Which Facebook Account was Hacked?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My sister got some obvious spam Facebook messages purportedly from Lena (DW—in the red sweater):

arOtYmB.png

nwyArlw.png

Lena uses 2fa, and none of her other friends have received similar messages.

My guess is that my sister's account has been hacked.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I canceled my FB account a few years back b/c of a similar hack. I thought I was exchanging with my DH cousin. I sent her a few pictures and a few quick stories. Her icon was right, pic of her and her DH, everything looked normal. Then, something about her English seemed out of sorts. It was not her. Freaked me out. Will never have a FB account again.

I've gotten vague Facebook messages from supposed friends. I don't respond, because I know they're fake.

Think I got duped recently in revealing a possible challenge type answer to an imposter.

Either that or was talking to nosy BIL. I had been FB messaging with him for about an hour the previous night about sports. Then in the morning I got the question and without thinking, gave the answer.

I did check my message history and the thread was from the same person so maybe this wasn't an imposter, but the question was just sort of odd. Like one of those "What was the first name of your best friend in grade school?" type question.

I read where there can be FB message spoofing (I guess similar to phone spoofing). So that may be one way the culprits can pretend as a real FB user.

Someone may be impersonating Lena, which can happen without Lena’s Facebook being compromised. The problem happens when someone accepts a friend request from the imposter, even though they already have a friend link to the original.

Interesting. So, my sister would have two "Lena" friends then?

Hmmm... Another meaning to Fakebook. Fake friends, not just fake, curated virtual lives.

Hmmm... Another meaning to Fakebook. Fake friends, not just fake, curated virtual lives.

Plus, might be difficult to give up if the fake friends end up more interesting than the real friends :D.

You can report the fake ones so FB can cut them off.
Problem is how do you know they're fake until it's too late. And how do you know who is reading all your "secure" messages? My DSI puts pictures of her kids in front of their house or school, where they go out to eat, where they work...no information is sacred. I'll spew some personal stuff on this forum but FB is scary.

Possibly, if she accepted another friend request.

I recommend reporting the impersonator. I posted a link in my original reply.

I have several family members who at one time accepted an imposter friend for months. I had to warn them and tell them they are talking to a fake.

The imposters would copy the real peoples profile page and some photos which they had posted to seem authentic. Makes me wonder how these scammers look themselves in the mirror.

Interesting. So, my sister would have two "Lena" friends then?

Yes. Have "Lena" do a search on her name. She will probably see a duplicate. I have an aunt who shows up twice. I friended the real profile only, but when I clicked on the second profile it shows that 8 of my friends have friended the imposter and commented on her profile pic. The imposter claims to have been born 30+ years later than the original but displays the same profile picture.

I have several family members who at one time accepted an imposter friend for months. I had to warn them and tell them they are talking to a fake.

The imposters would copy the real peoples profile page and some photos which they had posted to seem authentic. Makes me wonder how these scammers look themselves in the mirror.

Perhaps one should feel sorry for them since they're clearly so bored with life that they have nothing better to do than impersonate other people on Facebook?:yuk:

Perhaps one should feel sorry for them since they're clearly so bored with life that they have nothing better to do than impersonate other people on Facebook?:yuk:

Unfortunately, I'm guessing they had other motives than just being bored with their lives.

Back
Top Bottom