Who out there consumes multiple media at the same time?

back in '16 when the Cubs were in the World Series a buddy and I, who was in another city, were texting back and forth during the game. we did the same thing during the playoffs. made "watching the game together" more fun. he and his wife and my wife and I were in the same living room for game 7.

It does feel like you're sharing the experience, doesn't it, even from a distance? :D

Yup. Always multiple media. Evenings almost inevitably The Economist paper magazine with public radio classical music in the background.

I couldn’t tell you the last time our TV was turned on. Certainly its been months. Maybe a year of more. We consider it to be a total waste of time. Same-o for most internet videos. I can read much faster than a talking head can talk, so reading a news story is my strong preference. YouTube videos, which I sometimes need to watch, can be painfully slow. Typically I click along the time line to fast forward skip over much of the tedium.

When at home and during the weekdays, I always have the business news on TV when the market is open, sometimes switching between a couple of channels. At the same time, I'm usually on line actively trading stocks (2 or 3 trades a day on the avg), sending emails, surfing the web, (including this and two other forums I frequent) etc. So if you see me post a buy or sell order in one of these threads, you'll know I got mixed up. :)

It may also help explain some of my incoherent posts. :LOL:

Last edited:
While a live sports show is on , I mute the sound (there is nothing the announcers say that I will miss :)) and stream music (from our home music database) while using the internet or programming/playing with technology.

As I was typing this, John Coltrane's version of "My Favorite Things" just came on. Such timing... :)

I do. Doesn't everyone stream multiple media simultaneously?

BTW, nice thread title convergence in my forum feed:

Who Out There Consumes Multiple Media at the Same Time?
Is This the Norm These Days?

ME!
Not enough time in the day to do one thing at a time. It makes life interesting.

We will have music on, I'll be playing the pokersszzzz, she'll be doing games or texting folks on phone and pooter at same time, have a book open on Kindle on pooter, surfing the net, talking on the phone, watching Youtube video's, and we both will be reading to each other the latest stupidity from the news or many forums....

So yea, ms gamboolgal and I are goofballs also....

We text each other and Skype each other while sitting beside one another in our fancy His & Hers retirement chairs...ha...

Then the dam computer starts advertising what ever we talk about...

I have to call her afew times per day as she loses her phone quite regular....

I like to listen to podcasts on my laptop computer. It's easier for me to focus on the podcast if I am doing something mindless at the same time, like jigsaw puzzles or sudoku on my iPad.

Never. I want to focus on one at a time, without interference from other distractions.

I almost always have the TV on while I'm doing something on my PC, such as reading or posting here on ER.org. As others have posted, I will go to IMDB while watching a TV show, especially one of my favorite 1970s shows such as All in the Family, Bionic Woman, Star Trek, or Charlie's Angels, to see if I correctly recognized an actor or actress, and to see if they went on to bigger and better things.

Sometimes, I am eating breakfast while I do these things from my "Command Station."

While not at my Command Station, I often have the TV on while I play a Strat-o-Matic baseball game with my cards and dice. After the game, when I enter the game's stats into a spreadsheet, I am back at my Command Station multi-tasking.

I couldn't if I tried! I can't read or concentrate with anything going on in the a background, especially music. Even when driving and trying to get through some complicated directions I have to turn the radio down - Lol.

I do always have multiple tabs open on my computer and surf between various tasks there, like reading the news, shopping or texting, for example.

Yes, especially when one source is not interesting enough to capture my undivided attention.

Back
Top Bottom