Which performs better for the long term.

Which is better. Total bond market or intermediate term treasury
They're both pretty crappy.

VBTLX Total Bond
YTD -3.2%, 1yr -1.36, 3yr -3.53, 5yr -0.13, 10yr +1.18

VSIGX Intermediate Treasury
YTD -2.84%, 1yr -2.27, 3yr -3.34, 5yr -0.20, 10yr +0.90

I dumped our VBTLX position entirely 2 years ago, and put all that $ directly into Treasury Bills. I'm in no hurry to go back to any bond fund, though the worst of it may be over for them at this point.

I dumped our VBTLX position entirely 2 years ago, and put all that $ directly into Treasury Bills. I'm in no hurry to go back to any bond fund, though the worst of it may be over for them at this point.
I didn’t dump ours but I did stop adding to it. I should have dumped it.

short-term treasury fund for me, which has ~10 years of spending

everything else in an equities index.

I guess that depends on your point of view. I've lost multiple years of growth and earnings that I could have had if I had moved the money.

You'll get it back in higher dividends and increased NAV.

Performance of VBTLX over 1,2,3,5 and 10 years looks bad. 5 year Total return is just 1.58% or just over 0.3% per year. I dumped all my bond funds in 2022 due to the recommendation of many bond experts on this forum saying bond funds do not perform like individual bonds. I switched to multiple CD ladders paying 2.2% or better. Most 1 year CD’s have been paying 5% or more over the past 20 months. I have an order in for a 3 year, non-callable CD at Wells Fargo paying 4.85%. In my opinion, bond funds will continue to pay tiny yields for the next few years. Better to stick with CD or Treasury’s.

I dumped all my bond funds in 2022 due to the recommendation of many bond experts on this forum saying bond funds do not perform like individual bonds. I switched to multiple CD ladders paying 2.2% or better.
I'm newer here and would like to read about that. Do you know where I can find those threads? Thanks.

Last edited:
The thing I dislike about BND is that no matter how long you hold it the dividends are never qualified so you end up paying more in taxes.

If you haven't sold shares, you haven't lost anything.
Not quite. It would be better to say that the loss has not been cast in concrete. The concrete part happens when the loss (or gain) is realized. It’s a nit, I think we both know what you mean. But, reality has a way of hitting us over the head if we aren’t careful how we treat it. For example, if the shares were offered as collateral on a loan, the lender might demand additional collateral if the shares fall beyond a certain point.

You'll be happy you didn't in a year or two.
If bond index funds are there to zag when stocks zig, well, they have performed admirably since 2022. I’m just hanging on to my 40% allocation and powering through, expecting that:

- Yields will continue to rise as the underlying bonds cycle through the 6.5+- year average duration. Current yield of BND is 3.36+ up from “laughable” a few years ago. That doesn’t suck, historically.

- Since the Fed and Treasury have made recessions illegal, they’ll eventually slash rates and BND price will go BOING. At that time, BND will be stuffed with relatively higher yielding issues.

According to Weiss BND YTD return is -1.60%, 1 year total return is 2.07%, 3 year total return is -8.79% and 5 year total return is 0.12%. Why accept such poor returns, when 1 year CD is paying at least 5.0%?

You'll get it back in higher dividends and increased NAV.
I don't think this is true. I believe it was pointed out that VBTLX (and other bond funds) sold many many bonds off in 2022/2023 at a huge loss. If so, that part of your holding is gone, never to return. You'll get higher divs and increased NAV on the 90% that's left which still won't beat just holding bonds to maturity. Bond funds look to me like building a bond ladder and then panicking and selling your bonds before maturity.

According to Weiss BND YTD return is -1.60%, 1 year total return is 2.07%, 3 year total return is -8.79% and 5 year total return is 0.12%. Why accept such poor returns, when 1 year CD is paying at least 5.0%?

Yep, total bond market funds got burned because of their exposure to long-term issues.

There's at least one financial guru out there who says long-term are for institutions, but individual investors should go no longer than intermediate-term.

Plus backtests over on Bogleheads showing intermediate Treasuries are the way to go.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of BND. I do not think you want to index bonds.

But anyone who thought their bond portfolio was set and forget lost a lot over the past couple of years.

Demonizing bond funds misses the point. The real villain was duration in a rapidly rising rate environment.

Now I do not expect that to happen again any time soon. But you have to pay attention to rate trends. Bonds will not magically deliver a positive return in all environments. Nor will anything.

Not quite. It would be better to say that the loss has not been cast in concrete. The concrete part happens when the loss (or gain) is realized. It’s a nit, I think we both know what you mean. But, reality has a way of hitting us over the head if we aren’t careful how we treat it. For example, if the shares were offered as collateral on a loan, the lender might demand additional collateral if the shares fall beyond a certain point.
The behavioral finance crowd has studied in detail the fact that we little mammals are very loss-averse. That is why we pretend that when the value of our assets goes down that we haven't actually lost anything. It is not accounting; it is psychology.

Said another way, it is a sunk cost problem. The original cost of any asset is sunk -- in the past -- and is properly ignored when when making decisions about that asset. Another common example is the urge to "hold it until it gets back to where I bought it."

The lender is right, of course.

Back
Top Bottom