Who We Spend Time With Across Our Lives

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
An interesting article today. Obviously these numbers are probably just a little different this year. :D

https://ourworldindata.org/time-with-others-lifetime

Who we spend time with evolves across our lifetimes. In adolescence we spend the most time with our parents, siblings, and friends; as we enter adulthood we spend more time with our co-workers, partners, and children; and in our later years we spend an increasing amount of time alone. But this doesn’t necessarily mean we are lonely; rather, it helps reveal the complex nature of social connections and their impact on our well-being.

In my 20s I spent most of my time with other people bumming, (or ex-bumming), around the world.

Now, in my 70s, I spend 99.99% of my time with DW.

Both were/are great.

Looks reasonable.
Glad they did discuss that being alone is not the same as being lonely.

I am fine with spending some time alone, but my feelings about the increased time spent alone due to Covid 19 are pretty negative. When I cannot even guess the mortal risk of socializing, it troubles me.
I have a girlfriend, but this "be careful or perhaps die" situation we find ourselves in creates relationship stress for us. And I am definitely not a relationship genius in the best of times.

Ha

I am fine with spending some time alone, but my feelings about the increased time spent alone due to Covid 19 are pretty negative. When I cannot even guess the mortal risk of socializing, it troubles me.
I have a girlfriend, but this "be careful or perhaps die" situation we find ourselves in creates relationship stress for us. And I am definitely not a relationship genius in the best of times.

Ha

The misery and after-effects of this enforced alone-time is affecting a lot of people. And guess what, none of us are relationship geniuses. Or at least I'm not.

From what I gather from reading the forum, I spend more time alone than almost anybody here. Mostly that doesn't bother me (being an INTJ), but I miss the smiles of strangers more than I thought I would.

As an off the scale introvert, I'm sort of the 'canary in the coal mine' when it comes to feeling isolated. DW and I are happy together, BUT I've finally begun to feel isolated by Covid. So, the mainstream must be close to cracking but YMMV.

I’ve gotten better about it. But in general I hate being alone. In that way, aging concerns me somewhat. Guess I’ll adjust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom