Whoa! Daughter asked investing book...

Flyfish1 said:
Any suggestions from the crowd? She has a degree in finance, so she knows a little already.

So presumably she knows the theory and mechanics from more thorough sources than a layperson book. I have "Behavorial Finance and Wealth Management: How to Build Optimal Portfolios That Account for Investor Biases" on my shelf. It's a pretty thorough treatment of how to apply psychology, but not day on the beach reading. She probably has the aptitude for it. For the other daughter, check out Morgan Housel's The Psychology of Money, and the Boogleheads wiki https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point the learning has to stop being theoretical (book learning) and become boots on the ground learning (invested money). Once they see a market decline (bear market) and real money disappears that is when stuff gets real. If they can hold on & see the other side & their money starts doubling will make them a believer in compound interest

This is the book I gave my daughter. It’s excellent:

Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have learned in School

It boils the basics down to 9 rules and is perfect for those who don’t have the interest or patience to read the dozens of books I read over the years

This is the book I gave my daughter. It’s excellent:

Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have learned in School

It boils the basics down to 9 rules and is perfect for those who don’t have the interest or patience to read the dozens of books I read over the years

Millionaire Teacher by Andrew Hallam and If You Can by William Bernstein are my 2 favourite intro level investment books. Millionaire Teacher is an inspirational story of frugal living and low-cost investing, broader than most investing books and a great starting point.

For more detail I like The Four Pillars of Investing by Bernstein, but it's a long detailed book that I would not recommend as a starter unless it's someone that really likes financial topics.

For the financially savvy daughter, I suggest Rich Dad, Poor Dad and all the books in the Rich Dad, Poor Dad series. In that book he makes the distinctions between being an employee, self-employed, a (big) business owner and an Investor. There's Retire Young, Retire Rich and Increase Your Financial IQ, among others. Rich Dad's Guide to Investing.

For the daughter who is not financially savvy, I thing David Bach does a great job of getting across the power of compounding in a simplistic manner in his book The Automatic Millionaire. It's a good eye opener to anyone new to basic finance and isn't a technical read. Even better, the audiobook is free to listen to on you tube.

Back
Top Bottom