WIFI Mesh Networks

Right. When they are turned on, tell them to use "Bridge mode" or "Wireless Bridge" or whatever it call it. Basically, it just passes packets instead of acting as a router.

You pick one as the primary device. Typically it talks to the cable mode or whatever provides your internet access. The others are just located on our home's network (LAN) and pass packets to/from the ethernet from/to WiFi.

It's really quite easy to setup (on the WiFI devices I've used).
That is the way to go. I've managed to cover our entire home, including full basement, and two floors, with two routers and cable modem. One router is in the basement, towards one end of the house. The other router is on the second floor, towards the other end of house.

Another thing to consider, is that ethernet cable properly installed solves many problems. OTOH, an improper connection will cause many problems. End to end, the connections must be consistent, and to spec.

I had a 20+ year relationship with a client, because his plumber/electrician/phone guy used/created several wiring "standards" when connecting a mass of ethernet cable in a three story commercial building.

Most houses probably need one or two good ethernet runs to solve all of these wifi problems we hear about.

Right. When they are turned on, tell them to use "Bridge mode" or "Wireless Bridge" or whatever it call it. Basically, it just passes packets instead of acting as a router.

Here's an example. This is the Synology WiFI router and it offers a choice at set up of either Wireless Router or Wireless AP (Access Point, which is another name for Wireless Bridge).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 3.45.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 3.45.30 PM.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 12
I would try different channels and use the signal strength app on the phone to find which channel is the cleanest. 2.4ghz supposedly penetrates better than 5ghz but not sure if that's true. nothing beats a wired access point. I have one on each floor and it boosts the speed a little when I wire into it. Otherwise I have some skipping issues with Netflix in my 2 story 3100sq ft home. Router is on lowest level which might not help, I hear you want it centrally located to usage areas.

If you have ethernet running to most room you might consider placing inexpensive WiFi routers in each room - or at least in every as many rooms needed to get coverage. Set them up using the same SSID and you should be fine.

My home WiFI network has three Apple Airports that form a single WiFI network. Each router is connected to house ethernet network.

This should work better than a mesh setup with devices having to communicate with each other over WiFi.
Thanks. I've thought about this as well. DW is not fond of the idea and has aesthetic objections. I tried an access point but it didn't work, but I'm not sure why not.

A couple of Apple routers is really not any less expensive than a mesh system, although it may be more robust.

You might have wifi issues but sounds like you will survive an EMP in you personal faraday cage.
:2funny: That's what I was thinking, too! Reminded me of a job I interviewed for back in the early 1980's, that involved tasks such as securing an overseas embassy a little further wrt to electronic snooping. I didn't take the job (too spooky for me, not a good fit). But also, little did I know that stucco could do so much in that regard.

A couple of Apple routers is really not any less expensive than a mesh system, although it may be more robust.

I feel your pain. We have similar house construction issues to yours and use 3 Apple Airport Extremes set up in a mesh (no ethernet in the walls, argh). One is hardwired to the router and 2 are setup as "wireless extenders" (or whatever Apple's term is) along with one powerline bridge to get to a particularly onerous area. It is very stable and setup took only a few of minutes.

If you chose the Apple path, make sure to use the same generation equipment. I had a "short" Apple Airport Express that I initially tried to use with a "tall" Apple Airport Extreme. Had to reboot it every so often (weeks between reboots). Switched to just using "tall" Airport Extremes (one has a Time Capsule drive) and the intermittent reboot requirement has been gone for many, many months.

Back
Top Bottom