Why don't lawyers retire early?

Honesty and Lawyer is like Water and Oil. ;)
It's a shame you feel that way. My experience has led me to the opposite conclusion, although some people may confuse lawyers with their occasional dishonest clients.:)

Last edited:
It's a shame you feel that way. My experience has led me to the opposite conclusion, although some people may confuse lawyers with their occasional dishonest clients.:)
You have to remembered that I have been divorced twice and sued once in my professional practice for something that wasn't negligence on my part.:LOL:

You have to remembered that I have been divorced twice and sued once in my professional practice for something that wasn't negligence on my part.:LOL:
That doesn't change my opinion of lawyers.:)

My brother is one of those honest attorneys...amazing amount of pro bono work each year....including any sad case i ever refer to him. He is 56 yo with a wife and a 7 year old son.

Tomorrow morning i am driving to his town to witness his being sworn in as a district judge. He has no plans to retire, though he is just 13 months younger than i.

I am very proud to have him as a brother ....he is so full of integrity....but i am not envious. I think his poorer retired teacher sister, with less integrity and a much lower pension than he will earn one day, is having more fun. :D

I don't really understand the Wal Mart reference. If you mean that Wal Mart is a low rent sort of place, full of tacky people, I guess that is arguably correct; but any reasonably successful retired lawyer who has invested prudently will not be compelled to shop at Walmart, and will be able to spend their time in tonier stores (or even doing things other than shopping!)..
The WalMart experience depends on if you are in a big city or a small town. In my town of 23k with 44k in the county it is the second largest grocery store in town, having better selections in some areas than the others. Of course for non perishables, Wal-Mart has Amazon as a competitor which with Amazon charging sales tax but still a bit cheaper. (It should be Amazon does not have the inventory costs of Wal-Mart if it is at the stores, however Wal_Mart online has a bigger selection, and leverages its distribution network to do direct to store free shipping, since the truck goes from the distribution center to the store anyway).
Things may be different in the big city or where super Wal-Marts are not allowed by the city fathers.

This describes me exactly. I'm 10 years out of law school now, with two young children. I'm a partner in a great firm, but I'm just not willing to make the lifestyle sacrifices necessary to spend the rest of my career here. So, I'm trying to wrangle my way into an in-house job. I'm probably jinxing it by writing about it, actually.

Actually, you're not jinxing anything. You may be in the perfect position to go in-house as a GC, DGC/AGC, or other mid-to-senior legal management type. Most in-house positions are asking for a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a particular field, with many asking for 10 years. It all depends on your legal specialty.

I have two young kids and can't imagine going back to private practice - EVER.

This describes me exactly. I'm 10 years out of law school now, with two young children. I'm a partner in a great firm, but I'm just not willing to make the lifestyle sacrifices necessary to spend the rest of my career here. So, I'm trying to wrangle my way into an in-house job. I'm probably jinxing it by writing about it, actually.

Actually, you're not jinxing anything. You may be in the perfect position to go in-house as a GC, DGC/AGC, or other mid-to-senior legal management type. Most in-house positions are asking for a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a particular field, with many asking for 10 years. It all depends on your legal specialty.

I have two young kids and can't imagine going back to private practice - EVER. It's not because I can't handle the law firm lifestyle, but rather because I choose not to do so. I could earn another $50-$75k a year, but I'd have to give up putting my kids to bed, after work athletic activities and time with my wife. Sorry, but those things are just as important, if not more important than my choice of career.

As for the money, in-house life compensates pretty well, particularly if you live in a low cost-of-living area. Unfortunately, my wife and I live in a high cost area, but she pulls in decent coin (sometimes better than me).

I'm planning on retiring from private practice at the end of the year at age 62. I have a small firm of 6 attorneys with 3 partners. 2 of my partners and I have been at it for 25 years. One partner is 72 and will never retire. But dying at the desk isn't for me. Untangling the business relationships and handing off clients is difficult. There is always one more case from one more client. At some point you just have to pull the plug.

Since this is a 4 year old thread, I'm curious how retirement has been for the soon-to-be retired attorneys who were in private commenting back in 2012? Any advice for someone who hopes to become a recovering attorney? Regrets? Things you would have done differently?

Interesting timing seeing this thread. I am an attorney and just today I had a phone consultation with a law firm succession consultant to start working on my exit plan. It's probably a 6 year plan but I want to set it up to be best for all concerned. I dislike the work, but enjoy the money, so will hold out a few more years. I should add that the reason so many lawyers keep working is they don't make very much and/or are horrible at running a business. I am utterly amazed at how many seemingly "successful" lawyers I have encountered who are really barely scraping by. I have seen this through family, friends, clients, etc... and a lot of attorneys are all hat no cattle or however that saying goes. Yes some of us make very good livings but a lot do not. A lot more than people would expect.

Wow. I posted on this thread back in the day. Still on target for me (now a small firm, 6-7 day week litigator) and DW (private practice OBG) to retire at 57 & 56. I made it easy in this job by declining ownership interest in firm and letting them know from the start in 2008 that I'd likely be out before 60; thus, fairly easy to untangle. The only thing slowing us down is getting a replacement for DW.

We've had too many years where the jobs had to take priority over everything else and sadly have become used to dinners at 8pm after leaving home at 6am. Time to finally take off our professional hats and get back to life. :)

In our peer circles, more of the docs appear to be getting less in love with their jobs. The lawyers, however, remain relatively uninterested in stepping off the treadmill.

I worked as a lawyer for state government and then for an insurance company. I never particularly liked working as a lawyer. I stayed long enough with the government job to vest into a small deferred pension. I worked for the insurance company for about eight years. In 2014 I was about 90 percent toward reaching my goal of FIRE. In July of 2014 I was fired and two weeks later I was diagnosed with cancer.

I had surgery and chemotherapy for the cancer. There is a possibility that I will stay in long term remission. So plan as I might, fate sort of put me into early retirement. It is hard to assess how great FIRE is when you are dealing with a life threatening illness, but in this last year I can say that I enjoy my freedom and there is nothing that I miss about work.

I was never one of those people who knew that they wanted to be a lawyer from the age of five. I simply saw it as a means to an end- FIRE. I do recognize that there are far worse jobs that pay far less money, so I was grateful for that.

I always lived below my means while saving for FIRE and I continue to do so. I am only 46, so I have not ruled out doing some type of paid employment in the future. I think it would only be something that I find pleasure in doing. But the cancer diagnosis forced me to realize that "time" is not guaranteed to anyone, so I wanted to get some retirement living in while I still had the chance.

i am not a lawyer, but there are several generations of lawyers in my extended family. By far the happiest one was a woman a little younger than I am who worked for a large county public defender's office where staff were county employees. She was a 60s firebrand and criminal defense appealed to her lefty leanings.

She married one of their investigators, and they have a well funded attractive early retirement, part of their excellent package. Most of the lawyers I know struggle. I think a law office costs a lot to run.

Ha

Some lawyers do retire early. I retired at 53 about sixteen months ago.

While I became a lawyer in small part because of my perception (at the time) that it was prestigious, the main reason was that I believed it paid well. I was lucky enough to get into the profession when fine pay was still possible. I started out in 1986 at $28K a year (!) but my raises were between $10K and $20K plus bonus and perqs. I worked my a*s off. It was sixty hours a week (always, without exception, at least 4 hours per weekend). By the time I left, I was making, with distributions, about fifteen times what I was making when I started. And once, there was a small jackpot of about $200K bonus.

Why did I do it? To get out at 55. That was my goal from day one. I lived frugally, helped to start a spinoff firm (a crucial move), maxed out the retirement plan, and then pumped more into an indexed portfolio.

My goal was to do art once I retired (I know, a common, somewhat stereotypical plan).

But guess what? I am doing it. I am into art big time and am making tons of friends. I am not great, but I am good, and I am working my a*s off trying to get some traction. Lovin' it.

The time chained to my desk might be a bad choice in the eyes of many, and there were health consequences I did not plan on. But I now have a life that I once only dreamed of. It is not perfect, but as the sixteen months have gone by, it has been pretty sweet. I am finally doing what I love, and I made the money to make that possible, without having to starve.

As to lawyers today? It is clearly harder. The raises are more grudging, and lawyers are flooding the market as law schools greedily peddle their wares to far, far more students than they should accept. The starting salaries are lower in many cities. Outsourcing and technology are replacing a lot of the tasks. Moreover, many young lawyers are, IMHO, less willing to ask "How high do you want me to jump?"

I have no easy answer for today's young lawyers except that if you want to be a successful lawyer making a really good income, you have to try even harder in most cases. Sad, and I wish it weren't so, but true.

But LBYM is still an ER option even with a lower salary. That's true for lawyers, longshoremen and liposuctionists (okay, I am only guessing that the last profession exists....)

Last edited:
I retired early (at age 52) from my position with the state as an Assistant Attorney General. Law was my second career with the state (first was in IT), and my cumulative service time from both was 35 years. My highest annual salary was $65K, certainly not an amount that anyone in private practice would envy. I have a state pension of $45K per year, which covers most of our expenses in retirement. I also participated in the state's 457 plan, and managed to save a nice amount. DH and I have now been retired 6 years, and have not yet touched our tax-deferred retirement savings. We do receive interest and dividends from our taxable savings accounts.

I retired early because I could, but also because my mental acuity -- especially memory -- was beginning to decline. I know many lawyers much older than I whose minds are as sharp as ever, but I thought I needed to quit before I became a detriment to the office, rather than an asset.

Last edited:
To give an update on my retirement from partnership in September 2013 (age 47), I have continued to work very part time as a consultant since then. I found it easy to walk away and I'm finding the part time thing is good for me. It keeps me engaged mentally and in touch with some people I like. (I also get the use of an office in the CBD + meeting rooms and a small income.)

One of the things I've learnt about myself is that I like to be moderately busy with things that I find meaningful and to have at least a small amount of structure in my days. Maybe I should get some therapy.

I've been approached for another part time position that would require about 15 hours a week (on average) for a reasonably uplift in income. I don't need the money, but the job sound interesting and there are things I would like to spend the money on. Still sitting on the fence.

I worked with a lot of attorneys at very large law firms in the last 30 years.

Some retired in their 40s, some kept going to/past 65. It's a lifestyle for some; some have 3 families and spend every dime they make. Everyone has a different story.

the three lawyers I know well, personally are aged 68,68, and 70. all are still working.

of the two 68s, neither can afford to retire. One never saved a dime along the way, and swears he doesn't mind working. He only works about 20-30 hours a week. He only does one type of law. His wife is his only employee. I think he's good with it.

The other 68 hasn't saved enough, and his body is breaking down to the point that he can't see himself doing a lot outside of work. He works 50-60 hours/week. He likes it. He never ever complains about work.

The oldest one could retire, financially, works at least 50 hours/week. He loves it. Never complains about work. He's healthy, strong, has outside interests (lake home, golf) but loves practicing law.

So reasons vary, but at least one over-riding reason in my mind is that "they can". They aren't going to be fired, down-sized, or have some boss make them relocate their lives to the point they'd rather quit. Also, unless they are suffering cognitive issues, physical impairments that might make a dentist, a surgeon, a carpenter or someone who has to travel a lot, quit, won't preclude them from continuing.
They don't have a boss insisting they work more hours than they want, so they can fit work into life, rather than trying to fit life around work.

As I got to be an older dentist, I got better at the thinking part, but the physical part got harder. A lot of jobs are like that. Law, maybe not so much?

Here is another blog of a FIRE'd lawyer.

https://anonlawyer.wordpress.com/

The author is in his 30's and practiced in big law (was an equity partner) and currently living in SF. It's a decent read. Maybe he's here on the forum...

I think there will be fewer ER lawyers since there is a glut of them and so many have LARGE student loans. The better school here in Atlanta has a tuition of $51,000 a YEAR. Students overwhelmingly take out loans for this as well as an annual living stipend of $20,000'ish a year. I imagine it's tough to retire early when you come out of school with over $200,000 in law school debt and aren't able to land a coveted big law associate position!

I posted back in 2012. At the time I was semi-retired working about 15 hours a week for the same firm I had been at for many years. 4 years later, I still do some work but only a few hours a month and entirely from home. Honestly, at the time, I didn't really think I would still be doing any work at this time. I do it to be helpful with colleagues who sometimes want my thoughts on something. The idea of "being a lawyer" is no longer something that I think about all that much since the vast majority of my time is non-working time. I am not sorry that I semi-retired at 56. And, I'm not sorry that I have continued to do some work which is entirely optional to me. My opinions in my long post in 2012 are still pretty much the same.

Speaking as a recovering atty, I tend to agree that in broad brush, the law more or less attracts 3 general types: (1) those for whom it is a calling; (2) those who want to save the world; and (3) those who are a bit indifferent to The Law, but are highly motivated to make a good living for themselves/family, and also find it intellectually stimulating enough as a career. These are of course gross over-generalizations, and there's a bit of overlap across the groups, with a lot of (1) and (2) grouped together.

Many of the RE candidates among lawyers I know are in (3). (1) and (2) won't leave b/c they truly love the work and/or can't afford to quit due to low paying public interest/sector jobs or b/c they are paying alimony to two or three ex-spouses b/c they bill 2500 hrs a year!

On the other side of that, however, legal skills improve over time with experience and usually hard-earned wisdom. It's often the 60-70+ y/o senior attorney who has seen it all before who can cut through a bunch of crap and get stuff done/resolved. They've seen it all and take no gruff from anyone, judges, peers, clients or regulators. That's one positive reason they stay if they enjoy it - they help their clients or employers and are well paid for it.

For those looking to RE, I think it's a lot easier to do in a corp role where you have the chance of an equity event or at least equity compensation to boost your returns. Many big firm lawyers are too busy to tend their investments actively and are prohibited from taking direct stakes in any current or potential clients -- so they end up in mutual funds with a set-and-forget approach. This works, but takes time ... and once you've paid of your loans, etc. you may not be on the early track.

FWIW, I am more than happy to not be practicing law one year into RE, and I've found plenty to occupy my time, incl some consulting and BOD work and a very active trading business.

Speaking as a recovering atty, I tend to agree that in broad brush, the law more or less attracts 3 general types: (1) those for whom it is a calling; (2) those who want to save the world; and (3) those who are a bit indifferent to The Law, but are highly motivated to make a good living for themselves/family, and also find it intellectually stimulating enough as a career. These are of course gross over-generalizations, and there's a bit of overlap across the groups, with a lot of (1) and (2) grouped together.

Many of the RE candidates among lawyers I know are in (3). (1) and (2) won't leave b/c they truly love the work and/or can't afford to quit due to low paying public interest/sector jobs or b/c they are paying alimony to two or three ex-spouses b/c they bill 2500 hrs a year!

On the other side of that, however, legal skills improve over time with experience and usually hard-earned wisdom. It's often the 60-70+ y/o senior attorney who has seen it all before who can cut through a bunch of crap and get stuff done/resolved. They've seen it all and take no gruff from anyone, judges, peers, clients or regulators. That's one positive reason they stay if they enjoy it - they help their clients or employers and are well paid for it.

For those looking to RE, I think it's a lot easier to do in a corp role where you have the chance of an equity event or at least equity compensation to boost your returns. Many big firm lawyers are too busy to tend their investments actively and are prohibited from taking direct stakes in any current or potential clients -- so they end up in mutual funds with a set-and-forget approach. This works, but takes time ... and once you've paid of your loans, etc. you may not be on the early track.

FWIW, I am more than happy to not be practicing law one year into RE, and I've found plenty to occupy my time, incl some consulting and BOD work and a very active trading business.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense when I apply it to the 3 lawyers of which I spoke. Congratulations on your happy RE.

I'm 59 and still practicing after 35 years. I think TallTim makes a good point. In many occupations you are past your prime in your 50's. I bet you won't see many female gymnasts older than 19 in the Olympics. Lawyers can be better in their 60's than they were in the 40's. It feels good to be getting better and better at something. I know some active lawyers in their late 70s that are still very good at what they do. I won't be one of lawyers practicing into their 70's. I'm already winding down, but I wonder if I'll miss it when I out done. I'll probably be in the class of 2019 or 2020 and will find out then.

So reasons vary, but at least one over-riding reason in my mind is that "they can". They aren't going to be fired, down-sized, or have some boss make them relocate their lives to the point they'd rather quit. Also, unless they are suffering cognitive issues, physical impairments that might make a dentist, a surgeon, a carpenter or someone who has to travel a lot, quit, won't preclude them from continuing.
They don't have a boss insisting they work more hours than they want, so they can fit work into life, rather than trying to fit life around work.

This may be true for lawyers who work as sole practitioners but is not true for partners in big law firms - if you do not perform eventually you get moved down the equity ladder and asked to leave. The pressure to keep the recorded hours high and the revenues coming in can be immense. As for working hours, clients basically assume you will pick up the phone 24x7 and that there is nothing more important in your life than servicing their needs.

Back
Top Bottom