educate myself on how to do this on our own, instead of with tour groups and then have enough courage to try it and convince my DH that we can do it. I hope that we are healthy and in better shape. I hope that we are still loving retirement and grateful for all of our blessings.

Five years ago I would have said that I would be 50 years old, would have separated from my Megacorp job, reached seven figures in net worth, took a few months off to recharge, went back to work part-time for some spending money, health insurance and retirement benefits, while my wife went to seminary, became an ordained pastor and we moved to a town of 300 people in just about the middle of nowhere to find a congregation for her to serve.

So I'm batting 1.000 in my prognostication....

I think that we will still be living in our same home five years from now. Hopefully, we will be spending a few of the winter months down south. That depends on whether our 4 cats are still living or not. I love them and will definitely miss them, but will enjoy the freedom of not having any animals. I know that our house will feel empty without them though.

I understand this concern, but I found a solution that worked for us when we wanted to take longer vacations. I found a free live-in petsitter. I used housecarers.com to find two different sitters (first one for a 2 week Alaska trip, 2nd one for an entire month-long trip up north for a surgery combined with family visit).

You have to do your due diligence and interview the sitters very well and check references. Having someone live in your home is not for everyone. But I love it. Both sitters were fantastic and took wonderful care of my kitty cat, who is NOT easy to love, lol! (she is unpredictable) We have neighbors who checked in on her often, so I knew someone was keeping an eye on the place and would confirm for me that the sitter was indeed there. Plus, I had my sitters send me pictures of "the Princess" every few days.

As a result of this experience, we decided we wanted to experience the reverse side and be sitters ourselves. We did 10 day long sit in Brooklyn for two little dogs and a week long sit in Orlando for 2 dogs. And in August we are doing a 3 wk long sit for a dog and 2 kitties near Sarasota (while we look at real estate - plan to retire there!). This is such a great way to travel cheaply AND get to enjoy pets!

Anyways, it's not for everyone, but sharing just in case you might find it helpful.

Oh, the other site we use is housesitters.com.

I think that we will still be living in our same home five years from now. Hopefully, we will be spending a few of the winter months down south. That depends on whether our 4 cats are still living or not. I love them and will definitely miss them, but will enjoy the freedom of not having any animals. I know that our house will feel empty without them though.

We plan to take our 2 cats with us when we winter somewhere down south. We will be staying in our travel trailer, though we might rent a condo for a month or so the first time. I used to drive 5 or 6 hours all the time in college with one or two cats in tow. The first couple of trips were scary for them, but then they adjusted to traveling after that. Of course you have to worry about the temperature inside the car. In warm weather, all stops need to be very quick, park the car in the shade, leave all the windows open a couple inches, and so on. If there are two people traveling, someone can always stay in the car with the A/C running. Or you could buy one of those battery operated ice/cooler based AC systems for camping, & leave it in the car to keep it cool for a longer rest stop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom