Which Medigap plan insurer (Texas)

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am going on Medicare in April so am starting to look at medigap plans. I will be sticking to traditional Medicare. I am particularly interested in any thoughts on Amerigroup which is significantly less expensive than the other options.

I am on my own to determine this since I am one of those using Via Benefits (previously One Exchange). I get about $2100 to contribute to costs. I am use this solely on medigap supplement or Plan D bought through Via Benefits or reimbursement for Part B premiums. Theoretically I could get only the Part D through Via Benefits and the part B premium reimbursement. But I would leave money on the table. I take only 1 Tier one prescription so my Part D premium options are very low in cost.

I am going to do Plan G. There are 6 Plan G providers through Via Benefits.

These are the costs. All of them are attained age rating except AARP/UHC which is community rated (with a discount for age the first 12 years). DH bought his supplement on his own and is with AARP/UHC. It has been fairly consistent in price increases over the year with about a 3% increase each June (along with the slow reduction of his age discount). When it started it had Silver Sneakers but they discontinued it last year to instead give a 50% discount at some gyms. Not nearly as good a benefit.

Amerigroup - $116
AARP/UHC - $139.04
Humana - $142.37
EPIC Life Ins. - $143.98
Cigna - $170.45
Mutual of Omaha - $180

The last 2 I am going to reject just on cost alone. Amerigroup is significantly less and says it includes Silver Sneakers (they do stress they can get rid of it any time so I don't expect it to continue long term).

The next 3 are all close enough together to be basically the same. I've never heard of EPIC.

I had never heard of Amerigroup but did some research. It is an Anthem subsidiary. Apparently for a long time it basically mostly handled Medicaid and is known for that. At some point it started offering Medicare Advantage plans geared to the person who is dual Medicaid/Medicare eligible. Several years ago Anthem bought them. They now offer traditional medigap supplements in two states: Arizona and Texas. I think they are new to doing this year in Arizona and either this year or last year in Texas.

So, obviously my concern is that they have no history of rate increases and that they came up with a really low premium to entice people to sign up and that they will increase premiums substantially in future years when they lose money. So, I wonder if it is safer to go with either AARP/UHC or Humana.

Typically the knock on AARP/UHC is that it is more expensive in the earlier years due to the community rating (even with the discount) but is less expensive after age 77. But - on the plans through Via Benefits it is the 2nd cheapest. The knock is that it doesn't have Silver Sneakers any more. But, for those that do offer it (and not all supplements do), they all make it clear that it is a benefit they can drop. Humana apparently does include it, but again there is no guarantee it would continue.

My other option is to get my part D through Via Benefits and get reimbursed for Part B premiums. To fully use the money, at current rates I could get a Part D that had premiums of about $40 a month. In actuality I am looking at a plan that has a premium of $10.40 a month (the cheapest since I only take the one med). If I did that then I could get a medicap plan through anyone offering one in this area (DFW area). Not sure if there are any that are significantly less expensive than AARP/UHC or Humana.

I am going on Medicare in April so am starting to look at medigap plans. I will be sticking to traditional Medicare. I am particularly interested in any thoughts on Amerigroup which is significantly less expensive than the other options.

I am on my own to determine this since I am one of those using Via Benefits (previously One Exchange). I get about $2100 to contribute to costs. I am use this solely on medigap supplement or Plan D bought through Via Benefits or reimbursement for Part B premiums. Theoretically I could get only the Part D through Via Benefits and the part B premium reimbursement. But I would leave money on the table. I take only 1 Tier one prescription so my Part D premium options are very low in cost.

I am going to do Plan G. There are 6 Plan G providers through Via Benefits.

These are the costs. All of them are attained age rating except AARP/UHC which is community rated (with a discount for age the first 12 years). DH bought his supplement on his own and is with AARP/UHC. It has been fairly consistent in price increases over the year with about a 3% increase each June (along with the slow reduction of his age discount). When it started it had Silver Sneakers but they discontinued it last year to instead give a 50% discount at some gyms. Not nearly as good a benefit.

Amerigroup - $116
AARP/UHC - $139.04
Humana - $142.37
EPIC Life Ins. - $143.98
Cigna - $170.45
Mutual of Omaha - $180

The last 2 I am going to reject just on cost alone. Amerigroup is significantly less and says it includes Silver Sneakers (they do stress they can get rid of it any time so I don't expect it to continue long term).

The next 3 are all close enough together to be basically the same. I've never heard of EPIC.

I had never heard of Amerigroup but did some research. It is an Anthem subsidiary. Apparently for a long time it basically mostly handled Medicaid and is known for that. At some point it started offering Medicare Advantage plans geared to the person who is dual Medicaid/Medicare eligible. Several years ago Anthem bought them. They now offer traditional medigap supplements in two states: Arizona and Texas. I think they are new to doing this year in Arizona and either this year or last year in Texas.

So, obviously my concern is that they have no history of rate increases and that they came up with a really low premium to entice people to sign up and that they will increase premiums substantially in future years when they lose money. So, I wonder if it is safer to go with either AARP/UHC or Humana.

Typically the knock on AARP/UHC is that it is more expensive in the earlier years due to the community rating (even with the discount) but is less expensive after age 77. But - on the plans through Via Benefits it is the 2nd cheapest. The knock is that it doesn't have Silver Sneakers any more. But, for those that do offer it (and not all supplements do), they all make it clear that it is a benefit they can drop. Humana apparently does include it, but again there is no guarantee it would continue.

My other option is to get my part D through Via Benefits and get reimbursed for Part B premiums. To fully use the money, at current rates I could get a Part D that had premiums of about $40 a month. In actuality I am looking at a plan that has a premium of $10.40 a month (the cheapest since I only take the one med). If I did that then I could get a medicap plan through anyone offering one in this area (DFW area). Not sure if there are any that are significantly less expensive than AARP/UHC or Humana.

One month in and Via Benefits has completely screwed up the Aetna Part D payment and therefore the reimbursement. No easy way to fix it so far.

AARP/UHC seems to handle the paperwork well. Prompt and professional so far. That's all I can say about them at this point.

I would avoid the low end companies that specialize in Medicaid. Aetna's Part D business has been sold to Wellcare and they take over next year. I will probably switch then.

The Via Benefits people will run your prescription through a total cost program to see what is cheapest overall. You should look at the current formulary for any company you are considering for Part D anyway. The copay for my Tier 2 prescription is $3. Originally it was supposed to be zero and then $2.

Have fun!

Amerigroup - $116
AARP/UHC - $139.04
Humana - $142.37
EPIC Life Ins. - $143.98
Cigna - $170.45
Mutual of Omaha - $180

Yikes, those plan G premiums are really high. Here in central Texas the 2018 premiums for part G for a 65 YO female were:

Humana $106
Cigna $93
Mutual of Omaha $98

AARP/UHC seems to handle the paperwork well. Prompt and professional so far. That's all I can say about them at this point.

DH has AARP/UHC (bought on his own) and he has had zero problems with them. Premium increases have been very consistent from year to year and reasonable in amount. My only real beef with them is that they got rid of Silver Sneakers to "improve" their program to give a 50% discount at some fitness places. Umm...going from free at many places to a 50% discount at one place is not an improvement....

I would avoid the low end companies that specialize in Medicaid.

That probably leaves out Amerigroup although they are owned by Anthem. But their lack of history in the medigap market makes me wary that they have mispriced this....

Anyway - I think it will be between AARP/UHC and Humana. The only negative with AARP/UHC is lack of Silver Sneakers which Humana has. But, that can always go away so I can't focus too much on that....

Aetna's Part D business has been sold to Wellcare and they take over next year. I will probably switch then.

I take only one prescription which is a tier 1 generic everywhere and usually exempted from the deductible. The lowest cost for me with Via Benefits is a $10.40 plan with WellCare. I may just take it since I can always change next year if something comes up. Another option would be Express
Scripts or SilverScript.

Yikes, those plan G premiums are really high. Here in central Texas the 2018 premiums for part G for a 65 YO female were:

Humana $106
Cigna $93
Mutual of Omaha $98

Moving is probably out of the question for me..... DH has AARP/UHC Plan F and when we moved from Montgomery County (near Houston) to Tarrant County, his premiums went down a few dollars each month....

DH bought his supplement on his own and is with AARP/UHC.
$139 is the individual rate for UHC/AARP Plan G paid by check. UHC gives a $2 discount for bank draft (EFT). Since your husband is already with UHC, a 5% household discount would be applied to both this rate and your husband's premium. Household discounts are commonplace in the Medigap industry and should not go away like Silver Sneakers.

Humana $106
Cigna $93
Mutual of Omaha $98
I think Via Benefits is adjusting some of the premiums. This is what my source shows.

* Fort Worth, TX
• Age 65
• Female
• Non-tobacco
• Sorted by Price, includes EFT discount if offered
$93.22 /mo Philadelphia American Life Insurance Company
$101.08 /mo Western United Life Assurance Company
$101.47 /mo Catholic Life Insurance
$103.75 /mo Lumico Life Insurance Company
$104.02 /mo Shenandoah Life Insurance Company
$104.37 /mo Puritan Life Insurance Company Of America
$104.89 /mo Southern Guaranty Insurance Company
$106.11 /mo Equitable National Life Insurance Company
$106.29 /mo Union Security Insurance Company
$107.40 /mo GPM Health And Life Insurance Company
$107.57 /mo Guarantee Trust Life Insurance Company
$108.51 /mo Loyal Christian Benefit Association
$108.53 /mo Humana Insurance Company
$108.75 /mo Unified Life Insurance Company
$109.85 /mo Greek Catholic Union Of The Usa
$110.99 /mo Everest Reinsurance Company
$111.28 /mo Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company
$111.53 /mo National Health Insurance Company\
$111.86 /mo Cigna Health And Life Insurance Company
$113.14 /mo National Guardian Life Insurance Company
$113.34 /mo Pan-American Life Insurance Company
$113.84 /mo Renaissance Life & Health Insurance Company Of America
$113.90 /mo Old Surety Life Ins Co
$114.00 /mo Amerigroup Insurance Company
$114.12 /mo Oxford Life Insurance Company
$115.21 /mo Transamerica Premier Life Insurance Company
$116.27 /mo Pekin Life Insurance Company
$117.51 /mo Prosperity Life Group
$117.95 /mo United World Life Insurance Company (Mutual of Omaha)
$118.29 /mo Aetna Health And Life Insurance Company
$119.42 /mo CSI Life Insurance Company
$120.96 /mo American National Life Insurance Company Of Texas
$121.23 /mo Individual Assurance Company, Life, Health & Accident
$122.95 /mo Bankers Fidelity Assurance Company
$123.16 /mo Americo Financial Life And Annuity Insurance Company
$123.61 /mo Combined Insurance Company Of America
$123.80 /mo Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company
$126.77 /mo Universal Fidelity Life Insurance Company
$130.81 /mo Liberty Bankers Life Insurance Company
$137.04 /mo AARP Medicare Supplement Plans, Insured By Unitedhealthcare

$139 is the individual rate for UHC/AARP Plan G paid by check. UHC gives a $2 discount for bank draft (EFT). Since your husband is already with UHC, a 5% household discount would be applied to both this rate and your husband's premium. Household discounts are commonplace in the Medigap industry and should not go away like Silver Sneakers.

I think Via Benefits is adjusting some of the premiums. This is what my source shows.

I knew about the UHC/AARP discount which is a definite plus. OK -- this is strange. I just did this Via Benefits search last night and they had 41 Medicare supplement plans of which the AARP/UHC ones were included. I just did the search again and now there are 31 plans, with non AARP/UHC plans. I don't know where they have gone... I do know that the price that they were showing did match with what I see on the AARP/UHC web page.

On the premiums for other insurers that you found, this is odd. There seems to be a real discrepancy between what you see and what is on the rate sheets attached to the via benefits listings.

On your list you have Humana at $108.53. Via Benefits has plan listed as Plan G (Attained-age-rated, Guarantee Issue) offered through Willis Towers Watson. Premium $142.37. Attached to the listing under outline of coverage/Summary of benefits is what appears to be a Humana brochure entitled "Outline of Medicare Supplement Coverage" for Texas residents Medicare supplement benefit plans: A, F and G. On the lower left is Humana and below that is TX81077HC. Then are pages with the location areas (I am area 3) and then pages of rates. The rate page for my area has across the toe Humana Connect Medicare Supplement Area 3 Monthly Premiums. Effective Date: 07-01-2015 The amount shown for me would be $143.40.

It does say toward the end that there is a $2 discount for making payments electronically.

I don't know what to make of the 2015 date or why this document apparently from Humana is so different than the number you found.

Also I looked at the Cigna sheet attached to their amounts on Cigna. It is rates from Loyal American (which I know is a Cigna subsidiary). This sheet is dated 2/4/18 as that is written in the lower right corner. For plan G in Area II it shows that standard monthly rates for age 65 female are $170.45. They don't show separate amounts for smokers and non-smokers so wonder if that accounts for this difference.

For Mutual of Omaha the plan is described as Plan G (Attained-age-rated, Guarantee Issue) offered through Willis Towers Watson at $180 a month. The attached sheet is a listing of rates. The bottom left has C012.A-TX and the bottom right says TX_MOO-MSRE_010119

The non tobacco rate in my area is shown as $180. I assume the sheet is done by Mutual of Omaha as under premium info it says "We, Mutual of Omaha, can only raise your premium if...."

So - I am really baffled by all of this and the discrepancy you see versus what is on these sheets.

I was leaning toward AARP/UHC but if Via Benefits doesn't offer it then if I wanted it I would get outside of Via Benefits and would then place my Part D with them and then use the HRA for my part B premiums. I would leave a little money on the table but it might be OK.

Comments and observations, for what they're worth :)

I think the DFW area has the highest medical costs, therefore rates, of any area in Texas. Months ago, I used AARP/UHC online to compare rates for Plan G among areas in and out of Texas. DFW was more expensive than any area I looked at. San Antonio area considerably cheaper. Even Chicago area was cheaper than DFW.

A quick search revealed that Via Benefits is a "solutions" arm of WTW.

I don't know how an HRA works, never having one. Is the $2100/year the max you will ever get? If so, then you may "grow out of" a choice that is anywhere near the $2100/year limit. Would not want to try to change Medigap plan for that later!

The Via Benefits dollar amounts not lining up is a red flag, obviously. Any hope of getting useful and accurate info from them by phone? BTW, they have a major call center in Richardson, maybe office too.

Amerigroup would not inspire confidence in me! Having Medigap plans available in only 2 states, and a starter at that... They never appeared in CSGActuarial.com when I was looking. Seems their business is MA plans.

I rejected Humana because all I ever got from them in the tons of mail was MA plans. Not a word from them about Medigap plans. Humana's website is all MA plans... they have one comment about Medigap, if you find it... "Call us at 1-8xxxxxxxx. Yeah, they're really interested in picking up Medigap business, I'll pass (and did!).

Kat, if it were me (and remember I don't know HRA setups), I would put the one choice to get right for all time, the Medigap selection, under my own power and care, not in the HRA setup. And use the $2,100 to pay Part B premiums, and a Part D drug plan like you mentioned as an alternate solution. I would consider going with a more expensive Part D than needed for the first year, a plan with zero or very low deductible, for two reasons: First, they would be paying for it. Second, you could use that time you have with it in 2019 to get both ShingRx shots, which are $$. Then for 2020, drop back to a cheaper drug plan. Then, as the years go by and by, if the Part B premiums start to eat up most of the $2,100, drop the drug plan out to your own payment.

Last edited:

Humana $106
Cigna $93
Mutual of Omaha $98

I was shocked too. I thought Mutual of Omaha usually came in well below AARP/UHC

I was shocked too. I thought Mutual of Omaha usually came in well below AARP/UHC
And they do! Maybe AARP/UHC has some sort of "no middleman" clause that disallows any reseller from adding their own wrapper around it, therefore making AARP/UHC "cheaper" than others in the strange situation that Kat has.

There seems to be a real discrepancy between what you see and what is on the rate sheets attached to the via benefits listings.

It seems clear to me that Via Benefits is, as MBSC says, "adjusting" (increasing) premiums for Medigap policies purchased through them. That sets off all sorts of alarm bells as to what impact that might have to future rates.

I'm with Telly in suggesting you go with your part D idea and maintain first person control of your Medigap policy.

Kat, if it were me (and remember I don't know HRA setups), I would put the one choice to get right for all time, the Medigap selection, under my own power and care, not in the HRA setup. And use the $2,100 to pay Part B premiums, and a Part D drug plan like you mentioned as an alternate solution.

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you contact Boomer Benefits and discuss your options with them.

Can a policy taken at Via Benefits ever cost more than the same policy taken directly? I thought MediGap policies were price regulated and the same policy always had the same price without regard to the sales channel.

On your list you have Humana at $108.53. Via Benefits has plan listed as Plan G (Attained-age-rated, Guarantee Issue) offered through Willis Towers Watson. Premium $142.37. Attached to the listing under outline of coverage/Summary of benefits is what appears to be a Humana brochure entitled "Outline of Medicare Supplement Coverage" for Texas residents Medicare supplement benefit plans: A, F and G. On the lower left is Humana and below that is TX81077HC. Then are pages with the location areas (I am area 3) and then pages of rates.
Can a policy taken at Via Benefits ever cost more than the same policy taken directly? I thought MediGap policies were price regulated and the same policy always had the same price without regard to the sales channel.
When I search for Humana document TX81077HC, I get the following brochure for Medigap plans from HumanaDental Insurance Company. The rates I provided in a previous post are for individual supplement plans from Humana. The rates can be different since they are two different companies with separate rate filings. It's similar to how Mutual of Omaha (United World) and Cigna (Loyal American) sell Medigap plans under different company names with different rates. UHC does not play the "name game" which explains why the retiree premium matches the individual premium.

Humana document TX81077HC: http://apps.humana.com/marketing/documents.asp?file=2647814

When I search for Humana document TX81077HC, I get the following brochure for Medigap plans from HumanaDental Insurance Company. The rates I provided in a previous post are for individual supplement plans from Humana. The rates can be different since they are two different companies with separate rate filings.]

So Via Benefits may not be tacking on a surcharge or otherwise increasing the rates for these Medigap insurers, instead they only offer policies from higher priced clone companies. Is there some benefit to Via Benefits to employ this strategy?

Comments and observations, for what they're worth :)

I think the DFW area has the highest medical costs, therefore rates, of any area in Texas. Months ago, I used AARP/UHC online to compare rates for Plan G among areas in and out of Texas. DFW was more expensive than any area I looked at.

DFW is cheaper than Houston actually. When we moved here DH's AARP/UHC premiums went down about $7 a month.

A quick search revealed that Via Benefits is a "solutions" arm of WTW.
Yes, I knew that.

I don't know how an HRA works, never having one. Is the $2100/year the max you will ever get? If so, then you may "grow out of" a choice that is anywhere near the $2100/year limit. Would not want to try to change Medigap plan for that later!

No, it goes up each year, but the increase is capped at I think 4%. It went up just under 3% this year. The year before it was about 1.8%.

Any hope of getting useful and accurate info from them by phone? BTW, they have a major call center in Richardson, maybe office too.

Yes, the last time I had to talk to them I ended up talking to a guy in the Richardson office. Not sure about accurate information... Most of them have been nice to deal with, but they don't always have all the information so I am not sure they are going to know fine details about pricing.

Kat, if it were me (and remember I don't know HRA setups), I would put the one choice to get right for all time, the Medigap selection, under my own power and care, not in the HRA setup.

I am leaning to doing that. I am probably going to get the AARP/UHC Plan G which is attractive to me for a couple of reasons. First, DH has had for several years and we have had no issues with them so it is a known quantity. I also know how their prices increases have been for the last 6 years and they have been reasonable. I understand how the age related discount works and reduces each year.

And -- I like the 5% discount for DH and I. But, I am not confident of Via Benefits competently doing what has to be done to be sure that I get the discount. I know it sounds simple but I am worried they will mess it up and we won't get the discount which would be a significant loss.

(Oh - 2 days ago the Via Benefits page showed AARP/UHC plans available, yesterday it didn't, today they are back again).

And use the $2,100 to pay Part B premiums, and a Part D drug plan like you mentioned as an alternate solution. I would consider going with a more expensive Part D than needed for the first year, a plan with zero or very low deductible, for two reasons: First, they would be paying for it. Second, you could use that time you have with it in 2019 to get both ShingRx shots, which are $$. Then for 2020, drop back to a cheaper drug plan

I am probably going to do a variation on this. I can't really do a 0 deductible plan as

Then, as the years go by and by, if the Part B premiums start to eat up most of the $2,100, drop the drug plan out to your own payment.[/QUOTE]

The cheapest $0 deductible plan would require me to pay $144 out of pocket this year. But the ShingrX thing might make it worthwhile anyway. I will look into it.

When I search for Humana document TX81077HC, I get the following brochure for Medigap plans from HumanaDental Insurance Company. The rates I provided in a previous post are for individual supplement plans from Humana. The rates can be different since they are two different companies with separate rate filings. It's similar to how Mutual of Omaha (United World) and Cigna (Loyal American) sell Medigap plans under different company names with different rates. UHC does not play the "name game" which explains why the retiree premium matches the individual premium.

Humana document TX81077HC: http://apps.humana.com/marketing/documents.asp?file=2647814

I think you have it. I think that Via Benefits is using plans from other subs that charge more.

So Via Benefits may not be tacking on a surcharge or otherwise increasing the rates for these Medigap insurers, instead they only offer policies from higher priced clone companies. Is there some benefit to Via Benefits to employ this strategy?

It does make you wonder. Do they get a higher commission or fee for these higher priced subs than for the lower priced options.

I am really about 90% sure I am just going to go with AARP/UHC and get the 5% discount and have done with it.

For a prescription plan, I would probably pick the AARP/UHC Walgreens plan (Walgreens is 1 minute from my house), although I think Telly's suggestion is also a good one. I'm going to analyze that a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom